Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I thinking on getting a 2011 RTS but I don't think I can get it in my one car garage with our new car in it. I have been using the measurements give in the brochere. Can anyone tell me if they are accurate? Also if someone could give me the height to the top of the nose would be great.

One possibility would be to jack up the wheels and put dollys under each one and try to jocky it in and try to fit it. Is the spyder easy to jack one wheel at a time?

What has someone else done that might work for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have a standard one car garage, it's probably not going to work. The Spyder is 5 foot wide in the front. I wouldn't recommend jacking the wheels and putting dolly's under it. That would only make it wider!!! I know many motorcycle owners who don't have a garage at all so a good cover might be your best bet. You can lock the wheels so it can't be rolled away or chain it to something. I am lucky in that I have a very deep garage so I can get my car and Spyder end-to-end. Good luck.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree with SpyderGirl. The Spyders are as wide as a compact car. It will take up most of a single car garage. I had to move shelves around to help mine fit.

If it is too hard to get out of the garage, you will not be able to take advantage of the short ride opportunities.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a single car garage and what I had planned to do was use wheel dollies and fit the Can Am in side ways in front of the Mr2 spyder. My garage is 12 by 20. There are dollies that you you slide in front and back of the tires and then the dollie squeezes the tire and lifts it. I priced them out from Harbor Freight at about three hundred for a set but they also have them on E-BAY. I wanted to expand my garage but the problem in Boise is that you have to have a five foot distance between the foundation and the property line on the side. Turns out I have a total of just under seven feet on the side. The excetpion to the five foot rule here is that it does not cover sheds under 125 square feet. So I built a lean to shed that the Spyder just fits in right next to the garage on the property line. It is a tight fit to get it in and out with about 2 inches on each side and a tree that needs to be dodged to boot. It looks like a golf cart garage that a lot of places on golf courses have and blends in quite nicely with the house.

Your opening needs to be as much over 60 inchs wide as you can get away with for ease of getting it in and out and should be 9 or 10 feet deep to allow a little wiggle room. My shed ended up costing quite a bit as then I decided I wanted it finished on the inside with a roll up door, insulation, power and a cement floor but if you have room it wouldn't have to cost an arm and a leg as my wife likes to point out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a single car garage and what I had planned to do was use wheel dollies and fit the Can Am in side ways in front of the Mr2 spyder. My garage is 12 by 20. There are dollies that you you slide in front and back of the tires and then the dollie squeezes the tire and lifts it. I priced them out from Harbor Freight at about three hundred for a set but they also have them on E-BAY. I wanted to expand my garage but the problem in Boise is that you have to have a five foot distance between the foundation and the property line on the side. Turns out I have a total of just under seven feet on the side. The excetpion to the five foot rule here is that it does not cover sheds under 125 square feet. So I built a lean to shed that the Spyder just fits in right next to the garage on the property line. It is a tight fit to get it in and out with about 2 inches on each side and a tree that needs to be dodged to boot. It looks like a golf cart garage that a lot of places on golf courses have and blends in quite nicely with the house.
Your opening needs to be as much over 60 inchs wide as you can get away with for ease of getting it in and out and should be 9 or 10 feet deep to allow a little wiggle room. My shed ended up costing quite a bit as then I decided I wanted it finished on the inside with a roll up door, insulation, power and a cement floor but if you have room it wouldn't have to cost an arm and a leg as my wife likes to point out.

Thanks Corybud on the tip for dollys from Harbor Freight, I forgot about them.
I'm thinking if I remove my work bench and use dollys I just might make it. I am going strickly by dimensions given in their brochure. We plan on going to the dealer tomorrow so my wife can see the colors and see where we go from there.

Only other think hanging on my mind is that reading the forums there seems to be many problems with these trikes and customer support seems to be
lacking. The last two bike I had (triumphs) have been excellant and dealer support for me was excellant.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Customer support is directly related to the dealership you're dealing with. I emailed BRP directly, and they sent a generic email suggesting I contact my dealership. Might want to do a bit of research on your local dealer and make sure they have a good rep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great idea, but I just bought the present car new in April. Man I would take a real hit finacially. Could see the wife now. As it is I will have to sell my bike which I bought this spring to help fiance the Spyder.

·
Registered
504 Posts
On your work bench you could hinge the work surface so you can flip it up when the spyder is tucked away and flip it down with chains on each side to hold it when you need a work bench.

As far as the bike it self there were some problems as with anything new however I feel that they are and have been addressed. The dealer is another question that BRP is addressing. I have been fortunate that the local dealer has a very good shop and I do understand that is not always the case. The best advise I could offer is to check out the dealer and make what ever choice works best for you and your wife.

My Spyder is running so sweet......just got back from a long run up into the mountains out of Boise with another Spyder owner. The air was crisp and clean.....wow what a ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip Corybud on hinging the work bench. I think I will tackle that this winter.

On another note I pulled the trigger this morning on a 2011 magnesium metalic RTS SE5 spyder.

Took my wife and we went for a demo drive along the beach and had a good time. It took a little getting use to especially turning corners.

Going to pick it up in the morning. Any sugguestions on set up etc would be welcome.:D

·
Registered
504 Posts
Congtatulations on your new spyder. There is a learning curve for getting comfortable with it so I would just say take your time and not push to hard as it will come. Most of the Spyders I have seen have their front shocks set at the middle setting but from most everyone I have talked to the highest setting is best. There is also a debate about tire pressure and I have heard people setting it as high as 32 pounds but for me 19 front 30 rear seems to be about right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the dealer turn up the shocks to 5 and set the tire presures to 18 front and 30 rear. Right now it seems to handle good. Just the usual difference from 2 to 3 wheel.
Right now I have to get use to all the heat being generated from the bike. Its in the mid 80's here today and its a hot ride. My motorcycle wasn't as toasty, but then there is winter!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
They make aftermarket items to help deflect the heat from the right foot area - I've got it on my byke, but darned if I can remember the name of the parts right now! Really should put it on my signature so I've got it handy.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the tip Corybud on hinging the work bench. I think I will tackle that this winter.

On another note I pulled the trigger this morning on a 2011 magnesium metalic RTS SE5 spyder.

Took my wife and we went for a demo drive along the beach and had a good time. It took a little getting use to especially turning corners.

Going to pick it up in the morning. Any sugguestions on set up etc would be welcome.:D
Congratulations on your new toy!!! The more you ride it the more your going to enjoy it..... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts