Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the new RT limited and just love it. Having issues when sitting in traffic or stop lights, if the fan comes on the engine stalls. Starts up right away but people behind you try to drive over you when light changes.
Have been keeping idle up at lights now to avoid the stalling. Any fixes for this?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to the dealer today, two fault codes for sensors for temperature. Only cleared codes will wait till next week whenI bring it in for 500 mile service to search for problem. Happened again as soon as I left the dealership.

· Registered
2 Posts
Idle stalling

Just had my 2011 RTs in for the 600 mile service and told the tech that I have had the problem ocassionally of stalling when at a idle. He informed me that there will be a software update due out this month that will take care of this problem. Right now using higher ocatane gas and have not had the problem.

· Registered
16 Posts
Engine stalling on RTS SE5

We have the new RT limited and just love it. Having issues when sitting in traffic or stop lights, if the fan comes on the engine stalls. Starts up right away but people behind you try to drive over you when light changes.
Have been keeping idle up at lights now to avoid the stalling. Any fixes for this?
It was very interesting to read this. I just got my new 2011 RTS-SE5 and put about 40 miles on it today. It DID stall out once at a light. I guess it's time for a fix at the dealer. I will call them tomorrow and ask them about the fix for this. Other then that, everything is fine.

· Registered
18 Posts
Mine did the same thing also within the first 40 miles when I got it last week.
Filled up with 93 octane and has not happened since.

· Super Moderators
2,782 Posts
from what I have been told and read you need the higher octane.

up here in Western Canada we don't seem to have the octane issues you guys in the States do;)

I was told in the city to use a higher octane 91 is what the factory recommends and to use the cheaper stuff on longer rides

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
picked the bike up today not fixed. Being told the problem is in the ECU sensor not properly regulating the fuel. There is supposed to be a software update out this coming week to solve the problem.

· Registered
2 Posts
the Spyder stalls alot

I have an '10 RT with over 8000k's and it stalls in traffic or sitting when cold or hot. Its an SE and when shifting the engine drops to idle (or stalls) then shifts and comes roaring back. IE you get slammed forward then backward while shifting. It's been in and out of the shop for those problems since I bought it.
Called BRP in May and said I want all new computers or a refund. They don't seem to like those solutions.
I'm getting it back from the shop today after 2 weeks. The shop was told by BRP to try this and that and something else then see if that works. The see part involves a 30 mile drive.
I'll get back to update if it works or not.
Meanwhile, anybody else with the same probs??

· Registered
571 Posts
My 2011 RT Limited has only stalled once. That was due to operator error (I accidently hit the kill switch). I picked it up brand new out of the crate May 21st. Living in Phoenix, the radiator fan comes on pretty much at every signal during the summer.

I always run 91 octane. If you run lower octane, the engine will "learn" how to run with it and de-tune itself. That may be one of the causes of stalling at signals, but I'm no expert.

· Registered
5 Posts
Well, this is depressing! I have an old model (2008, but very low miles) with tons of stalling issues (at a stop light, while driving, idling, while it's warming up, etc..). It is very scary for me when i'm in the city or in a spot where someone is right behind me. I love driving the Can Am itself but I do not trust my bike. I decided 2 days ago to upgrade to a new model after the Holiday week-end thinking that the new ones have got to be better or have some of the problems solved. I'm kind of discouraged now :(. I also use and have always used the high Octane fuel.
Problems I've had: Horrific squealing brakes, stalling, while driving it sounds like the engine is running high or needs to breath(?), code errors (vss mostly), and bogging feeling. With the price of the new ones (and older ones), you would think that they would be running great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.