Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with trailering their Spyder on a flatbed. A few friends and I are talking about driving trucks with trailers about 1500 miles and then riding for a couple of weeks. Our only option for the Spyders would be to take them on a flatbed trailer.

Question #1
I know that many people advise to not cover a Spyder on a flatbed, but I would think that the Can-Am Trailering Cover should be able to offer some protection on the drive. So, I wondering what you all think.

Question #2
I have a 2022 RT Limited. If you look at covers on the Can-Am site, the Trailering Cover for 2020 and above looks like it would only fit a Spyder without the top box. Their description says: Fits both the Standard and Limited editions models and accommodates all Can-Am accessories! Here's a link to that page. Does anyone have one of these covers? Does it expand to fit over a Limited top box?

Thanks,
John

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
IF.....you have two weeks to spend......I would be RIDING there and not towing.
1500 miles should be doable in about 3 days.

But if I were to open haul a Spyder, I wouldn't cover it at all but take a cover with me to use if you encounter bad weather.
Stop and put a half cover on it until the rain passes. Do NOT tow it backwards.

· Registered
99 Posts
If you don’t have a trailer, would recommend renting an enclosed unit. This way the bike doesn’t get beat up by the weather and crap thrown up by the truck. Plus it will be safe and stay clean in the trailer at night. Have a great trip and post back with some pictures.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
Why is your "only option" an open flat bed ???
An enclosed trailer really is much better.
And you can carry other "stuff" in there too without worrying about wind and weather damage.

If you buy a good used trailer and keep it for a few years AND take good care of it,
you might be able to sell it for close to what you paid.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the trailering cover from Can Am for my 2022 RT limited with the trunk fits great it has a padded end that goes over windscreen it. Also two adjustable side straps and two elastic adjustable tie downs that hook to rear fender if worried about scratching trunk just put a big bath towel over it before using the cover. I use it as a travel cover and driveway cover. I also have a Can Am storage cover for when it might get parked for more than two days.

· Registered
1 Posts
It will be hard to keep the cover in place while traveling at speeds above 20mph. It will scratch up the paint plus screen.

All the ones I know of are not designed to work while traveling highway speeds.

good luck if ya do.

· Premium Member
20 Posts
A member posted on the other forum I'm on. Quote: "Just food for thought: It doesn't get covered to protect it from the elements while you are riding it, why then would you cover it on an open trailer? Being exposed to the elements is no harsher when trailering than when riding."

· Registered
2017 Polaris Rzr EPS 570 SXS
37 Posts
As noted above you never want to put any type of cover on a bike, car, ATV/UTV etc. that is going to be towed outside on an open trailer as the wind flapping and slapping that cover will quickly damage the finish. There are so many good reasons to use a cargo/enclosed trailer. I have been towing my 2017 Spyder RT, Rzr SXS and before those different motorcycles in my 6 X 10' {8' tall} cargo trailer for several years. As you can see the Spyder fits and still leaves lots of room for other gear:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

I bolted the 2 X 4 to the floor of the trailer, to load I just drive in until the front wheels reach the 2 X 6 that stretches across the front of the trailer {directly below the 2 X 6 that supports the storage shelf} then insert the large rubber chock to the rear wheel and the Spyder is secure for travel. I did have to move the cable anchors to the outside edge of the load ramp to give me enough clearance for the front wheels of the Spyder and yes, it is still tight but fits none the less.

Wood Slope Beige Automotive tire Landscape

The cargo trailer is for all intents and purposes a private garage that follows the tow vehicle like a faithful puppy. Weather cannot get to it and bad guys cannot even see it. The trailer weighs 1,200# and around 2,200# before I start loading additional gear. I tow with either our 24' Class C motorhome or my Honda Ridgeline both of which are rated to tow 5,000# so no issues there.

This shot was taken at Big Lake in the eastern White mountains of Arizona at 9,200'. We had just returned from riding the Devils Highway with 1,100 curves in 95 miles making it arguably the greatest motorcycle road in America {we were celebrating our 50th anniversary}. Works for me!
Cloud Sky Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

:cool:

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
Being exposed to the elements is no harsher when trailering than when riding."
Generally true.
IF you are mindful of situations where it might NOT be true.
Like heavy rain, which will be even heavier behind a tow vehicle.
Loose rocks or other "muck" on the road, which the tow vehicle will magnify with it's 4 tires.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with trailering their Spyder on a flatbed. A few friends and I are talking about driving trucks with trailers about 1500 miles and then riding for a couple of weeks. Our only option for the Spyders would be to take them on a flatbed trailer.

Question #1
I know that many people advise to not cover a Spyder on a flatbed, but I would think that the Can-Am Trailering Cover should be able to offer some protection on the drive. So, I wondering what you all think.

Question #2
I have a 2022 RT Limited. If you look at covers on the Can-Am site, the Trailering Cover for 2020 and above looks like it would only fit a Spyder without the top box. Their description says: Fits both the Standard and Limited editions models and accommodates all Can-Am accessories! Here's a link to that page. Does anyone have one of these covers? Does it expand to fit over a Limited top box?

Thanks,
John
We trailered our 2019 Rt 800 mi with Can Am trailer cover and it was excellent - tarped our sxs on the same flatbed and it got tarp rash but a bit of elbow grease fixes that!
Just be sure you capture the wheels properly so u don’t have any movement!

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2020 Spyder RT Limited, an OHT3 trailer from Ultimate Trailers and a trailering cover that I purchased in 2020 from Can Am. The cover fits fine over the top case. First time, towed the covered Spyder 3000 miles behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The cover fit fairly tightly and hardly flopped in 70 mph speeds. Didn't notice any marring of the Spyder. Next time, towed it uncovered 3350 miles behind a Newmar motorhome. Rained a couple times. Yes, it got dirty. No problem. Washed it after arriving at my destination. The trailer has a rock guard which works great at preventing rocks and debris from reaching the Spyder. A rock guard of some sort on your trailer will help, but I'd say you can't go wrong either covered or uncovered. For me it did well uncovered, so that's how I'll tow it from now on.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
, but I'd say you can't go wrong either covered or uncovered.
That's kind of an odd thing to say.......because you CAN go wrong either way.
It is a matter of luck and fate.

Based on answers to questions like this, I think that you are more likely to have a bad experience when covered.
If you care about scuffed paint especially.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts