Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new RSS .Before purchasing it I asked the salesman whether or not could pull my old cyclemate trailer with it ...no problem he said. While having it prepped I asked the mechanic about getting an adapter going from 9 pin to my 7 pin.He said he thought they sold them but to ask my salesman. When I went back to talk to my salesman there was another salesman standing there talking to him. I asked the question about the adapter and he said there wasn't one . The other salesman said that unless I converted my lights to LEDS that it would overload the alternator.Also that by not using the full 9 pin connections it would cause the computer to malfunction and not give the correct functions to the bike and could cause handling problems. Is this just a sales pitch for me to spend a lot of money for the new trailer ? There's nothing wrong with my existing trailer so no reason to spend more money if there's any way to rewire and not cause problems .Maybe this is something I need to talk directly to CAN AM about but thought I'd throw it out here first and see if anyone else has used a different trailer.I would not have bought the bike if it wasn't possible to use my existing trailer.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the trailer lights will overload the alternator. But if you are worried about that, just don't use the fog lights if you have them. That will save about 70 watts which is way more than the trailer will ever use. I think that the sales people were looking for a trailer sale.

What may be a problem is that the fuses for the brake, turn and tail lights will burn with traditional lights (incandescent). Again, as long as you don't try to compete with semi trucks for decorative lights I don't think it would be a problem.

I just installed my own trailer hitch and wiring harness. I don't see any reason that you could not splice into the factory trailer harness with your own trailer connector that will work with your trailer. That will eliminate the need to use an adapter which may not be available.

I will say that the Can Am trailers seem to be engineered and built very well. I have read on Goldwing boards where they are buying them to tow behind their bikes. That seems like a good endorsement to me. But $4000 is quite a bit of money when you already have a good trailer. I would need to tow it for many miles to justify that amount of money. For just 1 or 2 trips, I think that the disposable Harbor Freight trailers will suffice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts