Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2015 Cam AM Spyder RT and planning a long trip. What's your take on importance of having a back rest when on a long ride?

If you recommend a back rest, should I go with the Can Am OEM or there's a Show Chrome back rest at less than 1/2 the cost. I've purchase some items from Show Chrome and they seem of decent quality.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have a 2015 Cam AM Spyder RT and planning a long trip. What's your take on importance of having a back rest when on a long ride?

If you recommend a back rest, should I go with the Can Am OEM or there's a Show Chrome back rest at less than 1/2 the cost. I've purchase some items from Show Chrome and they seem of decent quality.
Although I have a back rest, given a choice I would not have bought it(came with the bike when bought used). I find that sitting my TeaBag on the passenger seat, making adjustments, provides a very comfortable back rest that can double my storage.

Can Am want too much money and I have never liked the quailty/ cost of Show Chrome products.

Just my opinion.

Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the BRP back rest and wouldn't ride without it. In the past my Gold Wings have always had them. It's like electric windows. You never miss it until.... also I have lower back problems and the rest makes it so I can ride 300 mile days without issues. Personally I feel like BRP is way too proud of theirs but it does do s good job of cradling your back and providing support. If you do go that way have the dealer order the 'new' rest that is adjustable... the older ones require a 80 add on to be adjustable. That alone makes it tremendously better... I drive a 15 RTS....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personal Choice

I have a back rest as well.. Sometimes I like other times I do not. It pushes me forward on the seat which I do not like so, around town I tend not to use it and if riding single I would use it on long rides.

Hope this makes sense

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also purchased a backrest from BRP. We have the comfort seats and the backrest takes a couple inches off the seat. It forces you to sit closer and will not work. Will try to bend the metal to lean backrest back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a backrest that came with my 2015 RT S, and I like it. I have to remove it when my wife is riding, as she is short and can't get her leg up and over the seat with the backrest there. Also it gives us more room. As for my last ride, a 2000 Honda ST1100ABS, it did not have a backrest, but on long trips, I used a Kuryakan bag on the passenger seat to provide a backrest and was very thankful for it. As for me, Ilike it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 16 RTS. It didn't come with the backrest but I had the dealer throw it in. I am 6'4" and noticed the loss of legroom with the backrest. I fell down last year (in the house) and fractured 3 vertebrae. Back support is very important to me. I would not ride without one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Makes sense to me. All the back rests I've tried keep me pushed forward and cramps my hips with the lack of leg positioning. Makes good sense for lower back support on long trips,just not for me .

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am a two wheel rider and have back rests on my bikes as well. I have a 2015 Spyder RT and I have a Show Chrome rest and I am quite happy with the quality, however, I think that Utopia makes a better product but at a much higher cost, however, still lower than BRP. I would not consider a ride of any significant distance without it. Additionally the Show Chrome piece is removable which works well if you have frequent passengers or if you choose to have baggage on the back seat to act as a back rest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I originally bought the Show Chrome for my 2014 RTS but it never felt just right especially when riding double with my wife, I sold it and purchased the Can Am backrest . Although it was double the price , to me it is more comfortable and looks better, I should have bought it in the first place and ultimately would have saved money.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I have 2016 RT and got OEM backrest when it went out the door. I would not be without it, the BRP cost but worth the extra to me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
had to modify

I have 2016 RT and got OEM backrest when it went out the door. I would not be without it, the BRP cost but worth the extra to me.

i have 2015 rts have show chrome back rest i had to bend the bracket it didnt match up to the hole in the stock seat other than that it has worked being removable is a bonus when the wife rides

·
Registered
5 Posts
Backrest

I have been wanting one for awhile, now on a long trip I place travel bag on passenger seat and rest against it. I have an above knee prosthetic leg on left side so it is impossible for me to raise one leg over a backrest without falling. I'm still able to get on the Spyder RT with the travel bag. If they made a backrest that could be folded forward and held down (like on springs) so I could get a leg over then I would get one.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Have 2016 RT Limited, bought BRP backrest with bike and love it, did not change my ride position, folds down making it easy for wife to get on/off. Never ride without it. Worth the extra money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I won't ride single without a backrest. When I ride 2up she is my backrest. l have a RT-Limited with the BRP adjustable backrest. To me it is a lot better than the old fixed BRP backrest but not nearly as comfortable as the Show Chrome backrest my buddy has or the Mustang backrest I had on my other RT that I wrecked. Also before I had a backrest on my first RT I used a sleeping bag in stuff bag. Worked ok till you needed fuel. I used bungie cord straps to hold it in place till I discovered they were cutting into the passenger handholds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks bsoding. We purchased 2 Utopia backrests, one for each of our 2015 RT Limited Spyders. They are perfect. We now have a BRP driver backrest, new in box, for comfort seat or for production seat (Kit PN 219 400 358) that we have no use for. Anyone in need of a driver backrest for RT? We ridiculously overpaid for it but would like to see it get utilized. Contact me if interested. TTullos

1 - 20 of 23 Posts