Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 3,000 miles on my rts - and recently when I am riding around town - it wont go out of first gear - I have the paddle shifter and at any speed it just wont go into second gear - has anyone else experienced this problem ?
thanx
studley

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bob, my 2011 RTS is stuck in second, so still drivable, but the linkage has come off the splined shaft, into the gearbox, can you advise if there is an special setting that I need to refit this, as it could be fitted on any of the splines

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't have any experience with this, but I'd try re-installing the linkage such that it fit without trying to turn the shaft on the gear box. Then give it a try around the block and see how it works. Try a little bit of loctite on the bolt to help prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did that on my 2015 RT. It was an electronic shifting module that had water in it from the manufacturer. They replaced the part and everything is working fine again. I have only been riding since January, 1300 miles so far and haven't had the problem again. I plan some pretty long trips this year so I am hoping it doesn't break down again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a brand new Can-Am Spyder RT limited 2019 it now has 15,000 miles it will not go into first gear or in reverse. I have maintained my Can-Am in good conditions why am I having these problems.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,436 Posts
I purchased a brand new Can-Am Spyder RT limited 2019 it now has 15,000 miles it will not go into first gear or in reverse. I have maintained my Can-Am in good conditions why am I having these problems.
Is this a manual transmission or semi-automatic ?
Assuming it is an automatic since it's an RT. Also assuming that the engine is running.

When in Neutral, you must have your foot firmly on the brake to shift to R or 1.
Also can be low engine oil.
Also could be the paddle shifter assembly going bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's an automatic a made a loud noise and that was it could not go forward I put it in reverse made it to my garage after that my first shift or reverse would not work no more since my Can-Am has been sitting quite a while because I can't afford to fix it. it's a 2019 now my battery went dead and it cannot be recharged so now I got to buy a new battery and have it towed to the shop next week hoping for the best that it doesn't cost too much to fix and hoping can am
spider in Canada will help fix it or pay for it because it only has 15,000 miles it's still a baby

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could be a stripped front sprocket. I was riding and suddenly i had no gears. =$600.00 to repair. Its a common issue but brp ignores.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,436 Posts
A stripped front sprocket will NOT keep the transmission from shifting gears.
AND BRP has not completely ignored the problem......as there is a Service Bulletin regarding that.
Maybe more than one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a F3 spyder 2018 only 11,00 miles same problem check engine computer went on...I was going up hill down shifted toggle and unfortunately Hawaii doesn't have a dealer
any advise will be greatly appreciated .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts