Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if I am not approaching this forum appropriately. This is the first time that I have ever posted a question. I purchased a 2022 rt limited. I love it, and it is awesome. I have over 5000 miles on it since I bought it, in August of 2022, and I can't seem to find an answer to my dilemma. This is the issue. The ride is comfortable for me, however, my passenger (my beloved wife with whom I am well pleased) is feeling every time the bike hits a bump. She is only 101 pounds and I doubt that the shock even registers her weight, having said that, has anyone had this issue? when I called BRP, they said, of course, that there is no manual adjustment on the rt limited and that there are no other shocks but the stock shocks. I know enough to know that Elka does make shocks for the rt limited but I don't know if 1-that would solve the issue, 2-the shock fits the 2022 model (because they are advertised for 2021), and 3- what may be the downside of changing from an automatic air suspension system to a hydraulic Elka.

If anyone has any insight I could sure use some about now. I can be reached directly at [email protected] Since, as I said above, this is the first time on a forum for me, I don't know how I could get a response.

Thank you anyway for your insight, thoughts, and help ahead of time.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I also have a 2022 RT Limited and this behavior is not normal.

To the best of my knowledge, 2 things could be at stake:
- Shock absorbers (I had a 2011 RT Limited) and at one point I had the same problem. It was the rear shock absorber that had lost power due to a leak (I also noticed that there were some oil drips on the garage floor) -> Resolution: I bought shock absorbers from MShock (they make them to order even taking into account the weight of the driver and passenger and even the color) contact them and ask (Shock Factory)
- "air cushion" - may not be working properly and then it has to be with a dealer

PS: I'm from Europe

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
First you need to find out for sure that the air assist for the rear spring is working.
Many are delivered brand new where it is NOT working at all for various reasons.

Then also check the air in the rear tire against the recommendation.
Too much air in the tire might cause that too.

NOTE: The number molded into the sidewall of the tire is NOT the recommended pressure.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
First you need to find out for sure that the air assist for the rear spring is working.
Many are delivered brand new where it is NOT working at all for various reasons.

Then also check the air in the rear tire against the recommendation.
Too much air in the tire might cause that too.

NOTE: The number molded into the sidewall of the tire is NOT the recommended pressure.
I have already taken the bike to the dealer and they looked at it telling me that the air bag as well as the shock are in working order. thank you for our help.

· Registered
89 Posts
tommy -- ER is correct. The good news is the ACS is not properly installed. The bad news is often the technicians do not properly install the spacers at the bottom of the shock asorber which leads to a number of problems including suspension damage. Return your Spyder to the dealer for correction immediately.

First familiarize yourself with this diagram so you are properly informed when your dealer tries to slide out of correcting the problem 2022 Can-Am RT LIMITED - Chrome Edition - Carbon Black Suspension - Rear Shock | BRP Parts: Can-Am, Sea-Doo, and Ski-Doo

Best wishes.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
I have already taken the bike to the dealer and they looked at it telling me that the air bag as well as the shock are in working order. thank you for our help.
Well then it pretty much IS what it IS.
The passenger seat doesn't have a lot of padding. A seat cushion might help.

I do NOT think that trying to modify the rear suspension to fix this "problem" would be a good idea.
Have you tried riding in the back position ??

And finally, I'm not sure I would trust that first dealers story.
If there is another one close by you might want to get a second opinion.
And tell them WHY you are concerned.

· Registered
89 Posts
tommy -- I'm going to assume you have carefully examined the parts diagram I linked to and have carefully read your operator's manual. With that completed let's do some fault isolation.

First test is to allow all air to escape from the air valve (item 205). Then, without sitting on the Spyder, start the engine. Then mount the Spyder. You should hear the compressor (item 210) in operation and the rear suspension should lift. Then have your wife join you on the Spyder. Again you should hear the compressor. Then have your wife step off. You might be able to hear the air pressure manifold (item 360) release air and the suspension will drop back to its previous level. Then you step off. Again the manifold will release air and the suspension will drop. Turn the engine off and record the pressure at the air valve. An hour later record the pressure again. If they differ by more than 3 psi you have a leak.

Another test is to add about 80 psi via the air valve (the air damper item 300a is quite tough but you shouldn't exceed 100 psi as the other items aren't so tough). Then start the engine while mounted. The rear suspension should drop to its riding position. If it doesn't your suspension sensor isn't properly calibrated (a dealer operation using BUDS and several wooden height spacers).

If you observe any anomalies during these two tests you have an ACS problem needing correction.

Finally verify the two spacers (item 1810) are installed as shown in the drawing. Apparently when the Spyders are shipped from the factory the bottom bolt (item 1811) is not installed and must be assembled by the dealer. Sometimes the spacers which apparently are packed separately are not installed which manifests are various problems including suspension damage.

Best wishes.

· Registered
5 Posts
Please forgive me if I am not approaching this forum appropriately. This is the first time that I have ever posted a question. I purchased a 2022 rt limited. I love it, and it is awesome. I have over 5000 miles on it since I bought it, in August of 2022, and I can't seem to find an answer to my dilemma. This is the issue. The ride is comfortable for me, however, my passenger (my beloved wife with whom I am well pleased) is feeling every time the bike hits a bump. She is only 101 pounds and I doubt that the shock even registers her weight, having said that, has anyone had this issue? when I called BRP, they said, of course, that there is no manual adjustment on the rt limited and that there are no other shocks but the stock shocks. I know enough to know that Elka does make shocks for the rt limited but I don't know if 1-that would solve the issue, 2-the shock fits the 2022 model (because they are advertised for 2021), and 3- what may be the downside of changing from an automatic air suspension system to a hydraulic Elka.

If anyone has any insight I could sure use some about now. I can be reached directly at [email protected] Since, as I said above, this is the first time on a forum for me, I don't know how I could get a response.

there is a link that is sometimes left off during the uncreating and assembly that is tied to that system.

See the the discussion around the 5 min mark on this video:

· Registered
2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Tommy, I purchased a Sea To Sky in 2022, which has the same suspension setup as yours. My machine was bottoming out quite often as well. Also night riding about every other car was bright lighting me. Received a "suspension fault" light. Come to find out the sensor arm on the left side of rear spring which controls the compressor was not hooked up. The arm had no bolt and appeared it came that way from the factory. Took it back to the dealer they installed the bolt and calibrated the suspension/compressor based on weight. I cannot begin to tell you how much the handling of this machine has improved along with the ride. I mention this because it seems to be a rather common problem for the bolt to be missing on some of these machines. Easy to check just look from underneath at the spring and make sure the sensor arm is attached top and bottom.

· Registered
51 Posts
I do not have a 2022RT, but from reading your posts, Tommy, IMO, you have a dealership that is sandbagging you rather than attempting to solve the problem. What you should do because your Spyder is under factory warranty is take it to the dealership, reiterate to the service manager the problem you are having with the roadster and tell, don't ask, them to open a case with BRP and solve the problem. Do not accept No for an answer. If the dealership refuses to open a case with BRP you have two choices: #1 send an email to [email protected], tell them exactly what has transpired, including the dealership's adamant refusal to open a case with BRP, and ask BRP to open a case for you and get your problem fixed; #2 find another dealership to service your Spyder.

· Registered
5 Posts
Tommy, I purchased a Sea To Sky in 2022, which has the same suspension setup as yours. My machine was bottoming out quite often as well. Also night riding about every other car was bright lighting me. Received a "suspension fault" light. Come to find out the sensor arm on the left side of rear spring which controls the compressor was not hooked up. The arm had no bolt and appeared it came that way from the factory. Took it back to the dealer they installed the bolt and calibrated the suspension/compressor based on weight. I cannot begin to tell you how much the handling of this machine has improved along with the ride. I mention this because it seems to be a rather common problem for the bolt to be missing on some of these machines. Easy to check just look from underneath at the spring and make sure the sensor arm is attached top and bottom.
I agree with this post and it is what I was referring to. There is an awesome mechanic in the Seattle area that posts many videos every week (and have for years). Such a smart guy and so well informed. His dealership sells more can-ams than any other place and he uncrated and works on many hundreds. He has a video where is specifically talks about this sensor arm getting forgotten (to attach) as part of the initial out of crate assembly. I have nothing vested in his site, I just enjoy it. Maybe if you search you can find the video on it. TheSmoaksVlogs
In case the link did not post correctly , it is thesmoaksvlogs on YouTube.

· Registered
3 Posts
I agree with this post and it is what I was referring to. There is an awesome mechanic in the Seattle area that posts many videos every week (and have for years). Such a smart guy and so well informed. His dealership sells more can-ams than any other place and he uncrated and works on many hundreds. He has a video where is specifically talks about this sensor arm getting forgotten (to attach) as part of the initial out of crate assembly. I have nothing vested in his site, I just enjoy it. Maybe if you search you can find the video on it. TheSmoaksVlogs
In case the link did not post correctly , it is thesmoaksvlogs on YouTube.
What's the name of the dealership and what city? Do you know if they do that laser alignment? Thanks

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
What's the name of the dealership and what city? Do you know if they do that laser alignment? Thanks
Have a look here for a list of dealers who do laser alignment:

Not sure their list has been updated recently though.

A phone call to your nearby dealers might be the best way to find out.

· Registered
3 Posts
Have a look here for a list of dealers who do laser alignment:

Not sure their list has been updated recently though.

A phone call to your nearby dealers might be the best way to find out.
Thanks for the list. It lists a dealer only a couple of hours away. Coincidentally, I sent them an email last week asking them if the did this procedure. Any idea what the charge?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts