Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new Spyder owner I'm still getting adjusted to the handling of the Spyder, particularly at high speeds and in the wind. Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I wasn't able to locate this question.

It seems to me the front of the Spyder is not as steady on the pavement as a motorcycle, and I find it disconcerting to feel as if the wind or blast from other vehicles is going to push me out of my lane. The ride seems to be affected greatly by the pavement or wind. It seems I remember seeing someone suggesting to lighten up on the grip of the bars. I've ridden a motorcycle many thousands of miles, but I'm a two-week owner of the Spyder. Am I doing something wrong or is it simply a matter of getting adjusted to the feel of the Spyder at higher speeds of 70 or more?
Bruce

·
Registered
306 Posts
What I've found is that when driving at high speed with very high winds (high wind warnings out) is that it was me trying to hold on and not be blown off. When the wind hit me I was moving the handle bars just a little. Holding the bars a little looser helps but easier said than done. I set tall in the saddle and the wind can feel like it is lifting me off the bike. I rode to Spyderfest in Cuba, MO in winds so high it was trying to pull my helmet off my head, at time taking my head with it. The Spyder held true as long as I did not move the bars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a case of relaxing your grip just a WEEEE bit... You'd be surprised at how the ower steering magnifies any input to the bars... even (especially!!) the unintended ones! :D
Thanks Bob. I thought I had seen that mentioned. I'll give it a try next time.
Bruce

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
hang on and go WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heeh

then clean your drawers out next time you stop..

BUT you do need to watch out for sudden lane changes in real high gusts.. happened to us last weekend.. good thing no one was coming towards us in the opposite lane and I never moved the handle bars..

just one of them deals with all the panels and no way for any wind to go through the frame

1 - 5 of 5 Posts