Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I’m old, and my balance, and strength are not good enough to keep riding my Harley Road Glide, and my Springer Softail , I am considering buying a Spyder RT-S with SE5.

The speed limit where I live, Southern Utah, is 75mph. As you know, if the speed limit is 75 people drive 75 or faster. If one drives 60-65, you will get run off the road.

1. Is it reasonable to expect a Spyder to run all day at 75 or 80mph?
2. How should I expect Spyder to behave in the wind or truck
turbulence on the interstate?
3. Also what is the gas mileage at 75 or 80mph?

Thanks,
Rdogs1972 in SW Utah

·
Registered
40 Posts
greetings from (cold) Austria ..

no problem for the RTS to reach more than 100 mls/hour
in the newer "last" version what they build now 2011 the "wind" - problems should be dissolved
here you see mpg .. very variable depending of your rides
Browse All Can-Am Spyders | Fuelly

and you will like it !!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wind stability of 2011 vs 2010

Is the 2011 better in the wind, than the 2010? I'm going to look at both today for the first time. Were changes made to improve stability, and are they obvious?

rdogs1972 in Santa Clara, Utah USA

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
1. Is it reasonable to expect a Spyder to run all day at 75 or 80mph?
2. How should I expect Spyder to behave in the wind or truck
turbulence on the interstate?
3. Also what is the gas mileage at 75 or 80mph?
Good morning! I traded in my H-D Ultra Classic last August on an RT-S and haven't looked back. I've been riding since 1971 and over the past 20 years, have been doing serious long distance endurance riding (Iron Butt Association related) and have gone through three Wings and the Ultra Classic. By far, the RT-S is the most comfortable touring machine available. I made the "mistake" three months ago of having my wife test drive my RT-S. Then the whining started....."I want one!" We're now a two Spyder family. RT-S and an RT-AC. Question One - not a problem. Question Two - again, not a problem. The RT-S handles turbulence on the interstate better than any of my Wings or the Ultra...it just feels different (not worse, just different). Question Three - At 75 or 80 mpg the mileage sucks. If you keep it under 70, you can reasonably expect to get 27-30 mpg. Go over 70 and it will drop to 22-25 mpg. Also the mpg depends a lot on the headwind. The RT is not the most aerodynamic machine out there.

All that being said, I wouldn't trade the ryding experience I get with the RT-S for all the Wings, Classics and high mpg in the world. Ryding the RT-S literally puts you into a different, wonderful world! I hope you will join us in that wonderful world!

Take care, my friend!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We will have a Can-Am Spyder Dealer Here

I looked at Can-Am Spyders at the closest dealer to my home, and I liked what I saw. I was going to buy one, and then sanity returned. The dealers are in Las Vegas, and I live 110 miles north in Utah. When I considered the service logistics, It didn't make sense, so I didn't buy.

A new store "Moto-Zoo" opened here in February. Yesterday, March 5, 2011, I visited the store, and discovered they will be a Can-Am Spyder dealer in April.I am going to take a test ride on March 9. Here we go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts