Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, know this 'refusing to start' problem well. My 2009 Se5 has displayed every dumb message and flashed every red light possible in the months I have owned it, but not since I changed my start procedure. My non-starting appears to have been solved by pressing the brake pedal before putting the key in it's switch, then simply following the normal start procedure while the brake pedal remains pressed.

Good luck! They are lots of fun, hey!

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
pressing the brake pedal before putting the key in it's switch, then simply following the normal start procedure while the brake pedal remains pressed.

Good luck! They are lots of fun, hey!
Great idea.
This certainly eliminates forgetting that the brake NEEDS to be pressed......which occasionally is a problem that I still have.
Now to try and establish an new "automatic" routine !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Spyder will not start

I just got my new spyder 08 silver with 1100 miles on it.. Every thing is cool........How-ever some times the spyder won,t start...I push the button on the dash and try to start the bike... No click no nothing...the dash panel resets i reset it a few more times Bike won't start.....after a wile the bike starts?????

Help Please... Thanks....
Hey, I have a 2008. I noted the same issue with the intermittent starting. However I noticed a pattern. If you push the mode button until you are displaying the time at least on mine it will always turn over.
Hope that works for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RT Limited won't start - flickering lights

Hello - I have a 2015 RT Limited, bought new and have 18K miles and the bike would not start this morning. The battery reads 12.7v and when I put a battery tender to it goes off quickly indicating the battery is charged. The terminals have been cleaned and tightened. Added another ground without success with getting the bike to start.

Here is my typical starting procedure: foot on brake, key in and turn, turn kill switch off, wait for dash warning then push the mode on the handlebars to clear. Press start. When I press start .. all goes black and then the lights start flickering like a turn signal (or caution rhythm) for the front headlights, fog lights and dash lights. Gets weaker and weaker with time. The bike would not jump. Tried pressing the mode several times long and short, get flickering lights and or all good but when I push the start button - instant black.

Checked all fuses .. look good, not burnt. Switched the relays. Plan to purchase new relays (for fun) and new battery (although battery seem good at 12.7v).

Any thoughts from more experienced owners? Much appreciated. Tina Tullos

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
Replace battery. The battery is bad.
That is just a guess at this point and may not be true at all.

Seeing what the voltage reads with the ignition switch ON......and then what it reads when the start button is pushed should tell the story about the battery. Those readings need to be taken directly on the battery posts and not on the cable end connections.

Most likely causes:
Bad battery
Bad main battery cable connections......at either end.
Shorted starter
Engine frozen up

More tests are needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem but I simply just slap my key fob a couple of times on the palm of my hand and reattempt and Wa-Lah!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
I have the same problem but I simply just slap my key fob a couple of times on the palm of my hand and reattempt and Wa-Lah!!!!!
You are just fooling yourself.
Next time try slapping yourself in the face a couple of times.
That likely will work just as good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wont start

I'm having a similar issue, fully charged Odesey battery, turn the key, dash lights up does gauge sweep, click the M switch, push starter button, I get one click, then the gauges reset but no start...... sounds like starter bendix partially engages, but no start .....

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
I'm having a similar issue, fully charged Odesey battery, turn the key, dash lights up does gauge sweep, click the M switch, push starter button, I get one click, then the gauges reset but no start...... sounds like starter bendix partially engages, but no start .....
SO.....at that point, you need to have a voltmeter at the ready.....and leave the ignition switch ON and start checking voltages at the battery posts. Might need to watch the voltage as you try to start again.
Just because a battery is "fully charged" doesn't necessarily mean that it is healthy.....even if it is brand new.

You don't have the current capacity to run the starter, because of a battery that has gone bad and won't supply the necessary current OR you have a bad main battery cable end that is loose or corroded. Much less likely is a shorted solenoid or starter motor or liquid in a cylinder causing the engine to be locked up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
typically the main relay #2 goes bad. this will not let the dash illuminate though. i have seen the ignition switch and antenna go bad aswell. that usually shows "bad key" on the gauge though. next time you have that issue swap the relay with another one in the fuse box and see if it goes away. i am a spyder tech and have seen a lot of different issues. if you have any questions, send me a message.
I have this problem I believe. Where can I get the relay #2 and is in the fuse panel?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts