Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so many posts on the other one thought I would start new..

Was talking to the tech who built my bike about the stalling he said that the main issue was the bike is designed to run lean to try and improve gas mileage, because the bike is so big. BRP decided to run it lean instead of fixing the design. He also said there is sooo many sensors inside the engine, that when it is hot (for the most part), the computer spends so much time on keeping the engine lean it "forgets" to keep it running.
He said when he has replaced plugs they are white at the tip instead of being a golden color.
He also said all it really needs is to "fattened out a tiny bit". Since I only have 1600k on it he said just to keep an eye on it.
BUT he also suggested getting one of those " high performance modules" but don't spend the big bucks of the "performance side" but just use it to give it just a tiny bit more gas, which he figures would cure most of the stalling issues, but cost a bit more in gas..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not a mechanic, but I don't think a lean motor would cause spark plugs to
go bad. More likely, in my experience, is when a motor is too rich and the plugs get gummed up.

Must be something going on tho, based on all the reports of folks having to get the plugs changed. In most of todays modern motors with electronic ignition, plugs last just about forever.

Maybe someone with mechanical knowledge will weigh in on the Can Am spark plug issue.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he told me not that they go bad by gumming up is that since they are so lean instead of staying a nice golden color they turn white from the heat..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whoops, I misread your msg thinking he was saying because it ran lean it caused plugs to need replacing, but he only said the white plugs are indications of lean running.........

A case of reading too fast for my own good! :eek:

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol

no worries

since I am old I need to read things a few times before they sink in..

but so far no stalls and seems to run much quieter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts