Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!, I'm kicking around buying a Spyder RS, new...a 2012. The ability to add Fox Shocks (adjustable) is an option. For those that know, are the OEM shocks on the Spyder RS (2012) adjustable, or are they not? I'm guessing the adjustability refers only to spring rate or spring pre-load? Any Spyder RS owners with OEM shocks (in the front)...what is your opion on them? Good ride, wish you had something else?, like the upgraded Fox Shocks...just trying to figure out if it's worth spending another $500 + on the FOX shocks

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I guess it would be like anything that changes the handling of a vehicle, they are designed to handle a certain way, if you want to make it handle different then go for it.

or if you have never ridden one before find out it handles before you spend the extra cash. you may find it's just right for what you want

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
if you start new as a spyderisti - I would say NO ..they are OK ..
but : there are two hearts in the Spyder - one is for a single-driven man-only weekend together with some biker-friends - more pressure in the front-wheels and "harder" shocks ..
the other side is ryding together with my wife - she prefers this soft comfortable settings and I have to bring that all back in the "old" standard settings ..
... you will find out after some thousands of miles

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a full set of Elka's on my Spyder together with the evolution zone heavy duty sway bar on my 2010 RS. I love the set up I have and the back shock allows me the ability to adjust for when my wife is along. It was a pretty spendy project and if my spyder had come with the fox shocks probably would not have done it. As to whether the Elka's are better than the Fox shocks I couldn't tell you.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
My opinion is, go for the upgraded shocks. But only if you already have all the other accessorys you want on your spyder. You will be happy with the factory shocks until such time as you get the upgraded shocks. And thats my 2cents!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
shocks

if you start new as a spyderisti - I would say NO ..they are OK ..
but : there are two hearts in the Spyder - one is for a single-driven man-only weekend together with some biker-friends - more pressure in the front-wheels and "harder" shocks ..
the other side is ryding together with my wife - she prefers this soft comfortable settings and I have to bring that all back in the "old" standard settings ..
... you will find out after some thousands of miles
need more info on after market shocks can shocks from the big spyder fit on the roadster

·
Registered
504 Posts
I might be wrong as far as the front shocks I can't tell the difference between the RS and the RT. The stock shocks on the Can-Am are ok as far as they go, but the Fox or Elka shocks are much, much better and you will notice the difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Penske's on 2333, as well as the sway bar from Ken. The thing handles much better now, but there is a comprimise in "cushiness". My two cents would be go with the Fox shocks and the swaybar.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just my 2 cents for the difference in price and the upgrades you gain with the RSS i would spend the money and get the fox shocks as stansard.
Mike

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
If you are going to buy new shocks go for the Elka Stage 1 P's as they are a far better shop than the Fox shocks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts