Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

To shift or not to shift

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Lindajohnson 
#1 ·
I am a newish rider and have a 2014 can am spyder rs unlimited and was told that the spyder likes you to wind out the gear as much as possible before shifting. Like doing up to 30 in fist before shifting to 3rd etc. at firsf that seemed to be working well but a week later doing the same thing doesnt seem to feel right. It sounds and feels a little sluggish almosf sounds like my pontoon boat lmao. But it doesnt always shift down now either which is concerning. Anyone have any shifting advice or experience to share with me. Im still nervous riding especially on curves because i dont know what the bike can handle and it feels like it could shoot off the road at times. I keep telling myself its just the curves and bends in the pavement itself and to relax. Please share your experience. Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
Your Spyder should have the new 1330 3 cylinder engine and there is NO NEED to rev it high before shifting.
What you have said applies only to the 990 Twin engine.

Sounds like you have the semi-automatic with the paddle shifter......right ?

If the power or shifting feels different, you might need to visit the shop for them to test ride.
And you should not put this off too long.
Something serious might be developing.
For instance, someone might have put "car" oil in it and the clutch might be slipping.
It might be low on oil too. Have you checked that lately ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.