Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a greenhorn on trikes! Never had a motorcycle before. Just started doing some research and the Can Am Spyder seems the perfect fit.
The née ones are coming close to $30,000, so maybe a used Spyder to start.
Any recommendation for years to look at, RT or F3? I would like a comfortable cruiser type, but will mainly use locally, going to nearby rally’s, etc.
Love to hear your input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would for sure get the 1330 motor you don’t want any bike that is 10 yrs and older the motor takes more to keep going and many shops don’t like working on them due to parts. If your going used then the newer the better the RT will give you the option to tour when your ready I have the 2021 Sea to sky and its been a lot of fun.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Motorcycle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would for sure get the 1330 motor you don’t want any bike that is 10 yrs and older the motor takes more to keep going and many shops don’t like working on them due to parts. If your going used then the newer the better the RT will give you the option to tour when your ready I have the 2021 Sea to sky and its been a lot of fun. View attachment 7064
And it looks great! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2017 RTL
59 Posts
I have a 17 RTL for over 2 years now and it has been trouble free. Bought it used with 5300 miles on it. Now have over 22000 miles on it.
Added a lot of upgrades myself. These Spyders are easy to work on. Closest dealer is 2 hr ryde from me so do all maintenance and upgrades myself. You will love the Spyder once you get use to it.
Artie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 17 RTL for over 2 years now and it has been trouble free. Bought it used with 5300 miles on it. Now have over 22000 miles on it.
Added a lot of upgrades myself. These Spyders are easy to work on. Closest dealer is 2 hr ryde from me so do all maintenance and upgrades myself. You will love the Spyder once you get use to it.
Artie
Artie, Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll keep the forum up to date on my hunt!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely good advice to get a 1330 motor. Buy the newest and lowest mileage trike the budget will allow. The F3 sits you a little lower and is more of a cruiser feel. The RT sits you higher and is more comfortable for touring. You didn’t mention a passenger. if you are going to ride two up a lot, the RT will be better.
Is music important? If you listen to music all the time in the car, might want a trike with a radio.
If there is a rental available somewhere near you, would recommend driving one for a day. Check if your state doesn’t require a motorcycle endorsement on you license to operate a trike.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely good advice to get a 1330 motor. Buy the newest and lowest mileage trike the budget will allow. The F3 sits you a little lower and is more of a cruiser feel. The F3 RT sits you higher and is more comfortable for touring. You didn’t mention a passenger. if you are going to ride two up a lot and mathen the RT will be better.
Is music important? If you listen to music all the time in the car, might want a trike with a radio.
If there is a rental available somewhere near you, would recommend driving one for a day. Check if your state doesn’t require a motorcycle endorsement on you license to operate a trike.
Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the advise. I’ll bring along the wife on the ride. Visited a local dealer and was extremely disappointed today. 3 or 4 stripped out F3’s and a very base RT. They cost as much as a compact car.
I’ll probably bide my time and check another dealer next riding season and keep an eye for used on Cycle Trader.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
59 Posts
Bk, go to Spyderlovers.com and check out the for sale forum. There are a few Spyders on there for sale. Don’t know if any are close to you though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts