CanamSpyderForums.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother in law bought a Spyder and recently changed exhausts to a BRP performance exhaust by Hindle. Now, it misses quite often in the low rpm range. The stealer said it didn't need a tune. I have a modded C6 Corvette and Harley and after learning what is needed when changing pipes, I think they are wrong. Is this a tune issue or do I have other issues. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take it to the dealer and get the updates done. They have one specifically for this issue. Mine was doing it and the update fixed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take it to the dealer and get the updates done. They have one specifically for this issue. Mine was doing it and the update fixed it.
Just got mine home a week ago from the dealer, took my twin granddaughters for a short ride around the block. Tried to keep it at idle in first gear as they are only 5 yr's old. Kept loading up like it was going to quit and die on me. Had to increase the rpms to get it to quit, is the update specifically for this and why wouldn't the dealer have applied any updates before delivery? Just curious. What do I tell them when I go in for the 600 mi inspection? Do I need to ask them to do all updates? What do you all think?

Gaylord aka Norm

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Spyder is the RT-S SM5
First of all...nice ryde!!:D

From reading other forums for a while now that spoke specifically about the RT SM5 the first guess is a software update "may" help. All depends on if the update has already been loaded of course. At your 600 mile dealer check, for the amount of money your spending make sure you ask them to check if your ryde has all the updates. I would also have a discussion with them about your concerns. Any reputable dealer (not all are) would listen to what you have to say and make it right. If it turns out you have the latest upgrades (not a given...see below) then during your conversation about the performance at low RPM's it may trigger the mechanic to look just a little closer...maybe there's an issue with the spark plug wires or even fouled plugs but that would be rare I'd think..

I bought my 2009 RS of the showroom floor about a month ago and 2 weeks later when I took it in for the first Spyder lobotomy...er check up I didn't even have to mention these things. The mechanics checked without my having to say anything and it was updated with the latest software per the specks. That showed me two things...they are very thorough and want my business.

With an RT-S are you using the higher octane? I've heard you can use both low and high octane but the RT's like the higher in general. Also...any Ethenol in the gas? Pure 100% gas (if you can find a station with it) seems to make the Spyders run better.

Bottom line..take your 600 mile dealer tune-up as a golden opportunity to ask TONS of questions! :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
First of all...nice ryde!!:D

From reading other forums for a while now that spoke specifically about the RT SM5 the first guess is a software update "may" help. All depends on if the update has already been loaded of course. At your 600 mile dealer check, for the amount of money your spending make sure you ask them to check if your ryde has all the updates. I would also have a discussion with them about your concerns. Any reputable dealer (not all are) would listen to what you have to say and make it right. If it turns out you have the latest upgrades (not a given...see below) then during your conversation about the performance at low RPM's it may trigger the mechanic to look just a little closer...maybe there's an issue with the spark plug wires or even fouled plugs but that would be rare I'd think..

I bought my 2009 RS of the showroom floor about a month ago and 2 weeks later when I took it in for the first Spyder lobotomy...er check up I didn't even have to mention these things. The mechanics checked without my having to say anything and it was updated with the latest software per the specks. That showed me two things...they are very thorough and want my business.

With an RT-S are you using the higher octane? I've heard you can use both low and high octane but the RT's like the higher in general. Also...any Ethenol in the gas? Pure 100% gas (if you can find a station with it) seems to make the Spyders run better.

Bottom line..take your 600 mile dealer tune-up as a golden opportunity to ask TONS of questions! :cool:
Good Advice, I take it in Monday for the 600 mile check and will ask them to do a check for any software updates it might need. Interesting you mentioned the fuel I live in an area where we have mostly E-10 fuel which is 89 to 90 octane. I am gong to take a 400 mi trip this weekend and I'll run out the 89 ethanol I put in it when I last filled and look for a ethanol free 91 or better octane gas to fill with. I agree with you that they should have done the updates before I took the bike off the floor, but I also know some dealers wouldn't think of checking or updating before the bike leaves their business. I will be sure to ask them when I go Monday.

Thanks again for the advice.

Gaylord aka Norm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got mine home a week ago from the dealer, took my twin granddaughters for a short ride around the block. Tried to keep it at idle in first gear as they are only 5 yr's old. Kept loading up like it was going to quit and die on me. Had to increase the rpms to get it to quit, is the update specifically for this and why wouldn't the dealer have applied any updates before delivery? Just curious. What do I tell them when I go in for the 600 mi inspection? Do I need to ask them to do all updates? What do you all think?

Gaylord aka Norm
Weird.... same thing just happened to me about half an hour ago (the 2010 RS-SE5)..... it kept stuttering when going thru town slowly between traffic lights. finally had to stop for a red light and the thing just quit.... thankfully it started right back up, but it's never done this before.

Yep, it's going in for 600 mile check up next week (at 900+ miles)
So I'll be interested to hear what your findings are......

Cat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good Advice, I take it in Monday for the 600 mile check and will ask them to do a check for any software updates it might need. Interesting you mentioned the fuel I live in an area where we have mostly E-10 fuel which is 89 to 90 octane. I am gong to take a 400 mi trip this weekend and I'll run out the 89 ethanol I put in it when I last filled and look for a ethanol free 91 or better octane gas to fill with. I agree with you that they should have done the updates before I took the bike off the floor, but I also know some dealers wouldn't think of checking or updating before the bike leaves their business. I will be sure to ask them when I go Monday.

Thanks again for the advice.

Gaylord aka Norm
You're Welcome. One more thing...besides asking if there was any error codes in the BUDS readout...see if they will give you a printout. Some do..some don't have a printer hooked up the the laptop. It's a nice thing to have as additional proof of sticking to the warranty requirements. Also, for a historical benchmark.

Enjoy the ryde!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i know when i put on mine in the directions it said to start it up and let it idle for 15min and the ECU would adjust itself. do you know if she did this??

also they was a recall or service bulletin for the bike in regards to something you are describing so it could be that.

i have the BRP Hindle on mine and it runs perfect

so ask her if she did the 15 min idle and also if she has been in for the recall etc

MJK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, got the 600 mi service and check. I was a bit surprised that it took over 3.5 hr from the time they put it in the service booth to the time I got to get back on and ride. First off they did do a BUDS update at my request, also the dealer had his best mechanic check out everything he could think of that might cause the sputtering. I must say that after they did the BUDS update the bike seems to be running much more smoothly at low rpms. I also changed from running ethonol in the gas I use to fill up with. Not sure if it is that or the update or a combination of both. Thanks for the advice from everyone.

Gaylord aka Norm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts