Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 RT Limited, at between 45 55 Mile and I are I'm hearing a high pitched whine. If you go slower it stops if you go faster it stops, has anybody experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Is this your first motorcycle ?
You are sitting right on top of the engine.
It is normal to hear all kinds of noises that most people aren't accustomed to.
A whine from the transmission likely is normal but it is new, have the dealer check it out.

NOTE: If it is doing that in FIRST gear, then you need to shift sooner.
A LOT sooner. :oops:

You do know that it has 6 gears......and that it will not shift UP automatically.......right ??
:LOL: (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Test #1 If you can safely jack it up on to either jack stands or a wheel stand (same type sport motorcycles use) to suspend the rear wheel then test for the noise to see if it is the belt / rear tire.

Test #2 if there is a large hill and you can cost down and reach 50 mph safely in neutral (this mostly eliminates the transmission) and engine is idling.

Then report results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 RT Limited, at between 45 55 Mile and I are I'm hearing a high pitched whine. If you go slower it stops if you go faster it stops, has anybody experienced this?
I have a 2021 F3 Limited and I get the exact same high pitched whine. I'm thinking it's a transmission whine....Same sort of noise you would get from the straight cut gears; however, you probably noticed that it is there even when you shift between gears. It's annoying...can't even play the radio...although the sound system is not really the greatest anyway. Let me know if you find out anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2021 F3 Limited ... It's annoying...can't even play the radio...although the sound system is not really the greatest anyway. Let me know if you find out anything.
Have you talked with your dealer and do you have a jack and jack stands where you could lift up the rear and listen for the noise. I agree that motorcycles / three wheeler make noises but this is not normal. I had a BMW K75 shaft drive with straight cut gears that made a whine but it was constant at all speeds / gears not 50-55mph. Also, for the price of a limited BRP and the dealer should make more of an effort to ivestitgate the issue.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Others have indicated that BRP has now recognized this as "abnormal"......but that they have no "fix".
I suggest that you check with your service department again and contact BRP directly.
There should be a number in your warranty booklet.

Note: The OP has not been back for 2 months now and that usually indicates that he will NEVER be. That is sad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Others have indicated that BRP has now recognized this as "abnormal"......but that they have no "fix".
I suggest that you check with your service department again and contact BRP directly.
There should be a number in your warranty booklet.

Note: The OP has not been back for 2 months now and that usually indicates that he will NEVER be. That is sad.
I read this post on Spyderlovers:
SpyderLovers Forum Whinning from Transmission frequent complaint

The tires can be noisy, but a lot of it at that particular speed/RPM is gear noise from the engine and transmission. My 2015 does it and it drives me nuts so much I downshift to get to a different RPM range. It is really bad around the 45 to 50 MPH range. These engines have straight cut gears which are noisier (and cheaper to make) than helical cut gears. One plus is straight cut gears are stronger. I switched to full synthetic oil and it helped a bit, but not enough to be a real fix. The way these machines are laid out tends to amplify or direct noise right at the rider. Brake pads rubbing is one such noise, straight cut gear whine is another.
Would be a good test to jack up the back and confirm location / gears that make the noise. Maybe do the same test with the rare F3 with manual transmission / clutch - pull in clutch and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Almost every motorcycle made in the last 70 years or so has straight cut gears.
And almost all of them have a "whine" because of that and the "constant mesh" design of the transmissions.
Some are more noticeable than others.
(Note: I am no longer welcome at SpyderLovers.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Almost every motorcycle made in the last 70 years or so has straight cut gears.
And almost all of them have a "whine" because of that and the "constant mesh" design of the transmissions.
Some are more noticeable than others.
(Note: I am no longer welcome at SpyderLovers.)
These are good points. My brothers 1982 KZ750 with stock exhaust was loud both for the whine and overall engine noise which could be described as very "busy" and was loudest at high rpm. I don't own a spyder / ryker yet but since there are limited options by owners I'm getting more requests to work on them so I have been slowly coming up to speed on problems or concerns (real or imagined).

I have long had "issues" with motorcycles for turning out the same basic product year after year. My first bike a 1981 Yamaha XS650 Special "banged" when going into first gear and so does my 2012 NC700X. It took around 15 years+ after cars had fuel injection for it to be standard on most motorcycles / scooters. The 1983 BMW K100 was fuel injected but it take 20 years for the suzuki gsxr to introduce it. Coil on Plug (vs spark plug wires & coil) is still hit and miss. So we have to have a certain tolerance for these shortcomings. Now all electric is on the horizon and will eliminate all of these issues but possibly introduce some new ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts