Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally had a chance to climb all over an RT today. This is ONE COOL RIDE.

It is a huge difference from previous Spyders, and makes a Gold Wing seem almost toy like. The looks are awesome, it is actually wider then the sport version (A-arms about 1.5 inches longer), and the seat is like a lounge chair. The one I looked at the a Black RTS, so it had buttons and switches galore, for both the the driver and the passenger!

Some of the neat features are the electric adjustable rear suspension, electric emergency brake, and since it has an electronic throttle (no more throttle cable) it had an electronic cruise control.

Cruise Control (ignore that man in the mirror :))

Parking Brake, Seat Warmer, Suspension, and Fog Lights

Misc. plus radio

Pass bum warmer :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
this was my fourth time out on the RTS, first time was for 10 min at the Long Beach, CA. IMS and that's all it took to intrigue my interest in something I had never done before.

After investigating as much as i could i placed a deposit down at DelAmo motorsports in Redondo Beach California. With the deposit they would allow me to practice once they got there demo delivered to them. For the last week in the rear parking lot I put a couple more hours on her.:) But in order to venture out I would need a motorcycle license for their insurance carrier, even though to operate it in this state I do not have to have one. Well I just got licensed after taking a safety course and then testing at the DMV, so today was my fourth time out and I went to a nearby deserted parking lot and practiced for about an hour and a half :D with the different practice maneuvers they have in the manual. (everyone download the owners manual and print it out and read it!) ;)I gotta tell you this is one fine machine they put together.

Very easy to shift and back up in reverse, emergency stop, stopping in the middle of the turn and still working on weaving and crash avoidance techniques. Sometimes with the stereo on blasting sometimes with the helmet face shield up or sun visor down or windshield lowered. I wanna prepare for most everything. They even have you practice shutting her down while moving so you have that sensation under control. The braking is very very controlled like a car.

I also ordered the GPS, the CB/communication system and XM satellite radio. Gonna do this right from the get go. Will get a trailer and hitch later if I go on long trips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The controls to which you referred as "bum warmers" actually control grip warmers, both for the drives & the passenger grips on the side of the saddle. BRP doesn't affer a heated saddle option.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The controls to which you referred as "bum warmers" actually control grip warmers, both for the drives & the passenger grips on the side of the saddle. BRP doesn't offer a heated saddle option.
Thanks for the correction, I'll need to talk to the salesman..... he's the one that "oopsed", and I followed with an "oops" of my own :eek:

I guess heated seats for the RT will be left to Corbin!

·
Registered
20 Posts
1st RTS in East Texas , maybe all of Texas to be Sold

We traded my wifes Goldwing Trike in last week bought first RTS , a dealer in Le Marque Tx. had a demo in box , my wife loves calling tomorrow to get 600 mi. service. She is still getting used to the so much faster handling, she has 90,000mi. on goldwing trikes and says hands down this is Better. Dealer has our trailer now, waiting on a hitch and C.B. to come in now, she will be posting her comments she rides about 25,000 mi. a year so she will be a good judge.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We traded my wifes Goldwing Trike in last week bought first RTS , a dealer in Le Marque Tx. had a demo in box , my wife loves calling tomorrow to get 600 mi. service. She is still getting used to the so much faster handling, she has 90,000mi. on goldwing trikes and says hands down this is Better. Dealer has our trailer now, waiting on a hitch and C.B. to come in now, she will be posting her comments she rides about 25,000 mi. a year so she will be a good judge.
WooHoo great news, good to hear :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a CB, Trailer & hitch ordered. No word yet on when any of it will be in.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is sooooooo awesome, after seeing one of these in person, I have to say Triked out Wings may go the way of the Dodo bird, or they'll get cheaper!

The RTS is waaaaaay better. The dealer said they ride extremely nice... and no wimpy reverse that like like my last Goldwing trike.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
First thoughts New black RTS

Our Hitch is here, appointment to pick up trailer next tuesday, no word on c.b. one note analog fuel guage very bouncy, dealer replacing fuel pump assembly tuesday also. She had 600mi. service done two days ago .Installed Gerbing plug to battery for her heated clothes, her first 750 mi. below freezing. Putting on Kuryakin LED volt meter tomorrow, have had them on several bikes. Ride of RTS no contest SMOKES a Goldwing Trike,she has had a Motor Trike and Champion. Will keep informed, also her RTS required a completely new download ordered from the factory, dont know if this was only because this bike was scheduled as a demo they had not assembled yet, we talked him out of it, they said there were issues with original program that could shut bike down, no sign of it to us, I guess download corrected problem,I would inquire when picking up your new ones. Tommy Landry Tx.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts