Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the error of getting the "cheaper" RS model and now I wish I had an RT. I put the comfort seat, aftermarket mechanical cruise, windshield, and footboards on the RS. I do love the RS for a lot of reasons, but wish I had the RT for cruise, stereo, easier throttle, storage, and comfort on long trips. But is it enough difference to be worth plunking down another $15,000, losing money on the one I bought just last year plus all of the extras put on?? I guess only I can answer that, but has anyone else gone through this? I've had the RS only one season and 2000 miles on it. I probably wouldn't go on rides longer than 3 hours so it's not like I will take 10 day trips or anything. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I haven't even sat on an RT. Don't dare too! Might like it. When I first bought mine, back in July, (an 08 with only 683 miles, and I'm the 3rd owner), I saw a new Cruiser on the showroom floor at the local dealer. It was a beautiful blue color, and was loaded, including a trailer. Went back a week later to pick up some parts for my Bomb. Traxter, and the Cruiser was gone. That's when I asked how much it sold for. !!!!! Tweny-six plus, for the bike, and another four plus, for the trailer!!!!! Worth it? I don't think so, but.
I went to the SCCA National Run-offs at Elkhart Lake, WI in Sept. Rode up from W. Bend on my Spyder. I was leaving the track on Sat. the 25th, and a guy in a big Dodge PU pulled up beside me and asked how I liked the Spyder. I gave him the usual. "It's a love-hate relationship." He told me he had had one just like it, before, and traded it for a Cruiser, and he loved it! So, I guess if you've got deep enough pockets, it might be worth it.
I can't bring myself to spring for $800+ for floor -boards, or even a Corbin seat, especially since I can't be sure that I could stretch out enough to get comfortable. I'll probably do the DIY thing with the floor-boards, which is going to require cutting into some of the factory Tupper-Ware. Those pieces are right where I want my feet. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done to elliminate the "buzz" from the engine, or the high-pitched nature of the power band. Mileage is a joke with a Spyder. A 1000cc bike, with an all-up weight of 1200 lbs, or less, getting less than 35 mpg, is rediculous. Would be different if you were using, say, 80-90% of that 106 hp. But when you're cruising at 50 mph you aren't using much of what's available. Think if there was a set of cams available, that would lower the power band revs, I would buy them. Heck, If there was an easy way of inserting a 40 horse diesel in there, I'd do it. Old Farts like me want a bike with 400 lb/ft of torque at 1600 rpm!
What's the comfort seat like? Why doesn't BRP put a comfortable seat on, in the first place?
Sorry to rattle on. My handle is Gabby Wells in SASS. Single Action Shooting Society.
Have a good day.
Dick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seat

I bought the comfort seat from Can Am, abaout $450. It is way more comfortable than the stock one, it is softer and doesn't seem to have the pressure points that the stock one had. I am a 5' tall woman though, so I might have different pressure points than a guy! :) When I rode before I'd have sore spots after 45 minutes, now no sore spots. But you are right, for a $16,000 bike it should come with a comfy seat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well from what I have read on this site and other sites the RT is a RS with alot more stuff on it, But they didnt change the suspension for the RT extra weight so there are a lot of handling problems with this bigger bike (weight) Buy a corbin seat and put some SFB racing floor boards ($399) and you will have a much better bike. I had the comfort seat and got rid of it after about 6000 miles just didnt work for me could only ride for about 1 hour before I got sore. Corbin seat I can ride 8 hrs with no problems Good luk with your bike.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Both bikes share a lot, but they're also completely different! Seating position is a bit more relaxed on the RT, It's about 225 pounds heavier so the handling isn't nearly as "crisp" as the RS. (That may not be the correct term...) It obviously has a lot more storage space, so how you "stock the shelves" will affect how and where you ride too! My Missus and I bought the "Olphart" RT model and haven't regretted it for a second! :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts