Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have just purchased a 2008 spyder i have very squeeky brakes.
i have spoke to the dealer and he has said it is very common with the spyder's.
Has anyone else had this problem and what could be done to stop this.
i can get another type of brake pad for it but no warrenty.
:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2009.. Dealer told me that if the rear brake starts squeaking ti apply the parking brake (1 or 2 clicks) an drive it 4 or 5 hundred feet.. They said that they get a build up on them causeig them to squeak.. Mine started yesterday and I done what they said an it stopped... Good luck with yours...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've got an '08 as well and have the squeaky brakes as well. Will also try the parking brake to fix. Will be nice to get rid of that annoyance!

·
Registered
504 Posts
On another thread there was talk of third generation brake pads. I called my local dealer and they ordered them in and it is covered under warrenty. My spyder is up there as I write this. The new pads are not supposed to squeek.

·
Registered
504 Posts
One thing on applying the parking brake is that it only is applied to the back disk. My brakes squeeked on the front disks as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the hints but it is in the front brakes mainly. And the dealer told me the brakes were fine about 1500 km ago. but cant see the harm in trying the park brake hint. it is just imbarrising when you pull up at an intersection.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me again

Have you ever noticed on the adds and photo's of the spyder in the promotional books that they have all 4 front lights on but we cant do it
it looks so good as well they have tricked it so the low and high beam are on at the same time unless they are holding the pass light button for the shots ????

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would check with your dealer with respect to the squeeky brakes. Mine is getting the thid generation brakes and is covered under warrenty.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have my Spyder back with it's 3rd generation brake pads on and all I can say is wow what a difference. Very smooth and no noise what so ever. This is how they should have been out of the box in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would check with your dealer with respect to the squeeky brakes. Mine is getting the thid generation brakes and is covered under warrenty.
Please tell me more about these third generation brake pads I am hearing about. Are they for the rear, front or both?

I recently took my '09 to the dealer for a different rear brake problem. While moving slow in reverse, mine would make an awful noise, much more than a squeak. The bike was two weeks away from being out of the extended warranty. The service adviser told me the rear pads were glazed, but they were wear items and not warrantied.

If there is a service bulletin to refer to, I would like to get my money back.

Thanks, Spyder-sense

·
Registered
504 Posts
On one of the other sites I read about the new pads both front and rear. I was at my dealer and asked the service manager about them as my brakes squeeked a lot. He told me he would call BRP and see if he could get them covered under warrenty. He called me about a week later and said that yes the squeeky brake pads (front/rear) were covered under warrenty and would have me bring the Spyder in when they came in. I don't know about everyone else but my brakes were embarsingly loud. I took it in on Monday and when I got it back couldn't believe the difference. I did pay to re-bleed the brakes, both the CAM-AM and ISCI hand brake systems as a safety measure recomended by my service advisor.

As to the service bulliton or re-call I think that BRP is covering it when people complain but not activelly replacing all the brakes like they did with the DPS units.

I feel very fortunate to have a dealer that goes out of their way to support the Spyder and really follows up when a customer asks questions. I would recomend that anyone with squeeky brakes whos bike is still under warrenty to call their dealer and ask to get their brakes replaced with 3rd gen brakes under warrenty. It's a win win for both the dealer and rider in that the brakes are fantastic for the rider and the dealer makes money on the warrenty work from BRP. The only downside from my perspective is having to break in the brakes again.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
On one of the other sites I read about the new pads both front and rear. I was at my dealer and asked the service manager about them as my brakes squeaked a lot. He told me he would call BRP and see if he could get them covered under warranty. He called me about a week later and said that yes the squeaky brake pads (front/rear) were covered under warranty and would have me bring the Spyder in when they came in. I don't know about everyone else but my brakes were embarrassingly loud. I took it in on Monday and when I got it back couldn't believe the difference. I did pay to re-bleed the brakes, both the CAM-AM and ISCI hand brake systems as a safety measure recommended by my service adviser.

As to the service bulletin or re-call I think that BRP is covering it when people complain but not actively replacing all the brakes like they did with the DPS units.

I feel very fortunate to have a dealer that goes out of their way to support the Spyder and really follows up when a customer asks questions. I would recommend that anyone with squeaky brakes whose bike is still under warranty to call their dealer and ask to get their brakes replaced with 3rd gen brakes under warranty. It's a win win for both the dealer and rider in that the brakes are fantastic for the rider and the dealer makes money on the warranty work from BRP. The only downside from my perspective is having to break in the brakes again.
There is a lot to be said about a good dealer! I'd go ahead and ask the dealer to contact BRP...... If the dealer is not willing to ask, they are likely just "lazy" in my book.

Like my dad always said, "It can't hurt to ask, and by the way it is one of the most important things you can do that won't cost you anything and can save you big."

·
Registered
36 Posts
My local dealer is not as friendly as yours. My loss. When I took the bike in for my SHRIEK in reverse and they told me it was the pads and the repair would be $160, I told them to please just order in the pads($45) which I paid for. When I went to pick up the bike, they installed the pads and tried to charge me for the labor. The work order specifically stated that the "owner will install pads". It took 30 minutes, but I got them to remove the labor that I didn't authorize. All is good now. No more noise.

I will accept my replacement brakes at cost and not spend another precious 30 minutes trying to get them to cover the pads under unofficial warranty.

The dealer is Ride Now Powersports and they suck ass.

Spyder-sense

·
Registered
504 Posts
What year is your spyder? If it was still under warrenty it should have been covered no questions asked. I would say that yes your dealer SUCKS

1 - 20 of 34 Posts