Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Spyder RT Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
021 Spyder RTL 3000 miles. Did the maintenance myself. Turns out there is an issue with the large O ring on the oil filter unit (some manufacturer packages have the wrong ring in packages labelled correctly, and I got one of those). Resulted in an oil leak out the top of the oil filter unit. Lots of cleaning and diagnosing and new parts to get it identified and resolved. Long story short, something resulted in the exclamation point appearing (all the time) on the display and a periodic flashing of "Transmission Fault" that comes and goes (with NO fault codes). Was concerned that somewhere in this process the engine might have resulted in too much oil (a lot had leaked out but I couldn't get an accurate reading on how much was there). I even checked BOTH air boxes to ensure they were indeed clean and dry (which they were).

Had to do some serious cleaning of the engine and sensors connected to bottom and top of clutch case. More than once as I kept doing road tests with the "Transmission Fault" but NO evidence at all of any problem.

This evolved to "VSS Fault" with the codes C006C, C0040. Others have reported these codes and I have gone over as many of the possible solutions as I can. I checked the brake pedal, wiring, switch; I removed the key; I disconnected the battery and the result was that the codes and the VSS Fault went away and has not returned. I will treat it as a one time event for now.

However, the original "Transmission Fault" remains. Oil level is as should be, no apparent leaks, engine runs perfect, all systems seem as they should be, but I can't find any reason for the "Transmission Fault" (without fault codes) or what my next step would be short of going to a dealer for a possible reset of the fault message. Any ideas as to why I can eliminate from this equation before having to do this?

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
Stories like this is exactly WHY I think it is important to let the dealer do the service until the warranty runs out.

Do you think all this hassle was worth saving a few bucks ?
The hassle probably has just began since they likely will blame YOU for the problem.
Good luck. I think you will need it.

·
Registered
2021 Spyder RT Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how you measure a "few bucks", since people report an oil change costing easily $300-$400. While I can afford this, personally I want to try to do these things myself and learn from it. The 3,000 mile service is a no brainer (no comeback is necessary) if I'm using the correct parts, which in the case of the oil filter O rings apparently I was not. Live and learn. I need to find someone in Virginia (near Richmond) who has the BUDS2 capability to try and reset the fault message. After that, I'll be at the mercy of the dealer for who knows how long and how many replacements of other parts. Rode today and everything is perfect except for the orange message that pops up randomly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure how you measure a "few bucks", since people report an oil change costing easily $300-$400. While I can afford this, personally I want to try to do these things myself and learn from it. The 3,000 mile service is a no brainer (no comeback is necessary) if I'm using the correct parts, which in the case of the oil filter O rings apparently I was not. Live and learn. I need to find someone in Virginia (near Richmond) who has the BUDS2 capability to try and reset the fault message. After that, I'll be at the mercy of the dealer for who knows how long and how many replacements of other parts. Rode today and everything is perfect except for the orange message that pops up randomly.
Used to be a professional auto detailer, when you told someone it costs $250 to detail their $60k vehicle and costs $25 to clean $600 suit. $280 for oil change to a $30k motorcycle. It’s all relative plus you have a comeback if you have issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Used to be a professional auto detailer, when you told someone it costs $250 to detail their $60k vehicle and costs $25 to clean $600 suit. $280 for oil change to a $30k motorcycle. It’s all relative plus you have a comeback if you have issues.
The cost is all in the labor time to take the "Tupperware" off and on. The oil replacement kit which includes the oil is as little as $80.

·
Registered
2021 Spyder RT Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I understand that. I've become fairly adept at removing the tupperware. I offered to do so before taking the bike to the dealer for the code reset, just to save some labor time. I was informed that they preferred to have the bike come to them with all the pieces and parts in place. Shaking my head. Will be interesting to see how this plays out in a couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
The cost is all in the labor time to take the "Tupperware" off and on.
Sure the dealership tries to convince you that is a big deal but..........
After you do it once or twice you should realize that it is NOT a big deal once you know what to do.
The "mechanics" at the dealership should be able to do it in their sleep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts