Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Spyder Limited RT
4 Posts
I have a 2017 RT and it overfuels the engine while driving, how do I know this you ask , because I took an oil sample with 10K km on the oil and it was 3.65% fuel . Being an auto/millwright mechanic I know this is way too high. You can expect maybe 1 to 1.5. Diluted oil is wearing out our engines prematurely and when confronting the dealer with this oil sample I just got deer in the headlights look. No offer to check fuel mapping etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Diluted oil is wearing out our engines prematurely
I am pretty sure that "OUR" engines are not wearing out prematurely.......for any reason, including this one.

Don't make this harder than it probably IS.
It is highly likely that an injector is stuck partially open, resulting in excess fuel flow to one cylinder.
Inspecting the plugs might tell you which cylinder it is.
If not, testing the injectors definitely should.

A healthy dose of Techron or Berrymans B12 or Gumout in the gas might help solve the problem but you need some way to TELL if there is any change or not.
Is it not running bad at all ? Or the exhaust smelling of gas when first started ??

P.S. It is really hard to find a good competent mechanic these days but if there are any other dealers relatively close, I suggest that you try them. Maybe you will get lucky with a different one.

·
Registered
2017 Spyder Limited RT
4 Posts
You make some good points, it runs fine other than it will detonate on first tip in from first, fuel mileage is say 350Km per tank so not terrible that way I don't think. I have 28000 kms on it. I will check the spark plugs thks for the tips. When I fill up I put the left fron wheel up on the island to get an extra 5L of gas.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
When I fill up I put the left fron wheel up on the island to get an extra 5L of gas.
Bad, BAD practice.
It is likely that YOU are causing the problem yourself.
:oops:

The gas tank system contains a fuel vapor recovery loop that is supposed to suck vapors ONLY back into the intake to burn them. That goes through a charcoal canister and a vacuum hose.

Just filling the tank to the rim when it is level can cause problems because it gets gas into the canister and plugs it up.
What YOU are doing pretty much ensures that a LOT of liquid gas gets into that mechanism AND then gets sucked into the engine where it won't all burn.

STOP DOING THAT and your problem likely will disappear. Really.
You probably need to find that canister and empty it out or replace it too.

·
Registered
2017 Spyder Limited RT
4 Posts
OK sound advice, i will double check that , I've never had a problem before the last 3 years I've been doing it. In that case the tank is too small 🤨

·
Registered
2017 Spyder Limited RT
4 Posts
From what I see yes it is quite a problem that has not been resolved over the years which is astonishing this day and age to have such a simple problem. My 15 Goldwing you could fill it up and it was fine. In this era have you had to just fill 3/4? Moving the evap/carbon canister higher seems like a no brainer solution. Thks again Easy Rider for your input as you solved my problem now I just have to replace and move that damn canister higher.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
now I just have to replace and move that damn canister higher.
SIGH.
NO that is NOT the solution.
There is a slight suction in that line and mounting it higher might actually make the problem WORSE instead of better.
The solution is: Be satisfied with the usable 6 gallon capacity and near to 200 mile range.
Use the gas tank the way it was designed to be used.

This is not a problem for anybody but YOU.
You need an attitude adjustment.
Done.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts