Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded my Spyder a few days ago. Why? If any of you remember my posts you will recall that I drive somewhat aggressively (attacking the road, not other drivers). I ride the Dragon frequently and had come to the point where the Spyder would let me go no farther. Yes, the VSS is sometimes a good thing but the nanny sometimes got on my nerves, especially when an experienced rider on a Goldwing or Harley could pull away from me in the twisties. Added to that and probably the biggest reason I traded is that when I returned from a ride of more than a few miles I would be tired. The Spyder is a workout if you ride it hard. I would sometimes come home tired and to unwind and relax I would get off the Spyder and get on the wife's Yamaha T-Max for a spin around the block. I wanted something faster in the twisties that wouldn't wear me out. The local Can Am dealer is also the Yamaha dealer among other brands and offered me a fair price on my Spyder when I went to trade it in on a new Yamaha FZ6R. Yep, I got a sportbike. That will take care of most of my concerns listed above. Yeah, I know, I gotta be careful because if I mess up now there will be no VSS there to save me. A tradeoff I'm willing to make. For those people in this forum that are considering a Spyder don't let me change your mind. For riding in congested traffic, around downtown, on the interstate or just tooling around in the country at low speed (30 mph or so) the Spyder is the best thing out there. It's not for me but it's still a great bike/roadster. David

· Registered
55 Posts
Don't you worry David. I Love my Spyder and I am extremely happy with it and all the Attn I get. I am happy you got what you truly wanted that is all that matters.

Hubby went out and bought me a Harley Sportster 883 well It was a very pretty bike colors in all but I did not like it. I wanted the Spyder as soon as I saw it. Originally wanted a trike until I seen the spyder. It just boils down to what your heart is into. Congrats on your new bike and enjoy the ride.

· Registered
26 Posts
Hope you stay with us here:)

Congrats David on getting what makes you happy. Glad you were able to get a good deal on trade in.

We all have to ride our own rides. I LOVE MY SPYDER. But there again, I am very non-aggressive, I tend to try to get out of the way of the riders who love the thrill of twisties, speed, etc. Hope you get a chance to pass me by someday in the future:)

With that said, please continue on the forums, we all appreciate your input and experience.

Dee

· Registered
106 Posts
I know exactly what you mean The Spyder is tiring if you ride long distances I have a 09 SE5 and the girl friend would wipe me out on the twisties mind you I would blow her away on the straight aways So I I bought a motorcycle and I kept the spyder so now I have a choice to ride if I want to be lazy I ride the Spyder If I want to be fast in the twisties I take the bike.

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Harleys and the Goldwings could pull away from you in the twisties?
Bummer, that's not what I wanted to hear.

Hope you enjoy your new ride...
Experienced riders on Harley's and Goldwings would pull away. There were times when that for sure was not the case and I would have to wait for a chance to pass. The Spyder is still faster in the twisties than those 2 examples with average to less experienced riders. David

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David, You're always gonna be welcome here. Besides; now we can perhaps get you to report "From the Dark Side...":D
Ha! I like that:) Okay, I'll hang around for a while. I've got to get a pad for the FZ6R, either gel or an air bladder like an Air Hawk. I have no problem on long rides with hands, arms, back and knees. The same can't be said for my butt. I was used to the wide, soft seat of the Spyder and the seat on the Yamaha FZ6R is narrow with almost no padding. Probably with time I would get used to it but the heck with time, I want a soft seat. David

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Glad you got what you are happier riding - that's the most important thing. Two and three wheelers are for enjoyment, and if you're getting the maximum amount of that, its the right choice! Ride safe!!

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An experienced rider on a sportbike can beat a Spyder no matter how good the Spyder rider is. The VSS will not allow you to match the sportbike. If you're hanging with sportbikes it's because they let you or they are not that good in the first place. No put down of you, I'm sure you're very good on the Spyder. I know what it takes to make the "nanny" kick in and it don't take much. David

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I kind of figure that Nanny is keeping me from making the front page of the paper... :D I'd almost be willing to be that most of us aren't all that interested in finding out what the bike's limits without her are...

· Registered
160 Posts
I kind of figure that Nanny is keeping me from making the front page of the paper... :D I'd almost be willing to be that most of us aren't all that interested in finding out what the bike's limits without her are...
Here Here! I agree completely Bob! To each their own. I'm lovin' my Spyder, but I respect that what the heart wants--the heart wants! Keep me outta the obituaries too!

--Andy

· Registered
8 Posts
An experienced rider on a sportbike can beat a Spyder no matter how good the Spyder rider is. The VSS will not allow you to match the sportbike. If you're hanging with sportbikes it's because they let you or they are not that good in the first place. No put down of you, I'm sure you're very good on the Spyder. I know what it takes to make the "nanny" kick in and it don't take much. David
Not sure if the "nanny" works on mine, I can take most curves at twice the posted limit and to my knowledge it has never kicked in. I've never ridden with another spyder in hi-speed corners so I'm not sure what their limits are supposed to be. ;)

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Limits should be gauged by the rider's experience, not the bike's ability. That's my thought, anyway!

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Amen! :D I did manage to prod Nanny just enough to get a feel for what she does when angry...
After the Winter one of the local roads had almost an inch of sand on it from the Town road crews keeping it passable. I took a run up it and made a HARD right hand turn while stabbing the throttle. :eek: The rear tire spun, the front end slid over about six incehs, and then it felt like a plug wire was pulled! The bike settled in and I completed the turn and went on my merrry way just as if nothing had happened. :cool:

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure if the "nanny" works on mine, I can take most curves at twice the posted limit and to my knowledge it has never kicked in. I've never ridden with another spyder in hi-speed corners so I'm not sure what their limits are supposed to be. ;)
The way I understand it the VSS cannot be deactivated without deactivating the Spyder. Your VSS works - you just haven't reached that limit yet. I'm not suggesting that you try to find it. As many here have said the nanny exists for a reason and that reason is providing the Spyder rider with better survivability odds. It saved my bacon once (I posted the story in this forum) but I have caused the VSS to activate many times on the Dragon. At the present time the wife and I enjoy riding our own bikes but there will come a day when the day trips and overnighters will progress into touring for days at a time. When that day arrives we most probably will want to go two up and will want a comfortable long distance vehicle. The Spyder RT comes to mind...someday. David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.