Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out here have an RS with the Touring Package. What I am wanting to know is if it makes the RS more comforfatable like the RT. I know it has a riser block for the handle bars. I really love the looks of the RS but the RT seems more comfortable. Please let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Good question!
Unfortunately you just can't easily turn an RS (or GS) into an RT... The full double bucket that the RT gives you for a place to park yourself is simply way more comfortable than even the RS's optional comfort seat.
The seating position is also inherently more "relaxed" on the RT
You also get heated grips and; dependling on the model, a pretty decent stereo.
The windshield is also height-adjustable and you get electronic cruise control and floorboards for your navigator.
Now you can certainly tinker-up an RS with goodies that are pretty similar, but the cost will put you right in the RT ballpark. You might as well buy one of them from the start and save yourself the trouble of all of the tinkering...

Unless you like tinkering! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good question!
Unfortunately you just can't easily turn an RS (or GS) into an RT... The full double bucket that the RT gives you for a place to park yourself is simply way more comfortable than even the RS's optional comfort seat.
The seating position is also inherently more "relaxed" on the RT
You also get heated grips and; dependling on the model, a pretty decent stereo.
The windshield is also height-adjustable and you get electronic cruise control and floorboards for your navigator.
Now you can certainly tinker-up an RS with goodies that are pretty similar, but the cost will put you right in the RT ballpark. You might as well buy one of them from the start and save yourself the trouble of all of the tinkering...

Unless you like tinkering! :D
I agree. If you want comfort go ahead and buy an RT. I personally like the sporty look of the RS and that is what I have. It is nowhere near as comfortable but I am willing to make that sacrifice. Take your pick - sporty or comfortable - you can't have both IMO. David

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well I own a 09 rs se5 with a corbin seat, handlebar riser, ajustable wind shield, sfb floor boards, and soft saddle bags I believe Rs handles a lot better than the RT and looks a lot more sportier and the extras on my bike where about $1250.00. This a much less than and RT.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I went with the RS and after I got done with the tinkering I probably have nearly the investment of an RT however I love my RS. Also at least 1250.00 of that was the hand brake.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
*waves from the RS preferred corner*

I haven't ridden an RT, which is probably just as well, since I have tailbone issues and the way the RS positions the rider keeps me off of my tailbone entirely. I find the seat to be plenty comfortable and really like the look of the RS.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A big chunk of what I spent was building an addition to our garage (like a golf card addition) just to be able to park the the Spyder. So that part would have been the same but after the painter and the concrete guy get done I will have about 5,000.00 just in a dedicated place for the Spyder (heated of course) to rest when not being ridden. What is so cool about all this expense is that my lovely wife is completly behind all of this. She was not nearly as supportive when I went nuts on the surround sound system for my den.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Test road both the RT and RS and felt the RS was much better suited for the role of sports touring machine. Just paid $14K for a new leftover 2010 RS SE5 so saved a ton for options. Purchased the full Corbin package with custom built saddles, trunk box and sidebags. Madstads Robo shield, Hindle exhaust, K&N airfilter, all the air management stuff, Capt Jim's Smooth Spyder pulley, tons of LED light options, swaybar, Garmin GPS, floorboards and other performance mods. Faster, smoother, lighter, better mileage and saved $$$ over an RT. Yeah, had to install it all, but worth it. As someone hinted above, some of us are the Ducati STS group and some are the Electroglide group (owned both). To each his own. Can tell you I'm thrilled with the Spyder. Been riding hacks for 50 years, owned 47 different bikes and the Spyder is my favorite hands down. Sad part of this story is that the bike is my wife's. I'm still riding my '97 HD Heritage with a sidecar, but I look forward to each time I take out her bike and come home grinning from ear-to-ear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an 08 RS with touring windshield, comfort seats and highway pegs. Love it.

What kind of soft saddle bags are you using? I'm interested in getting some.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
A big chunk of what I spent was building an addition to our garage (like a golf card addition) just to be able to park the the Spyder. So that part would have been the same but after the painter and the concrete guy get done I will have about 5,000.00 just in a dedicated place for the Spyder (heated of course) to rest when not being ridden. What is so cool about all this expense is that my lovely wife is completely behind all of this. She was not nearly as supportive when I went nuts on the surround sound system for my den.
LOL, sounds like your wife is a good sport. Any wife that understands "It is not just a garage" is a keeper for sure!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love my 2008 RS (Premier Edition 2646), tricked out for touring. I have the tall, touring windshield. I have a comfort seat and rear rack with back seat support. I also have a tank bag and a rear seat bag, for when my sweetheart isn't behind me.

I have highway pegs that allow for comfort on road trips. I'm adding peg extenders for the rear seat passenger.

I got rid of the wind deflectors, and I'm really glad I did. They collected heat and gas fumes, and worse, directed airflow directly onto my hands, causing my hands to freeze as soon as the temperature dropped.

Any suggestions for soft saddle bags?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I love my 2008 RS (Premier Edition 2646), tricked out for touring. I have the tall, touring windshield. I have a comfort seat and rear rack with back seat support. I also have a tank bag and a rear seat bag, for when my sweetheart isn't behind me.

I have highway pegs that allow for comfort on road trips. I'm adding peg extenders for the rear seat passenger.

I got rid of the wind deflectors, and I'm really glad I did. They collected heat and gas fumes, and worse, directed airflow directly onto my hands, causing my hands to freeze as soon as the temperature dropped.

Why soft saddlebags? Get a set of Corbin hard saddlebags or Givi's. Look better and safer. David

·
Registered
306 Posts

I agree about get rid of the wind deflectors! I had them on for one short ride and could smell the exhaust fumes and like you said they deflect the wind right at my hands. It was raining lightly and the top of my hands were dry while the fingures were wet on the bottom of the handgrip :eek:.

I have many of the same mods and it does make the ride better. I will be going to Spyderfest in Cuba, MO in a little over a week :D, about 1000 miles total. This will be my first long trip to test out my comfort mods.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I was just mentioning highway pegs for the RS to my husband yesterday. You like them? What about the comfort seat... what kind is it and why is it so comfortable? We rode 100 miles Saturday and 250 on Sunday, and I felt the seat by the time we were through. I'd like to be uber comfortable and ready to roll for longer periods of time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts