Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy

I've been riding year round for fifty years, rain sleet heat or snow. I always wrench my own. I can't count how many bikes I've owned. Every Winter, I like to bring a worthy crashed or too long parked motorcycle back to life. I presently own a BMW K75 which I revived from a twelve year parked death, a KLR650 which I rescued from the bank and farkled half to death, and a BMW R1200CLC which is only the second bike I ever bought new. I love to see fine steel which someone gave up on come back to life. This is about the time of year I start planning for the next rescue.

Well, boys, The One Who Must Be Obeyed wants a Spyder. I tell her it's not a bike; it's Y technology -- a wyke, you might say. But technology is not what fascinates her; it's the fact that here in Dull-Aware you don't need a motorcycle endorsement to drive a wyke. She hates driver tests.

So there's my project: Somewhere between now and next Winter I want to score a wrecked or better yet blown up wyke, save it from an untimely demise, and put it back on the road. Model or year is not so important as ... can the wicked wyke be rescued.

First step is research. That's what I registered here for. I'll be scanning fiches to see how these machines are put together, eyeballing craigslist, crashedtoys and e-prey to see what pops up, and asking about parts sources and manuals.

Gotta go ride to the office. Twenty five degrees outside, so it's warming up nicely. More later.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Tow!

You'd enjoy visiting with my husband, who is also a BMW rider and prefers to wrench his own bikes. You may want to check your state laws... here in Oklahoma we have to have an M on our license to ride a Spyder.

Good luck finding one to fix; we'll look forward to pics! I do think your wife will love the way they ride!!!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... mine is in the shop after a T-Bone accident ...

Did you do the T-boning, or did the BDCD* T-bone you?

I note with interest that all the arachnids I have spotted at crashedtoys so far have wrecked front ends. Is this a common wyke prob? Is it related to the power steering issues? Or is it just too darn hard to jerk this machine out of the path of some cell phone junkie pulling out of a driveway?

* BDCD = Brain Dead Cage Driver

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts