Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 09 se5 in march and love it very much.i brought it into the dealership for its 600 mile service and after i picked it up 20 minutes later it caught on fire.needles to say i have been rideless for two weeks.of course the dealer does not want to take blame.any feed back would be appreciated!:eek:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Makes no difference if he takes the blame or not. Unless you put a match to it the Spyder is under warranty so BRP should make good on repairs. David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles!! :( Can you please share more information? Was it a routine service with nothing else done? What was going on when it caught on fire? I would freak out if I was riding and it burst into flames. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feed back!im waiting to see what brp says about the warranty.no insurance wiil get involved until the warranty is validated or not.as far as more info.it was in for the six hondred mile service/10 hour check up and tweak.the found an exhaust code and fixed it under warranty.that day i picked it up and was on my way back to work.i noticed some smoke coming from under the left side a few minutes later this is what i had.so yes i was riding it and yes i was shocked.never the less i love the spyder and cant wait to get back on!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Warranty response

Hi, I have found that dealing with BRP is always a slow process. In my case I waited for 8 months for them to install a "safety" upgrade to my steering unit. I finally complained to the attorney general of my state (AZ) and to the highway traffic and safety administration. My Atty Gen'l did the most for me. Within 2 weeks I was getting calls from BRP in the USA. I thought they only had a Canadian contact. MY matter was resolved quickly after that. Try calling this number in Wausau Wisconsin (715) 842-8886 and ask to speak with someone in Legal Support. That might help. Good Luck to you. I also love my Spyder and just bought my second one a 2011 RT-S. Superb Machine!!
Paul

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Wow, how scary is that! Glad you were not hurt. Please do keep us updated on what happens.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi, I have found that dealing with BRP is always a slow process. In my case I waited for 8 months for them to install a "safety" upgrade to my steering unit. I finally complained to the attorney general of my state (AZ) and to the highway traffic and safety administration. My Atty Gen'l did the most for me. Within 2 weeks I was getting calls from BRP in the USA. I thought they only had a Canadian contact. MY matter was resolved quickly after that. Try calling this number in Wausau Wisconsin (715) 842-8886 and ask to speak with someone in Legal Support. That might help. Good Luck to you. I also love my Spyder and just bought my second one a 2011 RT-S. Superb Machine!!
Paul
You state you just bought a 2011 RTS, what is the other one? What do you think of the RTS? I have an RS and the wife has a Yamaha T-Max but she is talking about trading both of them in on an RT. I told her if we did that she would always be in the backseat. She seems comfortable with that. David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks again for the great advice and feedback!i spoke with brp usa today and was told to go ahead and call the insurance company before they did any more break down.so now its out of my hands the insurance co.are hounds when it comes to finding who is at fault.needless to say i should be back on the road soon!i hope!

·
Registered
9 Posts
David, A great reply to my msg! Thanks.
I bought the top of the line Spyder. The only thing it does not have is a GPS unit but I do not value GPS units so highly so I saved myself about $!500 by buying the RT-S. Before I bought my 2011 RT I had a 2009 RS......a nice bike and I made a lot of mods to it like a Corbin seat, F! Windshield, raised handlebars, highway pegs. The main reason I traded it in for the RT was that the RT has a lot more storage spaces, as well as cruise control, radio, and other goodies. I am not fortunate enough to have a riding mate but if I had one I am sure she would be much more comfortable on the RT than on the RS.
Encourage your wife to get the RT and put away both of your other bikes. She will even have radio speakers and heated handle bars!! And the hardness/softness of the ride can be controlled by the driver as you are riding! Is that neat or what?! Since there are 2 of you I would consider buying the trailer also but you can still carry a lot of luggage even without the trailer.
Best of luck to you......Paul
p.s. If you ever make it out to AZ please look me up, ok?

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's great. You just have to be persistent with BRP. They really are quite concerned with the quality of their dealerships so be sure and let them know what you think about your dealer.
Paul

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Glad to see it was not the entire bike, but I'd guess it will involve a lot more parts to repair than one would think at first glace. Many cars end up totaled even from a small engine fire.... prices for things like the computer, harnesses, fuel injection, and labor add up fast! I hope it all works out quickly, one good thing about insurance is they will make it happen!

I always carry a fire extinguisher in my cars and trucks, have one in the kitchen and garage too, but never gave a thought about carrying one on cycles or Spyders :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would never drive anything else! I am sold on Spyders. I used to ride a Yamaha RoadStar but traded it in for my first Spyder. In all honesty I have to admit that every once in awhile I miss a two wheeler but 98% of the time I am absolutely in love with my Spyder. I would never have any other kind of bike. One thing to consider, I don't know if it is too late or not in your case, but when I bought both my Spyders I also purchased an extended warranty and a pre-paid service contract for each of them. It would be nice if we could meet some time. If you ever make it out to AZ please look me up. I'm not sure what state you live in but let me know and if I ever make it out your way I will be sure to contact you.
Good Luck and don't give up on Spyders.
Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im deffinately sold on the spyder even though ive only had it for a couple of months.i like unique and diffrent.i already had replaced the windsheild and in the proccess of getting a corbin comfort seat.ill keep you guys posted:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Raised handlebars also help you to ride in a more upright position. I went to Kewlmetal.com to also purchase highway pegs. They help a lot also. If you are buying a Corbin seat, which I also had, I also bought the back rest. It makes a big difference as far as riding long distances (400+ miles a day).
Paul

·
Registered
377 Posts
David, A great reply to my msg! Thanks.
I bought the top of the line Spyder. The only thing it does not have is a GPS unit but I do not value GPS units so highly so I saved myself about $!500 by buying the RT-S. Before I bought my 2011 RT I had a 2009 RS......a nice bike and I made a lot of mods to it like a Corbin seat, F! Windshield, raised handlebars, highway pegs. The main reason I traded it in for the RT was that the RT has a lot more storage spaces, as well as cruise control, radio, and other goodies. I am not fortunate enough to have a riding mate but if I had one I am sure she would be much more comfortable on the RT than on the RS.
Encourage your wife to get the RT and put away both of your other bikes. She will even have radio speakers and heated handle bars!! And the hardness/softness of the ride can be controlled by the driver as you are riding! Is that neat or what?! Since there are 2 of you I would consider buying the trailer also but you can still carry a lot of luggage even without the trailer.
Best of luck to you......Paul
p.s. If you ever make it out to AZ please look me up, ok?
The wife and I were out today on the RS with her on the back. She enjoys it but long rides on an RS for a passenger ain't fun even though I have the BRP passenger backrest. I'm going to let her make the decision as to whether we trade both in on an RT. There is no doubt that both of us would be more comfortable on an RT but I'm perfectly happy with the RS, especially when riding the Dragon. I don't think an RT would do as well there. But what the heck - there's tradeoffs in just about everything. We'll see. As to Arizona - I have a friend who's a Delta captain and he rides out to Yuma, AZ (has a BMW 1200ST, SL and 1150GT) a couple of times a year on airline business. Maybe I'll tag along on one of his trips although I wouldn't be able to go for as long as he without stops and fuel (25 mpg for me). What part of AZ? David

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you're close enough to do the canyon road between Flagstaff and Sedona, that would be so much fun on a Spyder!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just to let you guys know after the insurance got involved pics have been taken the insurance is ready to get it fixed and then determine who to get it back from.the estimate came out to 4400.00 on parts and 4600.00 on labor.imagine that!the estimate is missing one or two things and trying to replace my new windshield!im getting it towed 35 miles out of town to try and get it done right.we deffinately need more machanics and dealers around louisiana!any ways i should have it back in acouple of weeks.i apprieciate all of the support.ill post pics when shes done and gleeming!:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts