Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Sunday was a day to make the mods to the car hauler to make trailering the pair of F3S bikes. I recommend the pictured Erickson Wheel Chock's to accomplish this with minimal effort install and safety/security of the Spyder's. These can be purchased online or at Rural King if you have one near. I have used them in the past for side-by-sides and ATV's.

They will work as designed with the straps slung over the tire and secured into the slots (I failed to show the straps) but they have a ratchet that will work with the front fender. The rear tire will not work as there is no clearance to access a ratchet along with the strap. I have zero concern the rear would step out for enough to matter (if at all), this is similar to how they strap cars down on car haulers. Very secure in my mind.

Anyway, for what its worth here is how they sit on the trailer in the chock's. I will get additional pictures when I have the straps on, in the mean time I borrowed a pic from another site to show how the Spyder wheel is strapped.

Those who wonder why we would trailer them, trips with dogs require the truck and when its service time I need to get them both to the dealer at the same time for what I hope to be same day service.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Wood

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you going to attach a strap to the REAR wheel ??
The rear creates a challenge because there is no clear way to get the strap around the tire with this chalk/ratchet system (its a clearance issue with the ratchet portion), I do have D-rings on the trailer that can still strap the rear if needed. Softstrap through the frame and quick release strap to the D-rings. Hate putting anything on the wheels but the rear is not as highly visible as the front.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
Go through the wheel like BRP recommends.
Trust me, NOBODY will notice a few scuff marks caused by a nylon strap, maybe not even you.
You should NOT anchor to any part of the suspension or frame parts above the suspension.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go through the wheel like BRP recommends.
Trust me, NOBODY will notice a few scuff marks caused by a nylon strap, maybe not even you.
You should NOT anchor to any part of the suspension or frame parts above the suspension.
Agree whole heartedly, anything above the suspension leads to loose or broken straps. The rear does not bother me as bad again because it is hidden away pretty good. The fronts in the chalk and nylon straps is very secure, used them a lot with the side by side. Soft straps are a good way to protect the wheels. Good info/reminder, appreciate it.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
I cut the toe out of an old sock and run the strap thru and hook to the short frame braces on either side of the shock. Works perfect. Zero scratches.
Hooking to ANY body or suspension part ABOVE the suspension is NOT a good thing to do.
The action of the suspension while moving will cause the strap to jerk and move around and eventually come loose.
BAD IDEA. It does NOT "work perfectly".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts