Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new Spyder owner I joined this and one other Spyder forum as a means of sharing and learning about my new ride. But this forum seems more dead than alive, with very little activity. I find that I check the forums that I participate in pretty much daily, including motorcycleforum.com, spyderlovers.com, GL1800.com, rugerforum.com, glocktalk.com and several others. But why bother when it seems hardly anyone is commenting or starting new threads? Am I missing something, or do you agree with me?

·
Registered
2017 Polaris Rzr EPS 570 SXS
28 Posts
Vito, it is just a function of how many folks are out there with a Spyder, as in not that many. You and I share a lot in common, both old guys who made the move to a nice Spyder {I traded in my 2017 Indian Springfield} both the same awesome blue. I spend a fair amount of time on a number of other Forum's {RV.Net, IRV2, Smith & Wesson, Honda, Polaris etc.} and the activity is always commensurate with the number of folks out there that have one. Here is a shot of mine:

Shoot me a private message anytime, as noted we have a lot in common. Take care,

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t doubt that you are right. But it seems to take some minimum number of active members to give a forum life. For Spyder, this forum seems far less popular than the Spyderlovers forum, but I plan to stay active on both. And maybe there is a normal life cycle for a forum. Motorcycleforum.com, for example, while still active, lost some key members a few years back and seems to be slowly but surely losing interest.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't fret over it. I do find that when I check on a forum that I have been interested in, and see little to no new activity of interest to me, I stop coming to look at it and delete it from my Favorites.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,567 Posts
I don't fret over it. I do find that when I check on a forum that I have been interested in, and see little to no new activity of interest to me, I stop coming to look at it and delete it from my Favorites.
And THAT is one reason why some forums never have much activity.
;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a new Spyder owner I joined this and one other Spyder forum as a means of sharing and learning about my new ride. But this forum seems more dead than alive, with very little activity. I find that I check the forums that I participate in pretty much daily, including motorcycleforum.com, spyderlovers.com, GL1800.com, rugerforum.com, glocktalk.com and several others. But why bother when it seems hardly anyone is commenting or starting new threads? Am I missing something, or do you agree with me?
I just joined today in anticipation of purchasing a Spyder, hopefully, next month. I, too, am on Glocktalk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Start by telling us what bike you got and any upgrades you have done to it and we might see if there is anything to talk about. Are you a DIY guy or a credit card farkler that shoots a wab of debt at a shop to buy and install the latest trinket.. Do you believe in car tires and upgraded sway bars. Aftermarket Shocks?? Foot boards? You know tell us something that would make us want to talk to you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's not a matter of belief.
The rims on a Spyder have a "car tire" bead so anything you put on it really should be a "car tire".
I worry that the relatively light weight of the Spyder coupled with the sidewall stiffness of a car tire together with the lower than "car tire" air pressure could lead to poor adhesion to the rim.

I am also concerned that a smart insurance adjuster will say "unapproved by the manufacturer" and stick the rider with the repair costs and liability for any third party damages.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,567 Posts
I worry that the relatively light weight of the Spyder coupled with the sidewall stiffness of a car tire together with the lower than "car tire" air pressure could lead to poor adhesion to the rim.

I am also concerned that a smart insurance adjuster will say "unapproved by the manufacturer" and stick the rider with the repair costs and liability for any third party damages.
Your concerns are unfounded.

The pressures in use are not THAT much different.
And a soft sidewall is much more likely to roll off the rim than a stiff one.

AND.....there is no requirement that tires be "approved" by the manufacturer.......except for the max. speed rating.
The tire industry has it's own standards.......and those original OEM Kendas are dangerously close to being deficient for street use. THAT is what you should worry about.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't been to this forum in quite awhile, and I was glad to see some activity going on. Motorcycling has been a major aspect of my life for almost 40 years. I was much later than most in getting on to 2 wheels, having put it off due to concerns and family obligations, etc. but then at age 41 saying to myself that I had waited far too long to pursue what I had wanted since I was about 18. I've been a scooter rider, a cruiser rider, and a touring rider. I used to read 7 or 8 monthly motorcycle magazines, using them in the winter months as a substitute for not being able to actually ride. And when I decided at 78 that my 920 pound 2 wheeler, a wonderful Honda Goldwing, was just too much weight for me to handle comfortably anymore, I somewhat reluctantly joined the 3 wheel community. Even now I participate in several motorcycle related forums, in part just to have motorcycle related conversations and shooting the breeze with others of all varied backgrounds but who share a love of riding. One forum that I am a participant in is the Honda PCX scooter forum, but weeks can pass without a new thread starting, and sometimes without a single post added to any of the threads that I was following. As a result it starts to disappear from my daily internet surfing. I start to feel like I should not bother to even click on the website since it likely will look exactly like it did weeks ago. I tried coming up with threads just to stimulate discussion, but even that was barely doing anything. I started this thread because I was hoping it did not wither away as the PCX forum has done. But if it does, I can live with that just as I have lived with the disappearance of virtually all the printed motorcycle magazines that I used to read.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vito,
Im also in the 70ish group and love to ride my RTS. Mostly i look around and dont much reply or have much to discuss on the forum. Living in Salt Lake City i get to ride a lot, including the winter and the mountains and desert around here are so much fun. Keep looking around and there is activity on the forum, but i cant compare it to the Honda ST1300 and Burgman forms or the Suzuki Vstrom forms. I have since left these as i still have the Honda Burgman but i mainly ride the Spyder.

Have fun and ride safe out there.

Mantaray23

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't been to this forum in quite awhile, and I was glad to see some activity going on. Motorcycling has been a major aspect of my life for almost 40 years. I was much later than most in getting on to 2 wheels, having put it off due to concerns and family obligations, etc. but then at age 41 saying to myself that I had waited far too long to pursue what I had wanted since I was about 18. I've been a scooter rider, a cruiser rider, and a touring rider. I used to read 7 or 8 monthly motorcycle magazines, using them in the winter months as a substitute for not being able to actually ride. And when I decided at 78 that my 920 pound 2 wheeler, a wonderful Honda Goldwing, was just too much weight for me to handle comfortably anymore, I somewhat reluctantly joined the 3 wheel community. Even now I participate in several motorcycle related forums, in part just to have motorcycle related conversations and shooting the breeze with others of all varied backgrounds but who share a love of riding. One forum that I am a participant in is the Honda PCX scooter forum, but weeks can pass without a new thread starting, and sometimes without a single post added to any of the threads that I was following. As a result it starts to disappear from my daily internet surfing. I start to feel like I should not bother to even click on the website since it likely will look exactly like it did weeks ago. I tried coming up with threads just to stimulate discussion, but even that was barely doing anything. I started this thread because I was hoping it did not wither away as the PCX forum has done. But if it does, I can live with that just as I have lived with the disappearance of virtually all the printed motorcycle magazines that I used to read.
I will see your 41 and raise you 50 😆! I started riding my 2015 Spydet RT @ 50 and just bought myself an HD Sportster....nevah too olde to enjoy your ride!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man its slow sometimes but I just look in to see what's going on from time to time or what's helpful to me or something I know about. I have a 2021 rt limited
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.