Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT / HOT WEATHER PROBLEM

I purchased a new 2011 RT S E5 September 1, 2011. I rode it around town on short trips the first two weeks and a longer round 145 mile evening trip. The daily temperature was averaging over 100 degrees. However the cycle ambient temperature gage was reading an average of 7 to 12 degrees higher then that especially when the cycle was parked in the sun. The operating engine temperature gage ran was just a little above the half way mark but not hot.

One hot afternoon of 109 degrees, I drove it a short distance (2 miles) to a local café for a glass of lemonade. Upon leaving the café and in route back home the check engine light came on. The vehicle engine temperature reading was normal and not running hot. However the ambient temperature gage on the cycle was reading 124 degrees.

I couldn’t find an explanation in the Manuel as to why the Check Engine Light came on. Therefore, I called the Dealer whom sold the new cycle to me. They checked with CAM AM, called me back, and said according to Can AM that I was the sixth caller that day with the same problem. I was told that because of the high ambient temperature (extremely hot whether) effected the computer causing the Check Engine Light to come on. I was told it was still alright to ride but not to put it through its paces. Therefore I continued to ride it the following days. The check engine light would come on occasionally for a short period of time especially after being parked in the hot sun and driving a short distance after which it would go off.

ENGINE / TRANSMISSION OIL & FILTER CHANGE

I returned it to the dealer August 30th for the six hundred mile recommended oil change and check up around 690 miles.

They changed the oil and filters utilizing a recommended CAN AM oil and filter kit. Upon loading the Can AM onto my enclosed trailer for transportation home (120 miles away) I was parked on an incline and noticed I had to rev the engine rpm up to get it to climb up the ramp onto the trailer. I made a mental note not to load it, in the future, on as steep of an incline into the trailer.

Upon arriving home that evening I and my wife took it on a ride of approximately 30 miles about town. I noticed that it did not have as much throttle thrust response as it had previously. I presumed the dealer has changed some settings during the aforementioned recommended check up. Also this was the first time my wife had ridden with me other than just around the block. Therefore I considered the lack of response in thrust was doing to the added passenger weight.

I did not ride the motorcycle the next day. However, the following morning thereafter I rode for approximately another 25 miles around town in the heat of the 103 degree day. While averaging around 35 miles an hour, about town, I noticed that upon quickly applying throttle the engine rpm rev up, but no additional power or increase in speed. The ‘Limp Home’ display warning message came on and the Can Am barely made the two remaining blocks home at a speed of less than 20 miles an hour.

I immediately checked the oil. I noticed it was somewhat clear in color and appeared to be just a little over the full mark. In comparison, the break in oil had been much darker in color to what the Dealer had installed.

The following day I returned the CAN AM cycle (by trailer) to the Dealer whose prognosis was the clutch may have burned out and now is slipping. When questioned, the Dealer’s Service Manager advised that they had installed the CAM AM EPS recommended oil and upon checking the dipstick it was not over filled. Therefore, the vehicle will have to be torn down and inspected to determine the problem.

LACK OF SERVICE / (Can Am Trade Mark????)

Upon making a follow up call to the Dealer service rep today (Sept 7, 2011) I was advised that they still have not started on it. According to the Service Rep it may be a couple more days before they start working on it.

Based upon my experience, and reading the forums posted, appears CAM AM and the Dealers may lack Customer Service when it involves a CAN AM motorcycle.

I must respectfully advise if you are in the market to buy a Can-AM Think Twice before doing so. Don’t get caught up in the CAN AM hype.

Sincerely,

Shadow1

·
Registered
570 Posts
Amen!

I love my RT Ltd, but am not happy with having to foot a towing bill due to poor quality checks at the factory allowing a crushed wire bundle to pass inspection.

As to the high temperatures causing fault lights, I live in Phoenix and have ridden up to 107 ambient with the controls showing 112. No problems with engine lights. Sounds suspicious to me! My temperature gauge runs just over 1/2 on really hot days and as low as 1/4 when the temperature drops to 50 degrees.

Also, how do you manage to burn out a clutch if the clutch is computer controlled? Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

I do believe that many dealers are still training their service folks on the Spyders. It behooves a Spyder owner to double check the little things like the oil level. The manual gives very specific directions on how to check the oil including how much time to wait after the engine has been run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave:

The Dealer changed the oil, drained the break-in oil, changed both filters, and utilized the Can AM kit which included the XP3 oil and filters.

Upon loading the vehicle up on my trailer to take it home (120 mile trip), I noticed the engine required more RPM to climb the incline into the trailer. However, I was parked on a hill and thus the incline was steeper than normal when parked on level ground.

After arriving home and riding approximate 40 miles the transmission really started to slip.

The cycle was taken back to the Dealer whom promised to look into the problem Tuesday following Labor Day. They did not do it.

This past Saturday I made a surprise visit to the Dealer whom sold me the bike and learned that they hadn’t even broke it down to see what was wrong. The Dealer’s excuse was they had other Customers ahead of me, but would get to it soon. Needless to say I lost my tempter and to make a long story short; the owner agreed their service was lacking. He immediately assigned a mechanic to tear it down and further promised to call me with a progress report that evening. He did follow up with a call confirming the clutch plates were badly burned. He acknowledged the problem developed immediately after the first oil change; aforementioned. He further advised that they would determine the cause of the failure and not just replace the damaged part. They planned to order the necessary parts and discuss the problem further with Can Am Monday (today)

Sincerely,

Shadow1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too had to make an appointment. Thus 600 mile check up was delayed to 700 miles at which time the oil and filters were changed by the Dealer. t took the Dealer over 4 hours. Upon exiting the dealership the semi auto Trans clutch started slipping. Approximately 40 miles later the clutch completely burned out. Dealer swears he installed the Cam Am XPS Oil and filters from a Can Am kit.

Dealer’s explanation was that I must have over lugged the cycle causing the clutch to rapidly deteriorate. Service Manager claims I did not downshift proper. Thus I left it in fifth gear, to long, travelling at a lower than highway speed.

I attempted to explain that my cycle is a Semi Automatic that shifts down to a lower rpm and gear upon slowing down. Therefore the probability of lugging is most unlikely. In my frustration I ask if he had ridden one and he admitted he hadn't. My frustration point continued to rise.

Well, it has been approximately three weeks and they still have not completed the clutch replacement. They are now claiming they need to obtain a special tool from Can AM to compress the clutch pad-plates before they can continued.

I purchased mine the 1st of September. Drove it around town and allowed the Dealer to change the oil and filters at an unanticipated $220.00 charge. I don't know if they installed the wrong oil or perhaps installed a filter incorrectly. One thing is for certain they won't admit to what they did wrong and definitely are lacking in service after the sale.

I hope you continue to have a most favorable experience and ownership with yours.

Sincerely,

Shadow1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts