Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First/foremost...my name in Ken Smith and I'm sending this post to ya'll from Abilene, Tx. I currently ride a 2009 GSXR when I'm feeling young and a 2006 Electra Glide classic when I'm feeling old (no offense to anyone). I've been contemplating for some time now whether to purchase the RT, but am having a hard time deciding whether I want to part with the money.

Additionally, my father (who is 64) currently rides a Wing, but is hoping to buy a Wing trike with the hopes my mom will ride with him more so than she does now. Not a Wing fan myself, I'm trying to steer him towards the Can-Am. He lives down in Albuquerque and took the RT for a test drive, but was less than impressed with regards to the power. He felt it was lacking, although it was a simple around-the-block test drive. Not necessarily an ideal situation to truly gauge the Sypder's capabilities. And he feels like he's getting more for the money (although it cost more) with the Wing.

I'm hoping there's some of ya'll out there who have owned both and would be willing to share your opinions of both. Not looking for anyone to bash the Wing, but just a simple opinion/assessment of both.

I did a search of the forums to see if there were any previous threads on subject, but nothing came up....unless I didn't put in the right keywords.

Many thanks in advance.
Ken

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
First/foremost...my name in Ken Smith and I'm sending this post to ya'll from Abilene, Tx. I currently ride a 2009 GSXR when I'm feeling young and a 2006 Electra Glide classic when I'm feeling old (no offense to anyone). I've been contemplating for some time now whether to purchase the RT, but am having a hard time deciding whether I want to part with the money.

Additionally, my father (who is 64) currently rides a Wing, but is hoping to buy a Wing trike with the hopes my mom will ride with him more so than she does now. Not a Wing fan myself, I'm trying to steer him towards the Can-Am. He lives down in Albuquerque and took the RT for a test drive, but was less than impressed with regards to the power. He felt it was lacking, although it was a simple around-the-block test drive. Not necessarily an ideal situation to truly gauge the Sypder's capabilities. And he feels like he's getting more for the money (although it cost more) with the Wing.

I'm hoping there's some of ya'll out there who have owned both and would be willing to share your opinions of both. Not looking for anyone to bash the Wing, but just a simple opinion/assessment of both.

I did a search of the forums to see if there were any previous threads on subject, but nothing came up....unless I didn't put in the right keywords.

Many thanks in advance.
Ken
I had a Goldwing Trike with the top of the line independent rear end conversion. Mine also had a tilt kit on it to make it easier to steer, but even with the best of everything, I hated going around corners on it. Afer owning one, I will never own one again. In my opinion, a wing trike is a VERY dangerous thing. I tipped mine over in a PARKING LOT of all places. It looked like this one: Honda Gold Wing Trike Motorcycle Test Ride Review

The Spyder RT is hands down a better-safer ride. The Spyder looks really cool, costs way less than any Wing trike conversion and is so much safer it is not silly. Just my humble opinion :D

The wing engine is wonderful piece though, smooth as glass and will live forever. It has more cylinders than the Rotax, so it will feel more powerful for sure. One thing Honda know how to do is engineer and build engines!

·
Registered
110 Posts
My friend has dumped his H D trike twice once in a parking lot and another time taking a long sweeping turn, the bike still runs but is a really beat up. I would suggest your father get a Spyder R S and add a few improvements such as a better seat raise the handle bars put some floor boards on and add a touring wind shield and he will still have enough power to blow away most bikes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I can't do the comparison you suggest since I have never ridden a Wing and I currently ride a 2009 Spyder RS. I do have a question for you however - you mention you have a GSX-R - is that the Suzuki? I almost bought a Suzuki GSX 600 and the wife talked me out of it. The Spyder was in the garage a week later and I don't regret it but am still curious about the 600. David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David,

Yep...it's a Suzuki GSX-R750. I grew up on sport bikes, but as I got older I migrated to Harley's. My back and wrists couldn't take the abuse of a sport bike. However, you never quite lose that "need for speed" so I bought the GSXR a couple years ago, although it rarely gets ridden. Go buy yourself one...you might find that you really enjoy it....Ken

·
Registered
504 Posts
OK, sorry but I have to ask since two of you have said that they have "tipped/dumped" a traditional trike in parking lots...........my question is how the he## does that happen?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agree with Spyderman

I have to agree with Spyderman at best the Wing trike is an adaptation. I was one day from purchasing a Wing trike (trading in my 2 wheel Wing) when it came to me that the Spyder was designed to be what it is form the ground up. Oh, and for what I paid for my RTS I would have to go back 5 years minimum for an 1800 Trike. Yes, look up BigRed1 he has his feet firmly planted in both worlds. I enjoyed my Wing while I had it, I enjoy my RTS even more!

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
"Dumped" a trike? I have owned two 1F/2R and one 2F/1R trikes, all three of which I sometimes rode fairly aggressively and never came close to turning one over. What happened? I have limited seat time on a Can Am Spyder but can tell you that all else equal, the 2F/1R configuration is more stable than the opposite.

My friend has dumped his H D trike twice once in a parking lot and another time taking a long sweeping turn, the bike still runs but is a really beat up. I would suggest your father get a Spyder R S and add a few improvements such as a better seat raise the handle bars put some floor boards on and add a touring wind shield and he will still have enough power to blow away most bikes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think I heard someone mention my name. I have 700 miles on my RT-S and still have mixed feelings about it. I have 60K on my Gold Wing and really love it. I will have to ride the RT 1,000 or more miles to really get a handle on it. I have never had a problem with my Wing....none! The RT is a maintenance pig. Very expensive 3-6-12K dealer checks....

Just this morning, when I was on my way to meet my riding buddies, the orange screen came on and said "limp mode" and check DPS. The book said remove and reinsert the key or tow to dealer. I reinserted the key and ran 150 miles without incident. However, this was alarming and something that should not happen on a fine, expensive product.

The Wing trike and RT are very different rides. Anyone buying one should do their homework. A Wing trike is several thousand more than a RT. The purchase is a very personal decision. I feel very safe on my Wing. I do not know how you would tip one over without doing a violent maneuver. I have never come close to tipping mine over...even going through a huge ditch to escape being hit by a headon driver.

I have a rake kit on the Wing and do not find it any more difficult to steer than a RT. At speed the gyroscopic effect on the front wheel of the Wing makes it very stable....my RT wanders some...no big deal, however.

These are my initial thoughts on these two machines. I won't debate the plus and minus points of either machine...these are my opinions...not a rant.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
OK, sorry but I have to ask since two of you have said that they have "tipped/dumped" a traditional trike in parking lots...........my question is how the he## does that happen?

Thanks

Mike
It was much easier than I had imagined it would be, the fact it happened so quick I had no time to react (correctly) was what spooked me the most.

I was making a full lock SLOW right turn, the inside wheel lifted, which tossed me to the left.... so what did I do? hung on for dear life.... um, here is the problem, being tossed to the left, what was I hanging onto? The throttle! I think you can figure out the rest :eek:

The issue was the ability to back off the throttle while having to hang onto the dang throttle to prevent myself from getting tossed off a trike going a silly 2 mph (tops). It was a loosing battle/no-win situation, at least for me.

I admit, I am not proud of my error, it was one of those "Darwinian moments" and once this happened to me once, I "think" I could avoid it in the future (turning right while going slow always I'll always be leaning a little to the right), but it was something I can see easily happening to any rider. I did not keep the trike for much longer after that. But it was sure beautiful.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I see how Spyderman tipped his Wing trike....yeah, that would do it and that would make you think twice about your Wing trike future. I only had my trike about ten days when I was run off the road (I went off the road to the ditch or die) to miss this fool coming headon toward me. I went in this huge ditch, down, up the other side (telling God I was a good person), downshifted, back down in the ditch and back up on the highway. I knew then the Wing trike was my ride.

My Wing has a solid axle, a V6 Mustang with the Mustang disc brakes. I have an on board air compressor to adjust my air shocks for different riding situations, much like my RT-S. I like both systems. With the Wing, solid axle vs. IRS is another subject.

The radio controls on the RT are labor intensive...I like the "factory mount" of the Garmin GPS. I really like the electric adjustable windshield, the headlight display, and front and rear storage space.

I am adjusting the air pressures in the tires to find the best ride for me (a chore on the rear tire due to very little space between tire and brake disc).

The design and looks of the Spyder are FIRST CLASS.

These rides are very different...as we all know. Just different strokes for...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts