Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a way to rock out to my music when i go riding. I came across the JL Audio Stealth system awhile ago on this companys website. It has a set of marine speakers, a four channel amp, a 8 inch subwoofer and a amplifier for the sub. It deffiently makes for the most unique/fun experience. Ill attach the link for others!

Creative Car Audio - JL Audio 2007 - Up BRP Can-Am Spyder RS Roadster

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude, that is sick. What year/model do you have? Did you get it installed? What do you think? I'm looking into buying my first Spyder and that would be a must have for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have A 2011 RSS semi auto. . Can someone tell me if there is an am fm sterio system I can install myself that doesn't cost $ 1500 dollars ?
Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
Speaking only for myself I have not really heard a great stereo on a motorcycle. Most of the time where we ride in Idaho you can't get good reception anyway so never thought about am/fm so in some parts of the country that may be an issue.

I have been just using Grado GR-10 in ear headphones plugged into my I phone, but just ordered a set of bluetooth JBL in ear headphones that I am going to try. The Grado's are fantastic headphones but are kind of spendy at about 400.00. I hope the JBL's sound decent enough and with bluetooth will be cordless, plus can use the phone as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
In fear of Not hearing a warning horn?

Speaking only for myself I have not really heard a great stereo on a motorcycle. Most of the time where we ride in Idaho you can't get good reception anyway so never thought about am/fm so in some parts of the country that may be an issue.

I have been just using Grado GR-10 in ear headphones plugged into my I phone, but just ordered a set of bluetooth JBL in ear headphones that I am going to try. The Grado's are fantastic headphones but are kind of spendy at about 400.00. I hope the JBL's sound decent enough and with bluetooth will be cordless, plus can use the phone as well.
Hi Cory,
Well, Admittedly, I don't know the traffic conditions where you ride, or if you enjoy listening to your music well out on the open road, riding in the wind alone.

I think the only draw back of wearing a pair of awesome sounding ear buds while riding, are the most obvious danger of not hearing the traffic around you. A warning horn, never mind someone's much quieter voice, if they had called out to you, hearing just your tunes. Who's fault would it be, because you were deaf to danger, by choice?
While riding any motorized vehicle, wearing a mandatory protective helmut, our hearing is already quite quietly impaired. Playing our favorite songs, often at louder than normal volume, just adds to the problem of reducing the important sense of hearing. How low of volume can you go, before it's unenjoyable?
I hope you will reconsider this, as it may save your life someday.
Just a friendly suggestion from a Spyder brother. Ride safe... Please!!

Chas

·
Registered
504 Posts
I normally don't listen to anything but don't see much difference between having ear buds in or having a a stereo blasting loud enough to hear when wearing a helmet with respect to traffic noise etc.... My comment had more to do with the quality of sound and expense related to what you end up with buds vs speakers, amp(s) sub etc. I am sure that there are good cycle sound systems out there, I just have never heard a decent one.

As I get older I find I enjoy the wind and quiet more and having tunes on all the time less but thats just a personal choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The JL Audio System is a Great choice

I have a 2011 Can-Am Spyder RSS. I ordered the JL Audio system through Car Stereo Max in Dayton, Ohio and had them install it for a little under $1500. The system cost me $1225.00 plus installation. This system is well worth the money plus some. The quality is excellent and the sound is astonishing. More volume then you will ever need. I rode threw a heavy rain down pour and speakers kept playing. Remember folks, the speakers are marine grade weather proof and that is where the cost comes in. If your looking for the best system for your can-am, this is it.:cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I normally don't listen to anything but don't see much difference between having ear buds in or having a stereo blasting loud enough to hear when wearing a helmet with respect to traffic noise etc.... My comment had more to do with the quality of sound and expense related to what you end up with buds vs speakers, amp(s) sub etc. I am sure that there are good cycle sound systems out there, I just have never heard a decent one.

As I get older I find I enjoy the wind and quiet more and having tunes on all the time less but thats just a personal choice.
I'm not disagreeing with you, only sharing my experience, thoughts and such.
With the bike speakers facing backwards, we are actually driving through the music sound waves. The music can travel into the helmets, and through the face shield, quite easily so it doesn't have to be played at real loud volume to hear it well enough.
I completely understand where you are coming from too, where enjoying the natural sounds while riding, can be just as enjoyable if not more so, than of our favorite bands belting out the greatest hits. You actually get to think too!!

The reason they make motorbike stereos with speakers opposed to just matching wireless Bluetooth headphones or high quality ear buds in helmets is certain. And if it was a good idea, there would be helmets with awesome sounding speakers built in.
In fact, even though traveling at much slower speeds while riding on a regular bicycle, I still don't think it's very wise, to block out the important sense of hearing the traffic and any activity around you. Unless you are riding off road and riding through Stanley Park, or similar places near you. The problem I see with 99% of all accidents, is that they're usually caused by the other guy, not us. So We must be aware of Our surroundings at all times and all elements that could potentially be dangerous to us. If Only to get out of the way.
By the way, those ear buds that you mentioned above, are extremely good, and will serve you very well... Enjoy 'em!!
But not to drown out "traffic noise" as you call it... ;-)

For $1,500 installed, that speaker system seems like a steal of a deal too, with its marine speakers and all. Yes, it is a lot of money, for what you're buying, but nothing in comparison, to staying alive, to ride another season...
If you can ride, while wearing your earbuds, and hear your friends voice talking in a normal voice, then you should be ok. But keep the volume low. And be checking both of those rear view mirrors constantly.
Ride safe, and long.
Happy trails friend.

Chas

·
Registered
114 Posts
Riders Guide rules & regulations

Mentioning Bluetooth headphones that accept phone calls, tunes or listening to Siri!
After reading this over a few times, I thought I would share it as this is clearly defined in the Alberta Riders Guide and doesn't need better explanation.

Cell phones and other distractions
Cell phones can take your attention away from the complex task of riding. Do not receive or make a cell phone call, or read or text a message while riding.
Stop at a safe location at the side of the road to use a cell phone, including a hands-free phone or to groom, listen to music, eat or drink. Two-way radios and global positioning systems (GPS) are also distractions.

While all forms of distracted riding can be hazardous, the Traffic Safety Act includes fines for certain distractions. These include using a hand held cell phone, texting or e-mailing, using electronic devices such as laptop computers, video games, cameras, video entertainment displays, and programming portable audio players, entering information on GPS units, reading printed material, writing, printing or sketching, and personal grooming.

Pretty much common sense, but it's also nice to have it in defined terms.

Ride safe...

Chas

·
Registered
114 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts