Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '08 RS (GS) seat needs some help... its not as comfy as it could be. Until I can afford to replace it, I'm looking into a temporary fix.

Anyone used one of these, and if so, what size did you order?

Sweet Cheeks motorcycle seat suport

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
never heard of empty pop bottles being used as seats.. hmm wonder what would happen if you left one full and it blowed up under yr butt?

air hawks rule.. we have had them since we got the bike and there is now way we could have done as much ryding as we have without them

we are more than likely still use them after we get the new seat

just make sure to get the proper size

·
Registered
570 Posts
Love the disclaimer "Sweet Cheeks are not warranted for use on a moving vehicle"!

I have found that a good pair of riding pants and underwear make a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wondered how many people would look at the thread before one of you ventured an answer! LOL!!

Thanks, Guys. I emailed the company asking about size and got a reply saying they'd hate to guess, but they're willing to make a custom size for an extra charge. Um, if I don't know what size to order, how are they going to make a custom size for me?

As far as Airhawks, how would I know what size to order? There isn't a guide for Spyders on their site. Any GS/RS riders here who have one? Guess I could always email them...

SpyderDave, do you use bicycle riding shorts, with the padded butt?

·
Registered
570 Posts
@sassapnts - I have used bicycle shorts under my motorcycle pants on long rides. The padded ones will help keep things dry and reduce chaffing. I have found that if your clothes have a seam that matches up with the seat just right, it is sure to find a nerve to pinch. Also, having a wallet in my back pocket can cause comfort issues.

For long rides, it is worth the cost to purchase some quality riding pants. They may not be very comfortable to walk around in, but the comfort while riding is much better.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
custom seats?

expensive though

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Bob!! :D

SpyderDave, yep, those were the ones I was thinking of, the riding pants with pads.

At this point custom seats are on the wish list, I guess - the price tag is out of my comfortable reach for the near future.

Necessity being the mother of invention, I've got an idea to make my own seat cushion for an upcoming ride; will let you guys know if it works out anywhere near worth talking about!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well. Thank goodness I've got an inventive husband! We were successful in the making of a booster seat, for lack of a better term.

Rolled up an exercise mat - the kind you buy for yoga, etc... had one I wasn't using - and cut it in half. Then folded one half of it longways, marked the center, and rolled from both sides in so each end had a roll on the end. John held that in place on my seat while I sat on it so we could get a good measure on it for my personal comfort. Made it so I was resting mainly on the seat and supported by the rolls.

I jumped off the seat and held the rolled-up ends while he punched a small hole through and ran a tie-wrap around on both ends of each roll-up, securing it in place.

Rode on that yesterday to and from the wedding we were to shoot, and was oh so comfy!!! Only one complaint from my backside, and that was when I had gotten too comfy and not leaned forward for a particularly bad bump. My tailbone hollered for a second and then I was good again.

The plan is to make a cover for it and strap it in place. Thinking an oversized pair of jeans from the local thrift store, using one leg to make a sheath and slide my seat cushion into it. Sew it on one end, velcro on the other, and add some strap holders to each side with some sort of elastic strap or something to attach it under the seat.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
interesting

can you do any Yoga positions while driving?

hehe

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been a couple weeks since I've been around. With the good weather taking over, I haven't taken time to come back by!!

Bob, will take pics soon, promise!

Paladin, LOL!! Haven't tried, but with 3 wheels I'm guessing there's a better chance than with 2! :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aww, thanks! Didn't get any pics taken today... have been single-minded and am seeing the end of the tunnel on my current project. Hope to get pics in the next few days. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts