Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a new swaybar for my 2010 RTS. Hating how the front end feels sloppy. Just don't trust it in turns. Is $211 delivered a decent price for the Evoluzione (sp??) swaybar? Has anyone seen these cheaper anywhere?

I figured I'd try that, as it's cheaper, before going with new shocks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
That is the sway bar I put on my RS and set it to the stiff setting. Can't say enough about how much better my spyder handled after just doing the sway bar. Would think it would really help the RT in as much as the weight being such a factor over the RS.

I can't remember how much I paid but 211.00 seems about right.

·
Registered
504 Posts
With the stock shocks I tried all the settings at one point or another. The stock shock set on the hardest setting with the heavy duty sway bar also set to the hardest setting was pretty good. I found that the stock rear shock on the RS that I have was kind of a pain to adjust. The new Elka shocks use a threaded collor on the front and can be adjusted for compression and rebound. The new rear shock has a hydrolic pre load adjustment that I can change depending on Wife/no Wife on board. Another aspect I liked with the Elka shocks is that they are built based on my weight and my wife's. While on the expensive side for me the Elka shocks were well worth it as my spyder feels much more solid and I am able to hit the corners considerably quicker going in and power out sooner with more confidence.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, my fronts are on 5. I always knew the front felt queasy, but it really showed itself when MiHardy and I went to Hoover Dam. He was taking curves pretty smoothly, and quickly on his '11 RT, while I worked the curves very gingerly on my '10 RT.

I was almost sold on the swaybar...about ready to hit buy on Ebay, then I started to see, on another Spyder board, things about the fitment causing some binding and undue stress on the retainers.

Now if seen some stuff that the '12s may have Fox shocks that could be an upgrade to the '11s. And why doesn't anyone just make stiffer springs you can just put on the stock bodies?

For the money this bike costs, I don't want to mess it up with swaybar that might not be healthy for the bike in the long run. And for the cost of the shocks, I just want to make sure I get the best available at the stocker price point.

Wish I made enough dough for these considerations not to matter. LOL.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Don't know about binding and fitment problems on the RT but I have had no problems on my RS. I had my mechanic put the Elka shocks on and check out everything and he raved about how my spyder handled and went together. He said flat out that my spyder is the best handling spyder he has seen so far.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My shocks are only set on 3. I set them to four at one point, and got my bike up on two wheels on a turn I normally do with out issue. Switched back to 3 the instant I got home. Though I've been tempted to bump them back up lately, as the handling improvement was significant.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My Spyder RS came set up on the 3 setting and it seemed ok when I was by myself but was way to soft with the wife on board. Once I went up to the 5 setting I never looked back.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Askedthe tech at my dealer yesterday about this. They said stronger, stiffer springs were put on the '11 models. Could explain the difference you were seeing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts