Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
At times there is a whine that comes from the engine area and I was wondering if such a noise is typical. It seems to happen more frequently when coasting but not always.
Thanks for your help.
Windchaser:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a transmission or drive train noise

I also have a transmission or drive train noise that seemed to start within the first 30 miles driven on my new 2009 SM5 Spyder which I picked up yesterday. It primarily occurs when downshift and let off on the throttle to slow down.

It feels like there is considerable backlash in the drive train when alternating between accelerating and decelerating.

I will call the dealer on Monday, but in the meantime I thought I would see if other Spyder owners have encountered similar problems.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a transmission or drive train noise that seemed to start within the first 30 miles driven on my new 2009 SM5 Spyder which I picked up yesterday. It primarily occurs when downshift and let off on the throttle to slow down.

It feels like there is considerable backlash in the drive train when alternating between accelerating and decelerating.

I will call the dealer on Monday, but in the meantime I thought I would see if other Spyder owners have encountered similar problems.

Thank you.
Mine does the same , it might be a Rotax thing , on my Outlander 800 I get the same whine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my new 2009 SM5 for about two weeks now and put about 450 miles on it so far. I'm starting to get the hang of it after being on two wheels for 25years. It's been more of an adjustment than I expected, but I'm liking it more with each ride.

I also noticed this extremely annoying whine or whirring sound since pulling out of the dealership. On mine it seems to happen while coasting at low speed coming to a stop with clutch pulled in or not. It's worst is between 25 mph through to stopping. The brakes have no affect on the sound. I got a shop manual to see how to adjust the belt because it felt too tight to me and hoped that loosening it up a bit might fix the problem. I don't have the specified sonic tensioning tool that's in the book, but I did loosen the belt a few turns and align it properly on the sproket. Mine was against the sproket wall and is supposed to be 1 to 3 mm way from the inner wall. This did seem to lessen the sound some, but it's still there. The belt is still fairly tight so I may loosen it some more to see what happens. I'm just not sure how loose is too loose. I also plan to visit a dealership or two and see if I can take one or two others out for a test ride and to see if it's my bike or just an embarrasing annoyance that goes along with this machine.

I also backed off the parking barke adjustment a bit as well. After these initial adjustments to belt and brake, it also seems to roll more freely over all (less drag in general).

In my case, the brake adjustment had no affect on the whining/whirring sound, only the belt adjustment did. I can only hope that they didn't overtighten my belt from the start and damage a bearing.

I'll know better once I hear a few other Spyders.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had my new 2009 SM5 for about two weeks now and put about 450 miles on it so far. I'm starting to get the hang of it after being on two wheels for 25years. It's been more of an adjustment than I expected, but I'm liking it more with each ride.

I also noticed this extremely annoying whine or whirring sound since pulling out of the dealership. On mine it seems to happen while coasting at low speed coming to a stop with clutch pulled in or not. It's worst is between 25 mph through to stopping. The brakes have no affect on the sound. I got a shop manual to see how to adjust the belt because it felt too tight to me and hoped that loosening it up a bit might fix the problem. I don't have the specified sonic tensioning tool that's in the book, but I did loosen the belt a few turns and align it properly on the sproket. Mine was against the sproket wall and is supposed to be 1 to 3 mm way from the inner wall. This did seem to lessen the sound some, but it's still there. The belt is still fairly tight so I may loosen it some more to see what happens. I'm just not sure how loose is too loose. I also plan to visit a dealership or two and see if I can take one or two others out for a test ride and to see if it's my bike or just an embarrasing annoyance that goes along with this machine.

I also backed off the parking barke adjustment a bit as well. After these initial adjustments to belt and brake, it also seems to roll more freely over all (less drag in general).

In my case, the brake adjustment had no affect on the whining/whirring sound, only the belt adjustment did. I can only hope that they didn't overtighten my belt from the start and damage a bearing.

The belt comes from the factory quite tight. It does loosen up as the motor mounts take the set.

I use the Gates Krikit II V-belt tension gauge that I got at some auto parts store (about $20?) The Krikit I is for a lower tension range.

I had a reading of 250Lbs on the belt when the Spyder was new.
Now that I have 2500 mi on it, it reads 220Lbs. I've never adjusted it.
That will give you an objective point to start from in adjusting the belt.

You should be able to go lower that that if you like, there's quite a bit of wrap on the belt so slipping shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The belt comes from the factory quite tight. It does loosen up as the motor mounts take the set.

I use the Gates Krikit II V-belt tension gauge that I got at some auto parts store (about $20?) The Krikit I is for a lower tension range.

I had a reading of 250Lbs on the belt when the Spyder was new.
Now that I have 2500 mi on it, it reads 220Lbs. I've never adjusted it.
That will give you an objective point to start from in adjusting the belt.

You should be able to go lower that that if you like, there's quite a bit of wrap on the belt so slipping shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the info Latemarch. I'll keep the Gates gauge in mind if needed. I did loosen the belt some more since my last post and it made a BIG difference this time. The sound it still there, but it's very minor and no longer embarassing or annoying. If it stays like this or better, I'll be content. I think I could probably go a bit more if desired. My belt is still snug with no slop, but I can now move it a bit where before it was so tight, it didn't move at all. I put over 400 miles on it since this adjustment and in addition to the improvement in the whining noise, the bike just "feels" better. Maybe it's my imagintaion, but it just feels like it rolls more freely, even when pushing it around in the garage or sitting on an incline at a light.

I'm obviously not the only one with this issue, so I hope this info can help someone else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our SE5 was doing howling too (exactly as described) but it looks like the dealer and tech department advised adjusting the drive belt - update tomorrow when I pick her up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transmission Issues and Problems

I have also purchased a brand new 2009 Canam Spyder phantom with the 5 speed manual transmission
I hear rattling noise when I apply the throttle up to 30 miles per hour.. it sounds like metal on metal.
I have also had to bring the bike back to the dealer several times.
the most disturbing part of this amazing bike is that I had to have the transmission taken apart after putting 20 miles on the bike.
This should never happen on any new motorized vehicle.
for a bike that's basically a 1000cc bike it's really slow top end wise..
I am going to get rid of this bike and purchase 2 new crotch rockets instead.
I am not a happy camper when it comes to BRP

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
The Spyder is really not a crotch rocket, 1000 CC yes, but it is heavy and has a big frontal area.... hey it has three wheels and a lot more suspension and storage then a cycle! Good old physics gets in the way of top speed as the force to push a body though air goes up with the square of the velocity timex the wind resistance.

The tranny issue is surprising as each Spyder is driven on a roller Dyno prior to shipping and overall the tranny has proven pretty dependable. It is to bad you are leaving on such a sour note.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2010 rt and have the same whine like stated above and the belt is riding against the stop.. have the 600mi service this week and will find out more...

·
Registered
39 Posts

I have the same issue.. taking in for 600mi service this week and will see what dealer says..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently bought an '09 SE5 with 1350 miles on it and it too has the noise you're talking about here. I know these are older posts but I wonder how the issue was resolved, if it was. I'd sure like to get rid of this noise! I have a Harley with belt drive and it doesn't have any such noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts