Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :D

I am a new motorcycle rider and I have been doing the exercises that are listed in my manual to build up my skills on the Spyder. I have hit a bit of a bump, and I am looknig for advice on it

When I go through the weaving exercises, I am finding myself either rolling the throttle forward or back as I push/pull the bars for the turn; basically I am unevenly speeding up, slowing down and coasting thru the set.

After a set or two, my trottle control evens out alittle bit, but I end up finding myself mostly using my left arm to steer while my right is controlling the throttle.

Are there any techniques that anyone would know that could help me?
Proper body position? proper turning technqiues?

FYI- I don't have this problem with normal turning, only with these quick switchback inputs.

Thanks folks :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, it is interesting, because the throttle on my Spyder is one of the things I like best about it. I haven't exactly been BRP's best Ambasador For Sales, about most things, but the throttle, clutch, transmission, and brakes have all been about as good as any bike I've ridden, and I've ridden most of them.
Anyway, one of the first things I did, after I got the Spyder, was to put a palm assist on the throttle. Just $10, and it Valcro's right on. Once you get it adjusted, it really does make it easier to modulate the throttle position. Nothing but practice is going to make it smooth, through a sharp, low speed turn. It'll come, just give it time.
Good luck.
Dick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both :D
I am indeed new to twist throttles, so I figured that this is due to a lack of experience. Since this is normal, I will continue practicing!
afterall, only perfect practice makes perfect :D

FYI. I went thru an MSF class, and when I did the weaving lessons my only problem wasn't throttle control, it was keeping balance (and thus not keeping a clean line thru the cones).
The 3-wheels of the Spyder take the balance issue out of the equation; in fact all the other little issues that the instructor told me about are simply gone because of it.

@Dick Wells. Is this what you're speaking about?
http://www.narleychoppers.com/media/69/a20792a12918808a7cbdcb_s.jpg
When you jumped on a Spyder, that made you feel you needed a throttle assist; considering your riding experience?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Throttle

When I first started riding the Spyder I had the same problem. I started to press my right thumb against the throttle housing to hold my hand in place. It gets better with practice. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, that' sort of like it, but mine is not as flat. Fits the palm/wrist better. Actually, I took mine off my KLR, when I swapped bikes. Not needed for the short haul, but much more relaxing over the long haul.
This brings up a thought, for me. I haven't ridden a Touring model, could be a lot more stable and secure feeling than the RS. But, the thing is, with my Spyder, there's no way in H*** that I'd want to set the throttle &take my hand off the bars. No cruise control for me, on a Spyder, though I'd be fine with one on a decent two-wheeler.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use both hands to steer. I believe it will come automatically to control the throttle and steer. I travel a lot of twisties and switch backs and using just the left hand to steer would be impossible for me. But then that's just me!!:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use both hands to steer. I believe it will come automatically to control the throttle and steer. I travel a lot of twisties and switch backs and using just the left hand to steer would be impossible for me. But then that's just me!!:eek:
:D :D I agree, using only my left to steer is a bit impossible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About Palm Throttle Assists...

I am going to look into them, thanks DW :D
I hope their are insrtuctions or something, cuz I am nto sure how it woudl work, :eek:

I will definitely try using my thumb on the housing!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry I didn't think to do this, before. Just went out and pulled the wrist assist off. It''s call Throttle Rocker. I bought mine at a BMW shop, back home in 09 for my KLR, and I really like the thing. Simple, and easy to adjust. Just loosen the Velcro, and put the paddle where you want it, pull the strap up tight and push the Velcro back together. Keep re-adjusting until you get it just right. Once you see it, it's very much self-explanatory. Oh, make sure you buy one marked R on the inside. They do make L's, and I've often thought about buying one for that side, too, just to allow my left hand to relax a bit.
DW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, it is interesting, because the throttle on my Spyder is one of the things I like best about it. I haven't exactly been BRP's best Ambasador For Sales, about most things, but the throttle, clutch, transmission, and brakes have all been about as good as any bike I've ridden, and I've ridden most of them.
Anyway, one of the first things I did, after I got the Spyder, was to put a palm assist on the throttle. Just $10, and it Valcro's right on. Once you get it adjusted, it really does make it easier to modulate the throttle position. Nothing but practice is going to make it smooth, through a sharp, low speed turn. It'll come, just give it time.
Good luck.
Dick
Where did you get the palm assit? "I want one".:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I first started riding the Spyder I had the same problem. I started to press my right thumb against the throttle housing to hold my hand in place. It gets better with practice. ;)
Hey Jeff, I just got back from a set of weaving... yup thumb on the thrttole houses ~definitely helped!
I was able to keep pretty contant throttle unput and still push/pull w/ my right arm

Thank man! :D :D :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thumb

Glad it helped! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought that I had posted this, before, about 4 days ago, but don't see it on here.
Anyway, I got my Throttle Rocker at a BMW shop, for $10, but they're available on E-Bay. Do look for the one with a Velcro strap, so that you can pull it down real tight on your grip. The real Throttle Rocker is nicely shaped to fit right in behind your palm, at the heal of your hand. Some of the others are too flat, for me. Also, bear in mind that they come in both left and right.
If I was to do it over, I'd buy both. I just may get me a left hand one, anyway, to let me relax more on that side of the bars.
Dick

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a book available on driving three-wheelers, that includes lots of practice exercises to help you develop the necessary skills. It was written for sidecars, but the exercises work as well for a Spyder, and there is lots of additional information about staying alive in traffic. Driving A Sidecar Outfit, Printwerk Graphics, 800 736-1117.

However, if you can find a Sidecar/Trike Education Program available, I would strongly urge you to take it. You'll get lots of coaching from certified instructors to help you gain the right habits. For info, try Evergreen Safety Council (Seattle) esc.org or 800 521-0778.

pmdave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello :D

I am a new motorcycle rider and I have been doing the exercises that are listed in my manual to build up my skills on the Spyder. I have hit a bit of a bump, and I am looknig for advice on it

When I go through the weaving exercises, I am finding myself either rolling the throttle forward or back as I push/pull the bars for the turn; basically I am unevenly speeding up, slowing down and coasting thru the set.

After a set or two, my trottle control evens out alittle bit, but I end up finding myself mostly using my left arm to steer while my right is controlling the throttle.

Are there any techniques that anyone would know that could help me?
Proper body position? proper turning technqiues?

FYI- I don't have this problem with normal turning, only with these quick switchback inputs.

Thanks folks :D:D:D
Get your self some cramp busters, they are about $10.00 each I use them on both handle bar grips,one as a hand rest on the left the other on the right for the throttle, this way you don't have to have the death grip on the throttle, you use your palm to move the throttle. You can get these at any good motorcycle store. This way you can push or pull to steer the bike, you are better of pushing the handle bar than pulling, you wont get as tired as pulling to steer the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts