Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Friday the wife and I decided we wanted BBQ and headed to Murphy, NC - 125 miles or so away - with the wife on the back of my RS. We took the less traveled roads and while going thru hill country just outside the Cherokee National Forest we encounted a downhill curve to the right. No problem since this road had been mostly twisty all the way. However about halfway thru this one at a speed of about 55 mph I suddenly realized it was a decreasing radius. It happened so fast that the only thing to do was turn as hard as I possible could - I was already leaning way out. That would not have been good enough since all of this happened in a second or two. We were heading across the centerline and into the opposite lane FAST. Suddenly VSS kicks in and hits the brakes for me as well as reduce the throttle. I have bad mouthed the VSS a bit over the past couple of months since it hinders my speed over the Dragon. There's give and take with everything but on this particuliar day I'm glad VSS was there. BTW I was following a friend who was riding a BMW 1300 GT and he said it caught him by surprise too and he had to hit the rear brake to get around. He joked that he went around the turn on two wheels. I retorted that I think I did as well and while things were happening too fast for me to look I do believe the inside wheel lifted. David

· Registered
21 Posts
This past Friday the wife and I decided we wanted BBQ and headed to Murphy, NC - 125 miles or so away - with the wife on the back of my RS. We took the less traveled roads and while going thru hill country just outside the Cherokee National Forest we encounted a downhill curve to the right. No problem since this road had been mostly twisty all the way. However about halfway thru this one at a speed of about 55 mph I suddenly realized it was a decreasing radius. It happened so fast that the only thing to do was turn as hard as I possible could - I was already leaning way out. That would not have been good enough since all of this happened in a second or two. We were heading across the centerline and into the opposite lane FAST. Suddenly VSS kicks in and hits the brakes for me as well as reduce the throttle. I have bad mouthed the VSS a bit over the past couple of months since it hinders my speed over the Dragon. There's give and take with everything but on this particuliar day I'm glad VSS was there. BTW I was following a friend who was riding a BMW 1300 GT and he said it caught him by surprise too and he had to hit the rear brake to get around. He joked that he went around the turn on two wheels. I retorted that I think I did as well and while things were happening too fast for me to look I do believe the inside wheel lifted. David

I live in Western Ky an have been to the Nantahala Gorge several times.. Is this the road that you talking about between Nantahal an Murphy?/ It runs along the whitewater river?? If so that is a scarey road.. Glad the VSS saved you..

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
We all seem to badmouth "Nanny" until she saves our bacon a time or two... You didn't mention what your Missus thought of the incident... Was she aware of all of what happened in the blink of an eye? :eek: It's not gouing to put her off of riding will it?

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We all seem to badmouth "Nanny" until she saves our bacon a time or two... You didn't mention what your Missus thought of the incident... Was she aware of all of what happened in the blink of an eye? :eek: It's not gouing to put her off of riding will it?
As soon as we straightened up I told her what happened (we wear headsets) and she said she thought this turn was different than the others. She had been holding on tightly for all of them thank goodness. No, it will not stop her from riding. She has a Yamaha T-Max but rides on the RS with me when the speeds will be up and on this particuliar day she knew since I was following an experienced friend on a BMW that the speeds would be up. David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.