Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked this question to different techs on the Rotax motor getting different answers.
Drove home my 2011 Spyder RT from the dealer 56 miles. Pulled in my garage and checked the oil level by the book. Found it was over filled. Some one at the dealer in prep added oil to the full mark in a cold engine. I drew off 10 oz to get it down to the cold check level. Any damage done?

The answers I got:
1. it runs hotter when over filled.
2 its not good to the rods.
3 Scores the cylinder walls.
4 causes frothing/bubbles in the oil tank

It does run cooler after I drew off the excess. What about the others

· Registered
303 Posts
I have asked this question to different techs on the Rotax motor getting different answers.
Drove home my 2011 Spyder RT from the dealer 56 miles. Pulled in my garage and checked the oil level by the book. Found it was over filled. Some one at the dealer in prep added oil to the full mark in a cold engine. I drew off 10 oz to get it down to the cold check level. Any damage done?

The answers I got:
1. it runs hotter when over filled.
2 its not good to the rods.
3 Scores the cylinder walls.
4 causes frothing/bubbles in the oil tank

It does run cooler after I drew off the excess. What about the others
I have the GS/RS version but you should check out the intake filter box. This is where the extra oil goes when it is overfilled.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
overfill

Thanks Jeff I will check that box. and filter.. Since I drew down the oil level I have driven it another 100 miles and Haven't noticed any changes in the performance of the motor. No smoke no rapping sounds. Motor is smooth running as before. But the gas mileage went up a little. Nearing the 600 mile checkup and leery about have these guys do it. It includes an oil change and filter.

· Registered
65 Posts
From personal experience it does cause bubbles and frothing in the oil because of the way BuRP designed the oil tank return. It does have a tendency to make it run hotter too. The other stuff I have no idea but I know when you overfill a normal vehicle it does make for excess internal crankcase pressures which is not a good condition. Bill

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oil overfill

Thanks zeebill. It only ran about 59 miles berfore i drew off 10oz. Its at 400 running smoother and seems to have picked up on power and gas mileage.

The most important is to inform other owners or future owners that it can happen,

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2700 mile follow up.

Now that I've hit the mileage I wanted to get to.

During the past 2000 miles I have seen significant improvement in smoothness and performance.
I have done some oil checks to veryify the hot and cold procedure found in the owners manual and the cold check indication of half way seems accurate for a quick check before a morning ride. My dealer said no.

The oil in it now is the BRP summer grade. Would expansion coefficients be different for synthetics or semi-synthetics?
The motor runs so smooth now it's sounding like a smooth deep rumbling OHC 4. And No oil loss so far :)

· Registered
8 Posts
Rode our new RT-S home a few weeks ago, the long route (about 180 miles). Next day I checked the oil, filled to the top just to the bottom of the threads on the tank! Sucked out almost a quart to get it to the right level. I think there are too many inexperienced "Tech's" that assemble these bikes. I have been working on bikes for 30+ years and just can't bring myself to trust anyone to work on mine, will be doing as much of the service work as possible.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
There are some VERY specific instructions in the manual regarding checking oil levels and filling the tank with the proper amount... :eek:

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
paridgerunner: Glad you remembered to check it like I did. I'm doing the oil changes myself. Not only for the overfill reason but the additional labor cost. And I'm searching for synthetic blends that meet the required oil codes. summer blend around here and on E-bay is over ten a quart.

· Registered
303 Posts
paridgerunner, did you ever check your airbox? A rider in my area had his oil changed by our dealer :eek: and it was overfilled. The oil ended up in the airbox then ran all over the engine :mad:.

· Registered
8 Posts
Haven't opened the airbox yet but no sign of oil dripping anywhere. Got about 600 miles on now, just did the first oil change. Have to remove the side panels again in about a week to install some cruise pegs, will check airbox then if not before. Thanks for the heads up.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
paridgerunner!! That sounds like a lot of oil. I would check the air box as jeff said. I checked mine on his advice and it just had a light spotty residue. My over fill was to the fill mark in a cold engine. Yours was way more than I had in mine.

· Registered
47 Posts
A good idea from another Spyder site. Check your oil level when hot as the book says and it has been recently filled correctly. THEN, when cold, get a wooden dowl from Home Depot or Lowes, stick it in the cold oil, wipe it off and mark the level with a permanent marker. The next time, with a cold engine, you can tell if you need topping off.

This way, you can check your oil level without heating up your engine and it is a little cooler on your fingers...If your tech is overfilling your unit, you need to make the service manager or owner aware of this poor maintenance practice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.