Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at youtube checking out Spyder videos to gain more knowledge. I came across this video of a guy telling about his dislikes about the Spyder and wanted everyones take on what he had to say.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDN7UnKqKZU&feature=related]Can Am Spyder Problems. - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just a few comments...
1. The Rotax engine in the Spyder is liquid cooled. The vast majority of the engine cooling is done via airflow through the radiator. Not having airflow around the engine is not much of an issue.
2. Same thing goes for the oil cooler. The body work channels airflow through the oil cooler when you are moving. When you are stopped, the engine should not be producing much heat at all. If you are worried about the oil temperature, you can always add a fan to the oil cooler, Can Am did not seem to think it was necessary.
3. The bend in the frame having wrinkles is more of a cosmetic issue. I have not heard anyone complaining of the frame bending because it was not strong enough. It's not pretty, but it is also covered up most of the time.
4. The brake reservoir should not leak/drip/overflow. If it is pretty full and the brake pistons are pushed back in (like you have to when servicing a tire) the fluid will be pushed back into the reservoir and will overflow if there is not enough room for it. Most mechanics will drain out some fluid before it overflows.
5. As with any production vehicle, the manufacture has to take cost into consideration as well as functionality and figure out the trade offs between the two. There will always be after market upgrades/fixes that can make the vehicle better, for a price. The vehicle owner then can figure out the trade offs between cost and functionality. Is it worth buying a $500 slip-on muffler to save 5 pounds of weight?

·
Registered
504 Posts
You guys beat me to responding. Talking about not enough air getting to a liqued cooled engine........Hmm, a little suspect on that one. Ever take a look at the body work on some of the super bikes out there? The body work is also there to help direct air flow and improve stability at high speeds. I wonder if that is not an early spyder because I have not seen the ripples on the frame on mine and as been said I can't imagine a problem in any event. The brake fluid is a maintenance issue. My spyder has not lost a drop of any type of fluid in almost 2 years and I would know because I check for stuff like that.

The one thing I did see if some enterprising individual took on the task would be to come up with a cold air intake like are available for cars and even trucks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think with the air intake horns located in front of the radiator, it is probably a "high pressure" area (well a little higher) due to air backing up in front of the radiator. It should be pushing some extra air into the intake box. But I am sure that larger air intake horns would be helpful.

As a side note, I saw a study that tested cold air intakes on a Dodge diesel pickup. The test included both changes in air temperature and horsepower. Some systems actually let more hot air in and dropped the overall horsepower. The most gain in horsepower was only 3% (12 horsepower on a 325 horsepower engine). Not much bang for the buck IMHO.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The cold air system I put on our 92 miata relocated the air intake to the front where it allowed more air flow. Between that and a free flow exhaust woke that engine right up. The system I put on our MR2 relocated the intake from right next to the engine to the side vent where it gets fresh outside air. This car with headers and free flow exhaust spins up to the red line like it can't wait to get there.

For me the Can Am has more than adiquite power with just the hindle exhaust so probably wouldn't do anything more.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I stumbled across that video again today myself. even though it is at least a few years old.
first, he calls it a Spyder RT, even though it is clearly an RS (they never released an RT in yellow.)
complaining about not enough air to an liquid cooled engine... guys just an idiot trying to make the spyder look bad.
Complaining about cosmetic ripples on something hidden under two layers of plastic and a seat? get serious! could also be a "crumple zone" like found in cars. designed to crumple during an accident. not sure if having one under the seat is a good idea, but who am I to know?
I just suggest commenting about the misinformation this guy is spreading and thumbs down the video

·
Registered
40 Posts
I rode 12.500 mls with one of the first 08-GS (000326 )and then till now another 13.000 mls with my RT (0063) here in the ALPS where many companys test their bikes & cars (brakes overheat ..) - lot of fun - no problems..
its right BRP learned a lot in the last 4 years but all of the changes where free of charge for the users - so no risk to buy a vehicle from them ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
why did he buy it?

I wonder if this person purchased this bike to complain about it and try to make Cam Am look bad. There is a three day law--if your not happy with your purchase,, that is of you know how to put it back together, now that you have taken it apart.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This video has been around for a while. This guy used to build the F1 windshields for the Spyders. He was basicly run out of town when he stopped filling orders. If you just listen to his thoughts on the Spyder you call tell at this point he had a beef with BRP and was trying to shift his buisness shortcomings on to the design of the Spyder. :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This video has been around for a while. This guy used to build the F1 windshields for the Spyders. He was basicly run out of town when he stopped filling orders. If you just listen to his thoughts on the Spyder you call tell at this point he had a beef with BRP and was trying to shift his buisness shortcomings on to the design of the Spyder. :confused:
I didn't know that. That is interesting to know. Some of what he was saying was not making sense so that is why I shared the video to get others take on what he was saying. Sounds like he may have been a little biased then for personal reasons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts