Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have been using the forum to get as much information as i could about the Spyders so that i was in the best possible position to make a decision and purchase one.

On Saturday i took both an RS-S and an RT-S out for a drive to compare the two. I have to say both did not disappoint. The RS-S is very well planted and certainly has lots of "ooomph", but it was a fairly gusty drive with heavy winds and i did feel it was fairly hard work ( i've never had a bike so i'm probably a bit of a softie :). The RT-S on the other hand, is a much bigger beast, but driving the same route i felt very well planted, the wind was mostly kept at bay by the bigger windsheild and i found the drive less effort...but just as much fun. I was definitely a fan of the heated grips as well.

Anyway, as a newbie, i can see the appeal in both, and i don't think it is fair to try and suggest which is better, clearly they are aimed at different types of riders who want a different type of experience. For me, early 40s, never ridden a motorbike but wanting something to use to and from work in the good weather ( we do get some occasionaly here in the UK) and for a nice sunday drive in the countryside, the RT was definitely my preference. I also feel much more comfortable, after some practice and miles under my belt, having my wife ride on the back of the RT without fear of losing her off the back.

The bike i have purchased is brand new, but a 2011 model Black RT-S SE. It feels really stable and comfortable and has a great set of creature comforts. It will probably make a few people chuckle, but i felt like Eric Estrada (CHiPS) on my test drive, so i'm definitely going to have to get myself a badge :)

Only areas to get some feedback on for now is advice on how best to tackle sharp corners, here in the Uk we have roundabouts, and the RT does make you feel you are close to tipping over if you have anything more than very slow speed ( i know it won't). Also we have speed bumps in the road in residential areas, so i want to make sure i don't scrape the underside on them. I am guessing with the air suspension on the RT-S i have a button i can use to raise it when i need to ?

Anyway, great forum and thanks to all those who replied on my earlier posts.

Al

and yes, i'll post photos once i collect her ( hopefully Friday).

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have the '11 RT Ltd. I set the front shocks to max preload and set the front tire air pressure to 20 PSI. That made the cornering much better. Before the changes the front end would wiggle side to side when cornering with any speed, now it is on rails.

Some people have replaced their front shock and added/upgraded swaybars also. I have not done either and have no opinion on the value of doing so.

Watch out for water on the road. The light weight and wide tires will cause hydroplaning. I have not had that fun yet, but I have no ridden much in the wet either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the '11 RT Ltd. I set the front shocks to max preload and set the front tire air pressure to 20 PSI. That made the cornering much better. Before the changes the front end would wiggle side to side when cornering with any speed, now it is on rails.
Thanks for the advice. Just to avoid any confusion, could you explain what you mean by setting the shocks to max preload ? I have seen a few comments on Tyre pressure making quite a difference so i will definitely take up your advice.

Thanks again for your help.

Al.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Al!

You certainly went about it the right way - information, test rides, then purchase.

I'm an RS girl myself, so no help on the cornering for your new baby; me, I've found that either leaning a bit (just me, since the bike won't do it no matter how nice I talk to her) or sliding my hip down off the inside of the seat makes the curves easier and less prone to centrifugal force.

Lots of fun, these things!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts