Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just asking you all on here to answer a question for me. Or at least get some opinions.
Here in the Austin area there have been at least two fatal motorcycle accidents written up in the newspaper in just the last couple of days. Both accident stories told of someone on a motorcycle coming up too fast behind an automobile and had to slam on the brakes very quickly. One of these simply ran in to the back of the car and it was lights out for that poor fellow. The other one said the bike fishtailed and fell down killing the hapless rider.
My question, after debating with my nephew, is which stops quicker...a bike, an automobile or a Spyder. My nephew says a bike will stop a lot quicker than a car. Some old Harley riders told me It might stop, but the back end may come around and cause you to have a wreck. Now I know my Spyder will stop so quick it seems to just squat down where it is, so I think it will win hands down.
But which is second, a car or a bike? Any one with bike experience care to answer?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think that is a pretty broad question to answer simply. Modern cars I believe all have anti lock brakes however their stopping distances still vary wildly. Throw in cars with front discs/rear drums and old cars with all drums plus worn or defective brakes and your times will be all over the map. I think motorcycles vary a lot as well with a lot depending on age, make and type of bike and whether proper maintanence has been done. The spyder should stop very quickly given their rather large anti lock disc brakes and how stable the platform is. I would think your typical sport bike would stop faster than a heaver Harley or gold wing kind of like my MR2 Spyder should stop faster than a Ford F150 pickup.

For me I try and leave a lot of space between me and whatever is in front to allow for my 58 year old reaction time and the occasional pretty girl distraction.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think that which ever vehicle has a rider/driver paying attention will stop the quickest! I agree with Corybud! Pay attention and leave enough room will prevent many rear ender accidents.

Aside from that, anti-lock brakes do a couple of things. 1) They allow you to maneuver during maximum braking situations. 2) A side result of which is that the braking distance will be increased. Having said that rider/driver attention is perhaps the best braking tool.

Having anti-lock brakes does not mean that you can tail gate the car/bike in front of you or pay less attention still be safe.

Knowing that anti-lock brakes make my stopping distance longer does not mean that I will disable them either. Being able to maneuver during hard braking is well worth the added stopping distance caused by ABS.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
My #1 rule of the road is, the best way to avoid an accident is to not be there when it happens.

Usually that applies to cages, dogs, etc that are also on the road. But if it's a case of riding too fast for the conditions and running into something, you'd better hope your brakes and reflexes are up to it. A poor second is to be sure your horn works ;). I'm not sure what a third choice would be...:eek:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I agree that the Spyder stops the fastest; second I would go with a car, if we're considering safely stopping. Odds of grabbing too much front brake and flipping over the handlebars or the back end fishtailing out from under you are pretty good. Just my humble opinion...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input, fellow Ryders. I got some great safety tips for open road ryding.
Sassapnts,
I would consider your humble opinion right on and an excellent one. One in which I agree.
Larry

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Best thing is to have an out.
Always be in the most left or most right lane.

Yesterday, on a 4 lane highway, everybody was doing around 115km/h 70mph.
On the Spyder, boss on the back giving me orders, I was in the left lane.
Suddenly somebody 4-5 cars ahead does something stupid, everybody hits the brakes hard.
Hit the brakes, look in the mirror, see X3 coming fast. while braking hard moved in the left runoff area. when everybody stood still, the X3 was beside me!!

He, in his cage, on the phone, and smoking and obvious was not paying attention to driving. He is now shocked, rolls the window down, goes sorry, and throws his siggybutt out the window.

I went:
"Hey, trying to kill me?", and keep your butt in the car, they fly in my helmet, I don't Sh*t in your face, you don't throw Sh*t in mine.
Then a cop pulls up behind me (he was about 10 cars behind us, he said later when I commented that he was there quick) and goes you are not to be in this emergency lane, I pointed to the 3 feet between the 2 cars and said either here or there.

I was told go straight ahead wait past the accident for me, told the X3 driver, "give me your driving license and ownership, follow him and wait past the accident."

After he and the other cops cleared the accident, they came over, talked to me and the boss about what happened. Then he talked to the driver, who was on the phone and 3 butts on the road beside the car..
He got a nice speech, ticket for following to close, ticket for using cellphone and one for littering!!!! ($250 for that alone!!!)

Then the cops (after ticketing the people that caused the crash) talked to me about the spyder, how I got out of the way, and were deeply impressed with the nanny systems)

We may see some OPP officers riding Spyders, as 3 were motorcycle cops.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks for all the input, fellow Ryders. I got some great safety tips for open road ryding.
Sassapnts,
I would consider your humble opinion right on and an excellent one. One in which I agree.
Larry
:D Great minds think alike!

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is a 2 second rule you should follow it is the minimum distance you should be following some one check and object on the side of the road and as the vehicle passes it go 1001 1002(and don't say this fast) and see if you have passed the same object if you have you are about 2 seconds behind that vehicle. Remember this is only a minimum. PS don't be preoccupied with anything else but driving the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I sometimes ride with someone who has every type of electronic device wired into her motorcycle. GPS, Cell Phone, I Pod etc... While I can understand the GPS when riding unfamiliar areas I only have an intercom so I can talk with my wife, who is blind, when she is with me. The rest I view as distractions so have refused to hook these up. I do take my cell phone when I ride but it is relegated to the frunk in case of a break down or other emergancy.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I sometimes ride with someone who has every type of electronic device wired into her motorcycle. GPS, Cell Phone, I Pod etc... While I can understand the GPS when riding unfamiliar areas I only have an intercom so I can talk with my wife, who is blind, when she is with me. The rest I view as distractions so have refused to hook these up. I do take my cell phone when I ride but it is relegated to the frunk in case of a break down or other emergancy.
My cellphone is relegated to the frunk, too. I don't see that anything is important enough to interrupt my enjoyment of the road while I'm riding. My phone is for my convenience, not everyone else's. Nothing I can do from wherever I happen to be to help whoever is calling, anyway!

My husband and I are thinking we'd like to get an intercom, as well, that will go between our rides, so we can talk to each other while we're on the road. We had one installed in our helmets when we rode two up, but haven't gotten one since we've been riding individually.

For some reason, I prefer to listen to the bikes as we ride and the natural noises. Works in conjunction with the wind to clear the cobwebs out of the brain!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts