Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not own a spyder yet, but was thinking about this question. About how long do the tires on a Spyder last? Since the wheels are not really automotive type (they look like they have a deep hub area) how difficult is it to mount / dismount tires and re-balance tires? Could I take the front wheels to a tire store to get tire? On the rear, would I have to remove the pulley or brake rotor to have the tire replaced? Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I do not own a spyder yet, but was thinking about this question. About how long do the tires on a Spyder last? Since the wheels are not really automotive type (they look like they have a deep hub area) how difficult is it to mount / dismount tires and re-balance tires? Could I take the front wheels to a tire store to get tire? On the rear, would I have to remove the pulley or brake rotor to have the tire replaced? Thanks.
You could probably figure to get about 10000 miles on a set of tires give or take how you ride. I don't think a regular tire place would do the tires for you, and they don't make any other tires for the spyder other than Kenda as of now So your best bet is to stick with the Motorcycle shop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That probably explains why the other posts that I was reading were having trouble. They had specifically mentioned Discount Tire Centre. One guy had installed Yokahama tires on his Spyder and another the BF Goodrich G-force (can't remember which sub model tire). I am gathering that they were using either a different aspect ratio than stock, or perhaps a slightly different width than stock.

Yes, I would think that as much as I like to do things myself, I would have a dealership replace tires for me.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can install car tire, I used the Kumho ECSTA AST KU25-225/50R15 works better than OEM in rain and on dry pavement

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can install car tire, I used the Kumho ECSTA AST KU25-225/50R15 works better than OEM in rain and on dry pavement
I've heard of people doing that. Here's the problem however as I see it - I have read that if the belt tension isn't exactly right it will cause damage. Did you do the tire change yourself or did someone else do it for you? I don't think a dealer would mount anything but a Kenda would they? Did you only do the rear? David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts