Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newer Spyder rider here. 2008 Can Am Spyder GS. One of my front tires needs replaced, does the tire have to be a "special use for motorcycle" tire or will any 165/65-R14 tire work?

·
Super Moderator
809 Posts
NO. In fact the cheap, flimsy Kenda "special use" tires tend to make it feel unstable.
You really should replace BOTH fronts at the same time, with an appropriate size tire for a small car.
The rims are CAR rims.
Look for a tread pattern that doesn't have one or two deep tread grooves right in the middle that run straight around the whole tire. That will tend to "follow" grooves in the pavement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newer Spyder rider here. 2008 Can Am Spyder GS. One of my front tires needs replaced, does the tire have to be a "special use for motorcycle" tire or will any 165/65-R14 tire work?
Don't take the advice that you should use a car tire. Even the manufacturer clearly states not to use a car tire for front or rear. Kenda has a new tire called the Kenda Kanine (KR20) that is much improved then the older model. I have them on my RT Limited. Always replace both front tires for an even ride. I bought my new tires from Motosport.com. I bought two front and a rear tire for $241 and free shipping. Had my tires in 4 days.

·
Super Moderator
809 Posts
Don't take the advice that you should use a car tire. Even the manufacturer clearly states not to use a car tire for front or rear.
No they do NOT.
How about quoting me the document where they "clearly state" that.

Literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of Spyder owners select their own "car" tires and are much happier with their ride after doing that.

There is nothing really unique about the Kenda tires, except that their load range is BELOW that of any other car tire.

Anyone who is about to change their tires should read ALL of the evidence and make up their own mind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No they do NOT.
How about quoting me the document where they "clearly state" that.

Literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of Spyder owners select their own "car" tires and are much happier with their ride after doing that.

There is nothing really unique about the Kenda tires, except that their load range is BELOW that of any other car tire.

Anyone who is about to change their tires should read ALL of the evidence and make up their own mind.
Been running "car" tires on RTSM5 and 6 for 150,000 miles. Less expensive, better mileage and thicker sidewalls. Can tell you from experience that these Kenda sidewalls shred like paper if they contact anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts