Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a quadreplegic that is riding my Spyder...yes that's right. I have done the modifications that have worked out very well....except one. :(

I am using the Corbin saddle and it does not have enough padding (tore my butt up). Does any one have experience with a seat pad that distibutes weight evenly and cools when the temp is hot and vise versa?

I have been on line and noted the ButtBuffer and the AirHawk2.

You should see my ride! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I swear by my Air Hawk cushions. I've got them on my HD EGlide and RSS and they work as advertised. A bit pricey, but worth it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Reddog.
I used an Airhawk on a 2-wheeler I owned. For me, it added about 45 minutes of ride time before significant discomfort set in.
PS. The Airhawk uses the same technology that Nursing homes use for pressure ulcers ( bed sores).
ed mcmillan

·
Registered
24 Posts
The stock Spyder saddle is a bit on the light side, and the shape is not bad for the average rider.

However, different butts need different saddles, whether for a bike or a three-wheeler. There are lots of stock bike saddles that are great looking but notoriously uncomfortable.

The key to a comfortable saddle is to spread the load out. High pressure points (generally the area where the pelvis is poking down) squeeze the blood out of the flesh, and the pain you feel is the flesh starting to die.

A good saddle has both the correct shape to spread the load (for your butt shape) and a resilient shock absorbing layer to further cushion the flesh.

The Airhawk is a good temporary fix. It has small interconnected air bladders that will allow the air to bleed around and reduce the pressure points. You can add or subtract air to find a pressure that works best.

However, the Airhawk (or any other top pad) adds some height to the seated position, and also allows some movement between butt and saddle. Yes, you can secure an Airhawk in position, but it's still an add-on.

My suggestion would be to take your machine to one of the aftermarket saddle builders and let them make you a saddle that fits your butt, your leg position, and your riding style. Not just any off-the-shelf "aftermarket" saddle, but one custom built to fit you personally. That's what serious Long Distance riders do.

pmdave

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw a posting on spyder lovers.com about a seat thats called the kontour seat. the web site is kontourseat.com. The seat is custom made to fit you and the fabric does not trap heat. I hope this helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
i use the RT - the seat was too soft for me - and the camel-knuckle didn`t allow me to move backwards .. couldnt find the right position ..
a (retired) friend chànged the complete foam and made a new skin over the original plastic..(possible to rechange it)
is a little harder now - but also my wife likes it on longer tours

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts