Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I am thinking of getting a trailer to carry my spyder, anyone have any ideas on whats a good trailer to load and carry a spyder?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe a trailer is a personal thing it's like buying a car and picking the right color. There are so many trailers out there that can do the job just fine it all boils down to what you want to spend on a trailer and remember you get what you pay for and if you have a BIG investment in your Spyder (for me close to $30,000) I wanted something that not only look good but had some features and offer some protection to the bike. Sure a fully enclosed trailer would offer the best protection but I personally don't like them as I can't use the middle mirror in my truck to see out back and come on lets face it do you think I want to hide this unique machine LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
What about a landscaping trailer like this:

With the built in ramp loading and unloading would be a breeze.

Shop Carry-On Trailer 5' x 8' High Side Wire Mesh Trailer with Ramp Gate at Lowes.com
Keep in mind most trailers will NOT work. Problem is twofold: First you have a long nose sticking out which isn't a problem on motorcycles/scooters. Add to that the low ground clearance of the nose. Second you have a long wheelbase which could possible hang up at the top of the ramp. With a regular trailer such as the one shown you would have to either have a supplemental ramp that would give you a very gradual slope or you would have to back the trailer up to an embankment/hill/loading dock to load/unload. When I picked up my RS last year I took a conventional trailer with a steep angle of attack ramp. I had already been told about the loading problems. The dealer loaded it for me and had a special curved ramp and 4 strong employees to help. When I got it home I backed it up to a hill and with some help got it unloaded without dragging anything. Forewarned is forearmed. David

·
Registered
377 Posts
I believe a trailer is a personal thing it's like buying a car and picking the right color. There are so many trailers out there that can do the job just fine it all boils down to what you want to spend on a trailer and remember you get what you pay for and if you have a BIG investment in your Spyder (for me close to $30,000) I wanted something that not only look good but had some features and offer some protection to the bike. Sure a fully enclosed trailer would offer the best protection but I personally don't like them as I can't use the middle mirror in my truck to see out back and come on lets face it do you think I want to hide this unique machine LOL.
I like it! Spyder looks great as well. Does the trailer tilt for loading/unloading? David

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like it! Spyder looks great as well. Does the trailer tilt for loading/unloading? David
Thanks David. The trailer I have is called AST3, it has air suspension with load leveling and has a on board air compressor and yes it tilts and lowers at the rear I called it the Ferrari of trailers.

As for other trailers to fit the Spyder, as you said most utility/landscape trailer will not work but there are now many companies that are making trailer with the Spyder in mind and have all the features a Spyder owner will be looking for but they are not cheep by any means.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trailers

If economy is a issue, lawn trailers will work great. You will need a trailer tongue jack. You can crank it down , raising the tongue, lowering the rear to reduce angle. Aluminum trailers are nicer, and still below the pricing for custom trailers js

1 - 7 of 7 Posts