Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newish rider and have a 2014 can am spyder rs unlimited and was told that the spyder likes you to wind out the gear as much as possible before shifting. Like doing up to 30 in fist before shifting to 3rd etc. at firsf that seemed to be working well but a week later doing the same thing doesnt seem to feel right. It sounds and feels a little sluggish almosf sounds like my pontoon boat lmao. But it doesnt always shift down now either which is concerning. Anyone have any shifting advice or experience to share with me. Im still nervous riding especially on curves because i dont know what the bike can handle and it feels like it could shoot off the road at times. I keep telling myself its just the curves and bends in the pavement itself and to relax. Please share your experience. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Your Spyder should have the new 1330 3 cylinder engine and there is NO NEED to rev it high before shifting.
What you have said applies only to the 990 Twin engine.

Sounds like you have the semi-automatic with the paddle shifter......right ?

If the power or shifting feels different, you might need to visit the shop for them to test ride.
And you should not put this off too long.
Something serious might be developing.
For instance, someone might have put "car" oil in it and the clutch might be slipping.
It might be low on oil too. Have you checked that lately ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your Spyder should have the new 1330 3 cylinder engine and there is NO NEED to rev it high before shifting.
What you have said applies only to the 990 Twin engine.

Sounds like you have the semi-automatic with the paddle shifter......right ?

If the power or shifting feels different, you might need to visit the shop for them to test ride.
And you should not put this off too long.
Something serious might be developing.
For instance, someone might have put "car" oil in it and the clutch might be slipping.
It might be low on oil too. Have you checked that lately ??
Yes i have had the oil changed and everything checked by a can am dealer. Mine is a 990 twin with the paddle shifter. I dont have to shift down just up.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Yes i have had the oil changed and everything checked by a can am dealer. Mine is a 990 twin with the paddle shifter. I dont have to shift down just up.
The 990 engine does tend to use a little oil. How long ago was it in the shop ?
3500 RPM is a good low shift point. Much lower than that and you risk clutch damage long term.
After you practice shifting above that engine speed for a while, you should be able to know when to shift by the sound and feel of the engine without looking at the tach.

IF.....it does not always shift down automatically when it should AND the oil level is good.......then there is something wrong and the dealer needs to take a closer look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 990 engine does tend to use a little oil. How long ago was it in the shop ?
3500 RPM is a good low shift point. Much lower than that and you risk clutch damage long term.
After you practice shifting above that engine speed for a while, you should be able to know when to shift by the sound and feel of the engine without looking at the tach.

IF.....it does not always shift down automatically when it should AND the oil level is good.......then there is something wrong and the dealer needs to take a closer look.
I had it in the shop two weeks ago. Thank u for the advice on shifting. I will try that and see how it runs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts