Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I may have an install problem but before going back to the dealer I thought I'd ask the question here. Had my cb installed and when trying to use it tonight ( also the radio ) I can't get anything thru the headset.Read and reread the manual and think I'm doing everything right but not sure.Thought at first I had a bad cable but tried it on another bike and it works fine. Doesn't work on main or passenger . Going on a day trip and would be nice to have the cb and radio but will be leaving before the dealer opens. Any ideas ? Thanks John

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
we had the same issues

it's the VOX setting

you need to have it almost turned off.. it works the opposite from what you would think

the higher the setting the less you get .. we keep it about the first bar, then usually i move it to the third bar or so while on the freeway as it keeps cutting in because of the wind noise and especially large rigs. after you get the first setting then it's just a matter of playing with till you find which setting works best for you

you may want to think about getting the other switch for the passenger if you ever get with others with the CB systems. then the passenger can talk to the other also, but we found the plug in for the passenger is backwards for the other switch, so you lose a couple of inches in cord length, I asked about it that is the way it was designed, but I am having it turned 180 degrees to make it easier for both of us

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Played with the vox and didn't make a difference. Contacted CanAm and was told that I had to use their headset for it to [email protected] $200 per helmet. Contacted Sierra Electronics and they have a cord that adapts from my J & M headset to the bike.....$60 per helmet. Sure know which one I'm going to purchase ,plus CanAm is on backorder . Dealer also didn't tell me that when I purchased the CB that all connecting cables were included.....another $80.

John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Made an oops on the cable.....the headset I have can only be used on a Goldwing....drats. But the good news is that they have a headset that they say is as good as the CanAm set but is considerably cheaper....got ours ordered .

John

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
nice.. there is supposed to be cable adaptors for just about every sytle of headset out there

glad you got yours figured out

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My husband bought us a set of bluetooth headsets, which allow not only for talking between helmets, but for phone and mp3 player listening as well. Not sure what the make or model are, all I know is we don't have to plug them in to the bikes and I'm glad!

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
the only problem with the Blue tooth sets is that if you are in a large bunch of riders you can only talk with a few people with same system

with the Cb set up you can talk with anyone who is on that channel and can switch channels easy

we got the extra switch for the passenger (wif) so she can talk also..

so far have not used it though as we still don't know hardly any riders around here let alone Spyders

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
True. We usually ride with just the two of us, so it works well for us.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the new headsets installed today and eureka.....sound in the helmets .Had to do some playing around with the cb to keep the voice activation for cutting out the radio and probably while riding will need to continue tweaking all the time . Both headsets and cables were under $350. Same cable fits a Kawasaki and the Victory.

We do a lot of group riding ( with goldwingers ) and cb's are a necessity. I haven't seen any other spyders yet with a cb installed or as a matter of fact the ugliest trailer hitch I've ever seen. Not many spyder riders use trailers evidently ??

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
the BRP trailer hitch I think is over kill, but their trailor is rather large..

there are other hitches one can get that are not as bad..

trailers are so dang expensive and BRP is near the top of the price range

I think that's why also the fact that for lots of people it has enough room to carry most of what they need

i been looking at everything and so far find one i like but they dont ship to Canada and they have never seen a Spyder pulling it so still looking

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a cyclemate CM2000LTD and have been very happy with it. When pulled behind the wing you couldn't even tell it was there. Plenty of room and side opening which I like better than the front opening.Tongue weight on it is a lot less than on the BRP trailer too.Still looking for a connector for it , not going to pay the $165 that the dealer wants.Just have to be careful what I use because I don't want to void the warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts