Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some user reviews that were less than enticing. Problems with stalling and breaking down, transmission issues etc. How reliable are these motorcycles? Am I just reading a small group of riders that have had issues or do they have issues across all riders?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love my Spyder

I to read the reviews after I bought my spyder and it was making my wonder if I did right. But I must say it is the best thing I have ever done--I LOVE my SPYDER--I think some of the older models were a little more prone to have things go wrong but I have had no problems with mine. I have an RT Limited and am planing to go on a trip across country (up to New England) as soon as it gets a little cooler. I have 1500 miles on it now and will be putting around 5000 more in just a bit so I hope it does not mess up ha ha. I have faith in the boys at BRP.
Go and get one -- new that is and you should have no problems

see ya
Santa

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Richard -

I've got an '08 GS (RS) SM5, and love it. I think the issues you're reading about are only the folks who have complaints; those of us with good experiences aren't complaining at all, and are enjoying the ride instead.

Give them a test ride, see for yourself. You'll want to remember that it takes a bit of getting used to before you're comfortable, but the test will give you an idea.

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
7 Posts
User experience.

I got mine lightly used and have had no issues just enjoyment! I added some aftermarket items with varying degrees of difficulty but no real issues. I did screw up my only key but its my fault not the manufactureres.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I think they are just like any vehicle

some are perfect from day 1 some have their issues and can't be fixed then you get others and do a bit of work to get them right and are happy as you know what.

do your research, talk to people who have them

·
Registered
504 Posts
What I have found is that on these forums some problems seem to get amplified out of porportion. That is not to say that forums are a bad thing but they need to be put into context. I got on the Miata forums when we had two different miata's and went through that. Then when we got the MR2spyder again on the forums if you were not familiar with the product it would scare the pants off of you. Between the pre-cat problems, computer problems or the sequential transmission pump problems you would think the MR2 is terrible. It is not and we have had ours for 9 years and love it more every year. I am glad we got our Can Am Spyder before getting on the forums or we might not have bought one.........and that would have been truly a shame and we would have missed out so much fun.

My wife and I go out on rides at least a couple of times a week and now it looks like there is enough interest in starting a club in Boise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is a very complicated and overly computerized piece of enjoyment which when it is running right and doing what it is supposed to do is really fun to ride. When it breaks or malfunctions it can be a pain and expensive to fix if you can find a dealer who has the right equipment to even work on it. A lot of that can be dependent on where you live and how many dealers are in the area. Some are good for only changing the oil (at $150 a shot) and can not be trusted for much else. Buying one to my way of thinking can be quite a rewarding "Crapshoot" It becomes sort of a love hate relationship at times. Good Luck! Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts