Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
I can't see any wire in your picture.

A "zip tie" does not make a wiring connection.

What kind of light are you trying to connect ?

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
I'm still not following.
Are you saying that there is a wire with a connector on it dangling around loose in the front below the frunk but above the "splitter" ??
If so, I don't have any idea. Might want to ask a dealer before you go connecting to something like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Assuming you're asking what the plug behind the chin light is used for, it's to plug in the light you bought from SMs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that is what I thought also. But when you watch the video of installation for the light he runs the wire back and up to the switch.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
You need to TEST that wire first.......to be sure it is hot when you want it to be and OFF when you want it to be.
Also need to have a good ground available if that is not one of the available wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well that is what I thought also. But when you watch the video of installation for the light he runs the wire back and up to the switch.
The wire he runs to the switch is probably the "switch" wire and the one on the machine is where you tap power.

·
Registered
2014 RT Ltd SE6
30 Posts
WOW! You're going to rear apart a perfectly new untried product. Why don't you reach out to Sling Mods for help. I took a quick look at the written directions and this light has an on/off switch that you are installing with the light. You are tying the SM wiring to the Spyder plug just to secure the SM wire.
That's how I interpret the instructions, but call Sling Mods for clarification.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Figure of speech LOL. Still waiting on my light. I received my other products from them but no light.

·
Registered
2021 Spyder RT Limited
2 Posts
The Spyder has a couple of accessory port wires ready to use. One is under the frunk (and connected into the plastic piece). The wire is hot when the ignition is on but it is not in use upon delivery unless something was installed that requires the source of electricity (like a SlingMods add-on). There is another of these wires near the brake fluid container on the right side. It is being used but SlingMods gives you a "Y" connector that allows it to now be used in two applications. The SlingMods horizontal light (under the frunk) uses this accessory plug near the brake fluid rather than down by the light itself. Makes sense as the power from this plug goes to the switch being installed, and then from the switch down to the light itself. It is simply the closest accessory port to the switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So light is installed. The wire that is plugged into the plastic piece where the light goes is still not in use. I just zip tied the light wire to it. Light is very bright. Not sure I like the blue backlight for the switch though. I like everything to match.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
The LED light bar mods sold by slingmods and others are manufactured by a company called Nelson & Nelson Mfg. out of Jonesboro AR. I reached out to them with questions about the amperage draw of their lights. Still no answer. But to give my two cents worth to this question, Flyboss is correct in describing the accessory points available. But I would much rather have a more professional and finished install (even if nobody will ever see it but me). I have bought these types of plugs female and male from amazon and mouser and used them extensively on off road light bars. They have a silicone seal to make them weather/water resistant. Google "two wire weatherproof automotive connector" then look at the image results and find the one that most closely resembles that one. They are made by several manufacturers. To do the job right, you will need a pair of molex wire crimpers. I guess it just depends on how far down that rabbit hole you want to go to make it the way you want. For me it beats tying back the OEM connector just to use the Slingmods connector and their extra wiring. IMHO.

·
Registered
4 Posts

This is a snipet from the Spyder Manual. As you can see the Accessory connection and the GPS connector, share the same fuse. But the GPS connector is only a 20 gauge wire. Very tiny is designed for signal and data transfer mostly. The 18 gauge going to the accessory plug is 18 guage and can handle up to 15 amps ( depending on the load chart you may reference). So the Sling Mods and OEM wiring are both acceptable for the lights, I believe. But I would hesitate to plug much into the GPS connector as it could very well smoke the wire. I don't like running a load through a switch. It puts the switch at risk for overheating and arcing of the contact points. Instead the lights should run through a relay controlled by the switch. With that setup, you could very well get away with using the GPS connector at least for the control side of the circuit. Then you could tap into J5 of the left side fuse box (it is unused) for the higher power consumption of the lights themselves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts