Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! First post here....I am thinking about picking up a Spyder. Living in the DC area, I find that I dont ride as much as I would like because of traffic. The constant stopping and going is just exhausting and really takes the fun out of riding...so I have been considering the spyder. It wouldn't fix traffic, but beats having to go thru the dance of feet down, feet up, feet down, feet up.

But I am about 6'4" with a 34-36" inseam. Are there any tall riders here that can chime in on the comfort of the Spyder? Any mods that can be done to stretch things out?

I currently have a V-star 650, and did some mods that pushed the boards out and pushed the seat back so I am comfortable. So wondering if the same is possible with the Spyder.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Commuting in DC

Hey guys! First post here....I am thinking about picking up a Spyder. Living in the DC area, I find that I dont ride as much as I would like because of traffic. The constant stopping and going is just exhausting and really takes the fun out of riding...so I have been considering the spyder. It wouldn't fix traffic, but beats having to go thru the dance of feet down, feet up, feet down, feet up.

But I am about 6'4" with a 34-36" inseam. Are there any tall riders here that can chime in on the comfort of the Spyder? Any mods that can be done to stretch things out?

I currently have a V-star 650, and did some mods that pushed the boards out and pushed the seat back so I am comfortable. So wondering if the same is possible with the Spyder.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

I purchased a 2008 Spyder over the Labor Day weekend because parking in the District is ridiculous. I wanted a bike that could be "seen" by other vehicles on the road, and keep my feet up as well. I'm 6'5" and have a 34" inseam. Two things you might need to correct your riding posture: A riser block to raise the handlebars (mine came with a 1") and there are extentions you can add to raise the grips (the name escapes me) about 3". This setup will allow you to ride in a more upright position and be more comfortable. I'm considering adding some highway pegs, but I'm having a saddle built first. My butt falls asleep after about 40 miles, so I'll send my extra seat off to have it custom made (read Bill or Rick Mayer). It won't be cheap, but it will be joyful to sit on.
OK, enough ranting. The bike does very well in the rain and commutes nicely.

Best of Luck!

Chris.

·
Registered
33 Posts
tall

Hello, welcome to the Spyder community. I bought a 2010 RT-S Se5. I am about your same dimensions. I find that, with the windshield fully up, I am looking just over the top of the windshield. This is just where I like it to be.
Unfortunatly I have had lots of mechanical issues, which should be getting fixed, but no wind problems. The extra plastic wing-like pieces they added give great overall wind protection. It is the best motorcycle- like vehical I have ever owned.

Good luck, hope the Spyder does well for you
ed mcmillan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the responses...good to know that tall people can fit (with a bit of work). Hoping to hit up my local dealer in a few weeks to get on one, see if I can maybe do a test ride.

Think there would be some good deals on one in December? Know I wouldnt be able to ride, but thinking if I could get them at the end of the year, trying to clear out old stuff, and making end of the year quotas, I might be able to get a good deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are a couple of Spyders on CL. If the owner is willing to take it to the dealer to have them look it over (at your expense), it may be worth your while. I had the owner fill out the bill of sale and I gave her a check after the mechanics told me the bike was good to go. Drove it home that day.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I have been poking around on CL. Actually hoping to take a test ride on Friday. Taking my bike in for an oil change (I know I should do it on my own, but I have so many house projects going on right now, I will pay to get it done and check one more thing off my list). They are doing test rides at the dealership, so hopefully it works out that I can get on one. Wish me luck. Also, if things do eventually work out, I will def want to talk more about the kind of seat you are having made.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey, thais0n.

I'm 6'2" and most of my height is in my legs. I love my RS and I've just put over 600 miles on her in two days (to break her in) with the stock handlebars but with the Can-Am "comfort seat" (which I strongly recommend).

I read in the manual (yep, I'm one of those strange manual readers!) that you need to keep your back straight while riding (I think they referred to it as "Riding Posture") and I did that and managed well enough both days, although by the end of the first day, my wrists were sore from supporting my upper body weight. My left knee (which is sore and stiff all the time anyway) didn't even hurt until the end of the day, so long as I concentrated on keeping my legs relaxed.

But I have just ordered 4-1/2" risers for the handlebar and am looking forward to being able to sit upright and reducing the stress on my knees by being able to sit further back on the seat.

I bought my risers for $130 from...
Can Am Spyder Footpegs, Grips and Accessories

They have numerous other cool and functional accessories made specifically for the Spyder. I also bought mirror extensions and the custom throttle-lock.

Their claim to fame is that they manufacture quality components (for reasonable prices, considering) and you use stock components so you don't have to fiddle with cables, wires, etc., other than to just remove and replace zip ties.

You might give them a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts