Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my husband and spent a lot of time on the Spyder this weekend. We road all afternoon on Saturday and I was ready for the 50 miles trip to Sterling. My confidence was up and I was ready to go. That is when the rain started. No bikes ride to Sterling.

My stepfather was so excited when I showed him pictures of bike and he loved the video of my first ride around the court. He asked my husband if he could mount a camera on the front of his bike and record my next trip on the bike for him. He also wanted to plan a ryding weekend in Pennsylvania. He said he can get his club to take the trip and we can spend the weekend ryding together. I think that sounds great! He is very excited.

Today we just road around and I think I figured out what I was doing wrong with my turns and my acceleration. I was shifting into second too quickly. Can someone tell me where they normally shift? My husband said I am treating the bike like a car and that I need to go faster before shifting.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Glad you had a great weekend, Byte!!

I usually shift when I hit 4500 or 5000, unless I'm trying to keep my speed down to a certain limit. From what I've seen here and out there on the 'net, it seems that the newer bikes are supposed to be running at higher rpms before you shift.

Listen to your bike and pay attention to how it feels before you shift. You'll get to the point where you don't need to look when to shift, you'll be able to tell by the feel.

My husband told me that once in awhile its not a bad thing to let it get up to 6000-7000 before I shift; helps clean things off in there.

Where have you been shifting?

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Rotax V990 engine loves to run a high RPMs but will also works pretty well as low as 3,000 RPMs. Any lower will lug the engine.

Having said that, if I am taking it easy around town, I will shift between 3,500 and 5,000 RPMs. If I'm getting on the freeway/highway, I'll run it up to 7,000 or 8,000 RPMs. The V990 does seem to have the most power above 5,000 RPMs, so if you need to accelerate quickly, then run the engine above 5,000 RPMs.

You can not over rev these engines. The rev limiter will kick in and protect the engine well before there is any risk. I had an Aprilia with the same V990 engine, it limited the engine to 10,500 RPMs where the Spyders are limited to 9,500 RPMs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was shifting at about 3,000 Rev usually around 20 MPH to get to second gear. Apparently that is what was messing me up on my turns and accelaration. My last ryde on Sunday was great and at no time did my husband scream behind me because I didn't accelerate as fast as he expected me too. Little by little I am figuring everything out.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
*clapping* I just want to say it is a true pleasure watching you develop. Your posts make my day!
As for the rpm and shifting issue...I figured something out last week that is working well for me. I like to engine brake,band I would typically find myself in 2nd gear an around 20mph when I'm turning in somewhere. Well the engine doesn't like that speed in 2nd gear, so I find that if I shift into 1st and hold the clutch for a sec and then let it out steadily as I roll on the throttle, I get a much smoother turn and my engine likes me better. :). Not sure what everyone else does, but that is working for me.

--Andy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*clapping* I just want to say it is a true pleasure watching you develop. Your posts make my day!
As for the rpm and shifting issue...I figured something out last week that is working well for me. I like to engine brake,band I would typically find myself in 2nd gear an around 20mph when I'm turning in somewhere. Well the engine doesn't like that speed in 2nd gear, so I find that if I shift into 1st and hold the clutch for a sec and then let it out steadily as I roll on the throttle, I get a much smoother turn and my engine likes me better. :). Not sure what everyone else does, but that is working for me.

--Andy
Thank you for the encouragement. I like engine brake too, but you are right, she is not very happy in 2nd gear at 20 MPH. I think I have all the little parts now, I just need to bring them all together.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Keep it up, you're getting there!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ok, so I am really new to ryding :eek: and still just taking my Spyder around the block getting used to how it handles.

Being new to bikes in general, the engine revving thing doens't come naturally.

Am I understanding correctly that you are advocating shifting up from 1st to 2nd above 20 mph and between 3500 and 5000 rpm?

I feel I need some guidance here, because it sounds SOOOO LOUD and revved up :eek: if I wait until then.

I am also trying to find some professional instruction in the Baltimore MD area. Everything around here seems to be just 2 wheel bikes, all my calls, including to the DMV didn't get me any leads.

I checked out Apex in VA but their next course I can attend is in September, and I can't stand waiting that long, LOL.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Welcome to our little island of madness in a sea of conformity! :D
Based on what you've posted, I'm guessing that you've got little or no biking experience, and same goes for manual-shift transmissions???
NOT TO WORRY!! :D
It's as easy as falling off a ...uhhh never mind that! :eek: It's pretty easy anyway!
SM 5 transmission... Pop it down into first gear. (Foot on the brake!) SLOWLY let the clutch lever out... When you feel the bike JUST start to want to move forward a bit, take your foot off the brake. DON'T release the clutch lever just yet! The bike will slowly start to want to creep forward... Get a feel for that and then pull the lever back in... You have found the engagement point! :cool:
Of course you might already know all of this and I'm wasting your time... SORRY! :eek:
These motors like to rev, so twisting them up to 4500 rpm or so before shifting is perfectly acceptable way to run them!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lemur ryder - check with your local Harley Davidson dealer. The one's here in MS offer a trike course. They don't provide trikes for the class, but you have your own so you should be good. I imagine they allow spyders since it is a safety oriented class.

Sip

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Lemur!

Any motorcycle rider can give you the basics of shifting; Bob's done a good job up there if you learn by reading. Check with the local Spyder dealership, they should be able to point you in the right direction for instructions.

You are correct in your interpretation that second gear should be shifted into after 20 mph. Its much smoother that way.

Questions are welcome here - feel free to ask!!! Take your time and get comfortable at your own pace... we're here to cheer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts