Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Polaris Rzr EPS 570 SXS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take my 2017 Spyder RT in for the sprocket repair recall. I looked up the nearest Can Am dealer down in Phoenix 86 miles away {arrrg} and if Phoenix ever gets a cooler than normal day {none in the ten day forecast} will ride down first thing in the morning and then scurry home back up to our mountain home in Payson.

While on their website I scrolled through their "pre owned" inventory and came across a nice 2020 RT in the same beautiful blue as mine, with 12K+ miles {mine has 7,000}. They are asking $24,999 and boy I hope they get it. I paid $18,000 for mine 18 months ago and it only had 5,000 miles and was {is} in mint condition. Makes me wonder what mine is worth on the used market??? Any guesses?

The only upgrades I've added are a Laser alignment, rock guard for the drive belt, new AGM battery and a nice mount for my i Phone. It came with all of the bells and whistles and the tires are still good, no where near the wear bars. Here is a recent pic:

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
will ride down first thing in the morning and then scurry home back up to our mountain home in Payson.
Call ahead and make a "firm" appointment before you "scurry" down there.
Right now, no dealer has the parts to do the recall.......and when they do get some, the line likely will be about 86 miles long waiting for the service.
If you just show up, you will be VERY disappointed.

·
Registered
2017 Polaris Rzr EPS 570 SXS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully mom did not raise that big of a fool... :eek:

No way I am driving down into the "Valley of the sun" aka hell on earth without a standing appointment to be first in, first out. An 0800 appointment should get me back on the road by 9 for the 90 minute return to the cooler temps of Payson at 5,000'.

Due to the parts shortage they are saying they can only do a simple bandaid fix at first followed by the completion sometime in August. As noted, my Spyder only has 7K miles and it is unlikely that it will be a problem before then but I would like to at least get phase one completed. If they will fix it for free I am in... but it could be a while.

o_O

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
As noted, my Spyder only has 7K miles and it is unlikely that it will be a problem before then but I would like to at least get phase one completed. If they will fix it for free I am in... but it could be a while.

o_O
There really is no "phase one".

They basically will just look at it and if it is not bad enough to cause a problem, they will send you back home.
IF it should happen to be really BAD, they likely will KEEP your bike until the right parts come in if they deem it too dangerous to ride or they damage the old pulley during inspection.

You can look at the pulley yourself......by popping the top left body panel off (the one by your left knee) and looking back inside there with a flashlight. If there is no obvious damage to the pulley and little to no "red dust" then you can save yourself a trip.

Mine has a little red dust. I am riding it until the parts come in.
IF.......it should strip out completely, it will just coast to a stop.
Not a major problem in my book........unless maybe you ride like a fool.
:)

·
Registered
2017 RTL
75 Posts
I agree with Easy Rider ,I am going to ryde my 17 RTL until the new sprockets are available in August or September. My closest dealer is a 2hr ryde away and they told me I have to bring it in and leave it for the recall repair. So I will ryde all I can until I can’t! I inspected my sprocket for red dust and it looks fine now.
Not going to let my Spyder set at a dealer waiting for a part that will not be available for some time.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
and they told me I have to bring it in and leave it for the recall repair.
You should NOT stand for that crap.
If it is still riding OK, the repair should take no more than an hour.
They should start a list and call YOU to make an appointment when the parts arrive.
I would be tempted to talk to the OWNER......and then call BRP to complain.

This is kind of like telling you that you must bring your vehicle in and leave it to have new tires mounted.
And they will get to it whenever it is convenient for THEM.
Bunch of bull crap.

·
Premium Member
2020 F3Ltd
16 Posts
You should NOT stand for that crap.
If it is still riding OK, the repair should take no more than an hour.
They should start a list and call YOU to make an appointment when the parts arrive.
I would be tempted to talk to the OWNER......and then call BRP to complain.

This is kind of like telling you that you must bring your vehicle in and leave it to have new tires mounted.
And they will get to it whenever it is convenient for THEM.
Bunch of bull crap.
Yep! That's it here too. My service manager and I had some extedned correspondence about waiting up to 7 hours for a 60 minute job. It appeared that I was a nuisence customer expecting a time for drop-of to matcn their time of actual repair. I made the 'making an appointment ' case and was treated very well. Next appointment was for a 60K km service with tyres, alignment and a couple of little fitment jobs and I had to leave the bike for two days. Ho hum! Still, I like them and there has never been any dissatisfaction from me regarding the quality of their workmanship. Let's not mention the $s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts