Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2013 spyder RT-S SE5. Has a very bad shimmy. Want to replace all 3 tires but I keep reading bad reviews on kenda. This is my first spyder so I am very new to trying to get things done for it.

Can anyone suggest tire brands? Do dealers have a problem with you bringing your own tires to them for installation?
Any help much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Can anyone suggest tire brands? Do dealers have a problem with you bringing your own tires to them for installation?
Any help much appreciated.
Some do and some don't. Call around and ask.
Maybe 1 dealer in a hundred will even sell you a different brand of tires.

The new model of Kenda tires seem to be better than the originals.
If they are available in your size, that might be a good way to go.
Kanine is the model name.

Pretty much ANY small car tire of the right size (or very near) will be better than the original design Kendas.
Any tire place can mount and balance the fronts. Probably need a dealership to do the rear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does anyone think of the vee rubber arachnid for the front on a 2013 spyder rt-s se5?

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
What does anyone think of the vee rubber arachnid for the front on a 2013 spyder rt-s se5?
Assuming that tire is made more or less specifically for the Spyder, it likely is soft and flexible.
The might mean it sticks good but doesn't wear well.
It might also mean that is tends to be a bit unstable in a straight line.

Just guesses though as I don't remember any specific reports.
If you are a "spirited" rider, it might be a good choice.

Edit: Try a google search for " vee rubber arachnid".
The ratings seem to be pretty good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming that tire is made more or less specifically for the Spyder, it likely is soft and flexible.

Thanks for the info. . Im a very new ryder as far as a spyder is concerned. Mine shimmy like crazy. I want a good straight line tire. Want to make a decision in a couple of days. This one is made for the spyder in particular which automatically makes me hesitive. Looking for a nice smooth ride through the Texas hill country.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. . Im a very new ryder as far as a spyder is concerned. Mine shimmy like crazy. I want a good straight line tire. Want to make a decision in a couple of days. This one is made for the spyder in particular which automatically makes me hesitive. Looking for a nice smooth ride through the Texas hill country.
You may have a different problem than the Kenda tires (although they truly suck!). It could be balance, loose/damaged frontend components, alignment. Going darkside (car tires) is your best choice over the Kenda brand.

Reactions: Rsgower

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Any opinions on federal evo 595
I personally would not get that model.
The wide, deep straight tread grooves likely will tend to make that "wandering" all over the road worse.

Keep looking.

A Google search for "spyder tires" might help.

I would tell you what I have but although they are a VAST improvement, I don't really like the tread design on them either.
I put a Kumho ECSTA AST on the back and it is fine.

Note: In the mean time, try increasing the pressure in your front tires to about 4 over the recommendation and be sure they are as equal as possible. You might need to get a laser alignment later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I personally would not get that model.
The wide, deep straight tread grooves likely will tend to make that "wandering" all over the road worse.

Keep looking.

A Google search for "spyder tires" might help.

I would tell you what I have but although they are a VAST improvement, I don't really like the tread design on them either.
I put a Kumho ECSTA AST on the back and it is fine.

Note: In the mean time, try increasing the pressure in your front tires to about 4 over the recommendation and be sure they are as equal as possible. You might need to get a laser alignment later.
Thank you. Vee rubber has a different tread design but I hear they wear very quickly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. Vee rubber has a different tread design but I hear they wear very quickly
Well, I finally just pulled the trigger and ordered 2 vee rubber arachnids because of the tread pattern. I guess I'll find out if it was a good call soon.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
I like their tread pattern too.
Please let us know how you like them after a few days/miles.

Most any tire shop can mount and balance the fronts for you.
Some require them OFF the bike though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like their tread pattern too.
Please let us know how you like them after a few days/miles.

Most any tire shop can mount and balance the fronts for you.
Some require them OFF the bike though.
What do you think of ride-on

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
I think all of those "internal" balancing things are mostly just a gimmick.
IF....you balance a wheel assembly with a tire on it correctly, there is no reason for it to later go OUT of balance, except for physical damage.
If it DOES, it needs to be inspected to see WHY.
I would be concerned that the "automatic" balancing could cover up a serious problem developing.

·
Registered
2014 RT Ltd SE6
30 Posts
I always recommend that Spyderlovers.com is the place to go for information on all things Spyder.. I have read hundreds of discussions on tires, many on ride-on and similar products. Go to spyderlovers and do a search and happy reading. BTW I changed my front tires to car tires about 3 years ago and the ride changed dramatically and the tire wear is mcuh better than OEM tires. Happy searching.
Ride Safe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always recommend that Spyderlovers.com is the place to go for information on all things Spyder.. I have read hundreds of discussions on tires, many on ride-on and similar products. Go to spyderlovers and do a search and happy reading. BTW I changed my front tires to car tires about 3 years ago and the ride changed dramatically and the tire wear is mcuh better than OEM tires. Happy searching.
Ride Safe!
I think all of those "internal" balancing things are mostly just a gimmick.
IF....you balance a wheel assembly with a tire on it correctly, there is no reason for it to later go OUT of balance, except for physical damage.
If it DOES, it needs to be inspected to see WHY.
I would be concerned that the "automatic" balancing could cover up a serious problem developing.

Well, the dealer refused to install a car tire on the rear so I gave in and put the kenda on. I ordered the vee rubber arachnid from motorcycleid which was supposed to have arrived yesterday. No tires. Finally had to call and find out what was up. They discovered that once it was put in the trailer it disappeared. Now I have to wait 3-5 business days to see if it happens to show up. If not, they'll reorder. This has been since the 19th. I was wondering if anyone else has been blessed with motorcycleid.com services.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Well, the dealer refused to install a car tire on the rear so I gave in and put the kenda on.
I hope that was the new version Kenda; the originals were really CRAP.
And before you go to a dealer again, call around if there are any others nearby.
Some will mount tires that you buy.

I see that you had a little trouble navigating the "quote" function.
I cleaned it up a bit for you. (y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts